E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-10-2003, 01:26 AM   #1
funkeycold
Top Marketing Student

My Ride: Silver 2001 330i
Send a message via AIM to funkeycold Send a message via Yahoo to funkeycold
Brakes don't stop well in rain...problem or normal?

When I'm driving on the freeway in the rain, and I need to slow down for whatever reason, the brakes don't seem to respond for the first couple seconds I push on them.

It would seem normal to get a little water onto the disks or something, therefore demanding a little bit more time for them to "heat up" or something, but should it be taking this long for the brakes to actually start braking? It's like a 2 second delay before it starts to grab well. Even if I hit the brakes hard it still has a second or so delay before it really kicks in.

2001 330i, Titanium Silver
-- Clear turn signals
-- UUC SwayBarbarians, front/rear
funkeycold is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:28 AM   #2
K-DOG
P.I.M.P.

My Ride: 2002, 330i 5spd
hmm my brakes stop well in the rain, the problem arises when my car slides forward anyways....if this happens you need better tires.

Go to the $tealer, have them check it out. This is a potentially serious problem...maybe you need new brake pads.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:28 AM   #3
GarrettF
needs a new sig...

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to GarrettF
what condition are your tires in?? this cold be the nitto's aybe their wet grip isnt as good as their dry grip
Old 03-10-2003, 01:35 AM   #4
a s u r a 0 s 9
Nikkei is a $lut.

My Ride: is always in a shop
....sounds like a serious problem to me...
Old 03-10-2003, 02:31 AM   #5
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

My Ride: ESS TS2+ 330Ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Dirtboy
have you got the M tech front bumper? i have that problem in the rain too. the problem for me is that the brake cooling ducts suck up an a-load of water....
Old 03-10-2003, 03:30 AM   #6
funkeycold
Top Marketing Student

Nope, my car is at stock as can be. I may be exaggerating on the delay of the brakes, but it still has a delay in when I push the brake and when the brakes actually start to grab. It feels like water is between the pads and the disc. On any dry day, I can lightly tap the brake and the car will jerk, obviously from the brakes being applied. In the rain, it seems I push the pedal the same exact way and the brakes will grab after I've help the pedal for a second or so. I guess a good way to look at this problem is to imagine that your brakes are really fading. You press the pedal, and you have to really press them hard/hold them before the car starts to slow down. This is the same thing, but only in the rain.

I will go to the dealer and have them check it out...it's happened every time it rained decently hard.

-- Clear turn signals
Old 03-10-2003, 06:44 AM   #7
HYPER330Ci

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to HYPER330Ci
I know what you mean.....

I know exactly what you mean. I posted the same problem here last week. Let me know what the dealer says. I have to resort to pumping the brakes evrey few miles to be on the safe side. I too thought it was due to to brake ducts sucking in so much water. But this can't be safe. Didn't BMW research this before putting this into production? Keep us posted.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:13 AM   #8
Nick325xiT 5spd
BMW Land Barge

My Ride: '04 M3 & '99 323i
Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd
Are your brake dust shields intact?
Old 03-10-2003, 11:54 AM   #9
Jack_Smackus
Knight Rider

My Ride: 1993 BMW 320i
I get the same problem. Called dealer. Their response was that brakes get cold and have to be kept warm. I do the same thing as Hyper330ci. I just tap them every couple of clicks. The trick is to remember.
Jack_Smackus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 12:45 PM   #10
Paul330ci

My Ride: 2001 330ci
This is not a new revelation. Of course the brakes will not work as well when it's wet. Why would they.

Whenever I go through a puddle I keep light pressure on the brakes to keep them warm. I also leave extra space when driving in the rain for the same reason.
Paul330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 03:07 PM   #11
funkeycold
Top Marketing Student

Yes, I know that the brakes aren't going to work as well in the rain. I said that in my first post.

I'm just saying that it seems like it takes way too long for the brakes to warm-up. I don't even get full braking power for at least a whole second, maybe two.

I drove my VR4 Spyder in the rain all the time, and it never had this much of a problem. Yeah, of course there was a little bit of warming up needed, but it wasn't this bad.

-- Clear turn signals
Old 03-16-2004, 09:41 PM   #12
getchellad
Living Large

My Ride: 02 330xi, 01 C320,
Send a message via AIM to getchellad
Ha.... I was wondering why my car is doing this, and it appears that other people have the same problem. You really have to mash you brakes at first in the rain until it almost seams to burn the water off and then they work great. I was discussing this with my dad, and he told me that in older cars you would have to do this, and after the water burned off etc... or whatever happens without antilock brakes the tires would lock up as soon as the brakes started to grab.

Oh yeah... I have the Metech front bumper.... ummm... I wonder if there's a patern here.
getchellad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:17 PM   #13
notb

My Ride: '03 330Ci S/P/W/Xen
Well, for whatever it's worth, my 2003 330Ci has the same delay when braking in heavy rain or water puddles. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed this. What is funny is that this is the first car I have that has such a huge delay. It must have something to do with the disc and/or wheel design.

I guess I now understand why on the Maybach they have a rain sensor that moves the pad just close enough to the disc to remove the water without actually applying the brakes.

BTW, I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I figured any tidbit of info could help someone else searching the forums as I have done.
notb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:45 AM   #14
audioaffliction

My Ride: 87 M6
Hmmm...I find this relatively normal. My old Saab had exactly the same problem you guys describe, gradually getting worse as the pads wore. Even with new pads, I'd have the same problem after getting the car washed. On my 330Ci, I find the car to be great in the rain, including braking. But then again, my car's only a day old at this point. I'd check the pads first before anything else. And maybe the surface of the disc as well. Good luck, everyone!
audioaffliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:19 AM   #15
E46Mbies

My Ride: E46M3,Clk55
same problem with my audi and m3.

Even driving freeway without any traffic, I keep brake every few miles in raining day.
Dont let your brake gets cold.
E46Mbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:46 AM   #16
SteelBlueXI

My Ride: BMW
Brakes getting cold is one thing. A 1-2 second delay in your braking should NOT be normal. My car was doing this and I thought the brake ducts were sucking up a lot of water. I checked out the brake ducts and they actually suck air behind the entire wheel hub, so that wouldn't be it.

I took it to the dealer and they replaced my front pads and rotors. Guess what? Problem gone.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:00 AM   #17
Staszek
Are we there yet??

My Ride: Now a daily drive
Send a message via AIM to Staszek
I dont have the Mtech but I do have the sport bumper and I noticed a difference when I changed from the stock 323 bumper to the 330i sport bumper, I think it definetly lets in more water, the first time I pump it clears the water away second time they work fine. It only happens when it rains really hard though.

Euro Delivery Date 8/14: 2013 E93
///M3 -6MT
Staszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:03 PM   #18
Sixxxpack

My Ride: E 46 330 cd Cabrio
old thread but actual problem

Hello everyone...

I found this thread by searching for the words "problem brake rain"...and I can tell you that in Germany lots of people have this massive delay of brake function in hard rain - especially in winter - too.

Here you get a link to a german board to see how many people in their 330s of the E46 model have this problem. We are about 60 people driving 330s. The problem exists at all kinds of model: Touring, Limousine, Cabrio and Coupe. Also Gasoline or DIESEL. All these cars have the same braking wheels and pads.

http://www.auto-treff.com/bmw/vb/sho...5&pagenumber=1

Checkin out the data of the first - about fourty cars - told us, that the appearance of the problem is not a problem of the M TECH II BUMPER.
Also the "Stock" cars have the same problem.

But in Germany one can buy a special brake, offered by BMW. Its called "Compound BREMSE"

We in Germany can`t believe that we should pay extra money to get a brake system that works fine/well. In our opinion the cars are much to expensive to buy optional tuning kits to get the brakes work as they should do.

Does anyone here know if anyone outside Germany has won against BMW e.g. "on court = "vor Gericht" => that BMW had to mount the slotted rotors on the car??

Greeeetz Sixxx
(sorry for my bad english, lessons were long ago)
Old 04-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #19
mzarolinski

My Ride: 07 335i
Send a message via AIM to mzarolinski
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkeycold
When I'm driving on the freeway in the rain, and I need to slow down for whatever reason, the brakes don't seem to respond for the first couple seconds I push on them.

It would seem normal to get a little water onto the disks or something, therefore demanding a little bit more time for them to "heat up" or something, but should it be taking this long for the brakes to actually start braking? It's like a 2 second delay before it starts to grab well. Even if I hit the brakes hard it still has a second or so delay before it really kicks in.
This happens to me. It was really scary the first time but now I just anticipate this and all is fine. It is a build up of water on the rotors and pads. This is why BMW has brake pads that gently press against the rotors during precipitation.
mzarolinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:32 PM   #20
gjeldubbimmer

My Ride: has a childseat coco
Hmmm, have it inspected. Are you talking about car slipping after brakes are applied?
gjeldubbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote