E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2006, 01:37 AM   #21
Qshio3000

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkeycold
It's like a 2 second delay before it starts to grab well. Even if I hit the brakes hard it still has a second or so delay before it really kicks in.
Are you serious? At 60mph, two seconds equals 176 feet (88fps). That's more than half a football field at a relatively low speed. I'd get that sh#t checked out ASAP.
Qshio3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:55 AM   #22
notb

My Ride: '03 330Ci S/P/W/Xen
Yeah, Qshio3000, I'm afraid he is serious. It's like this: you drive in the rain (say on the highway), step on the brakes, and for a moment nothing happens. When the pads are finally done wiping the water off the discs, deceleration ensues. It's pretty nerve wracking the first time, especially considering how powerful the brakes are in dry conditions.

Clearly there is something in the design of the bumper, underbody, wheels, etc., that promotes air/water flow towards the discs. This makes sense in a way, because in the dry, you want as much air as possible cooling the discs.

I'm not surprised that the Germans, with their autobahns, have noticed as well. Can you imagine the scare when you're tooling around at 130+mph? As mzarolinski hinted to, this is probably why the new 3 series (E90) has the brake pads move closer to the disc, when the wipers are activated, in an effort to dry out the discs.
notb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #23
acitydweller

My Ride: e46 M3
learn how to drive adaptively to the road conditions. you cant jam on brakes under all conditions and expect the same results.

Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #24
Tenchi
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist

My Ride: 330i, 535i
Send a message via AIM to Tenchi
is this just normal driving? I notice that my brakes do that only when I go snorkeling with my car (unintentional wading through deep waters)

Quote:
Stay away from FedEx if you want your packages delivered in one piece.
Tenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #25
markusmark

My Ride: 2001330Ci
This problem - wet & cold braking - depends on the pads. I had the OEM pads on my car and never had a problem. I switched to Axxis Metal Masters and now I have the problem. After talking with Mike Miller (BMWnsCCA tech guru) about this, he said that it's a combination of the pads and the rotors. Basically, the non-oem pads need heat to operate properly. Solution has 2 parts: anticipate traffic - look ahead of the car in front of you; occassionally depress the brake pedal for about 1 or 2 seconds to heat the pads.
markusmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #26
Sixxxpack

My Ride: E 46 330 cd Cabrio
Hello Again...

does anybody of you know a case in which this problem has ended in an accident.

Here in germany it`s hard to get the evidence that an accident occured because of this problem...

Does anybody of you know such a case`?`?

If someone wants to get more information how many people in Germany have this problem too, please click here:

http://www.auto-treff.com/bmw/vb/sho...hreadid=149271

We are now about 64 people.

Sixxxpack
Old 06-21-2006, 06:46 PM   #27
Staszek
Are we there yet??

My Ride: Now a daily drive
Send a message via AIM to Staszek
I think this problem is really something that people have to live with.

I agree it does it less with OEM pads because of operating temps, and I also agree it will probably do it more on the more aggressive bumper design.

Its kind of a trade off, you want great braking power time after time you need more air to cool the braking system, water will come in the same place that the air is coming in, especially that low to the ground.

I know that this does not happen on all cars, I would be curious to see if it happens on say a porshe due to the large brake ducts.

THe E90 fixed this problem by periodically wiping the rotors clean when the windsheild wipers are on.

I know personally I do the same thing in heavy rain, I tap the brakes every once in a while just to keep them clean and dry for a stop or an emergency stop.

Euro Delivery Date 8/14: 2013 E93
///M3 -6MT
Staszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:01 PM   #28
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I know this is an old thread, but imo this is a fairly serious problem.

Are you guys sure this is normal? My ZHP does this, and it is kind of scary because I probably would end up rear ending someone in the event of an emergency stop. There definitely should not be a 2 second delay before braking force is applied. No other car I've driven (including two other BMWs -- an E46 330xi and an E53 X5) does this.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #29
chrisnetcom

My Ride: 05 330Ci
I've noticed this before in really heavy rain as well. I have to push the pedal harder to get the same amount of stopping power.

What really makes me wonder, is why BMW advertises their 'brake surface drying' technology, when it doesn't seem to work? You know, the one where the brake pad spins real close to the rotor during a rainstorm to keep them dry?
chrisnetcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 AM   #30
notb

My Ride: '03 330Ci S/P/W/Xen
chrisnetcom, how do you know the technology does not work? As far as I know, it's wasn't available on the E46 you're driving.

For what it's worth, when my rotors were due, I installed crossed-drilled ones for show and, over the course of a few rain storms, the problem seems to have largely gone away. I suppose the extra holes allow the water to exit the braking surface that much quicker. Then again, maybe it's just in my head.
notb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:21 AM   #31
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
^Not in your head. Braking with drilled rotors seems to be more responsive under heavy raining. I also have the M3 bumper with the brake ducts, so all of the rain water goes straight to the rotors
Old 12-15-2009, 02:19 AM   #32
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnetcom View Post
I've noticed this before in really heavy rain as well. I have to push the pedal harder to get the same amount of stopping power.

What really makes me wonder, is why BMW advertises their 'brake surface drying' technology, when it doesn't seem to work? You know, the one where the brake pad spins real close to the rotor during a rainstorm to keep them dry?

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #33
chudzikb

My Ride: 04 330ci
Cross drilled is the solution. While they might not be the most durable, they will solve this problem. I do not have the problem on my ZHP, but, if I did, I would be installing cross drilled. Had another car that did that, the 1-2 second delay seems like a lifetime! Cross drilled fixed the problem and I never looked back.
chudzikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #34
TerraPhantm

Would slotted rotors work too? I was planning on buying the Stoptech Stage2 kit from mod bargains, but they don't seem to offer drilled rotors.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #35
Anthony@F1 AutohaŘs
THE BRAKE GOD :D

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via AIM to Anthony@F1 AutohaŘs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Would slotted rotors work too? I was planning on buying the Stoptech Stage2 kit from mod bargains, but they don't seem to offer drilled rotors.
We offer Drilled We have the Same Kit with Free Shipping

-Anthony@F1 Autohaus
Anthony@F1 AutohaŘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #36
chrisnetcom

My Ride: 05 330Ci
Notb, you are indeed correct! The brake drying feature was introduced to the 3 series with the e90.
chrisnetcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #37
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony@F1 AutohaŘs View Post
We offer Drilled We have the Same Kit with Free Shipping

-Anthony@F1 Autohaus
ygpm
Old 12-16-2009, 01:46 AM   #38
rovert

My Ride: Zaps Horse Poo!!
Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
I have the same problem too with my OEM blanks/OEM pads. It's probably only 1/2 a second but when travelling at speed, that abnormal feeling, feels like a lifetime.

After getting zimmerman/bremo drilled rotors matched with OEM pads, the problem has been helped a little but I still get that brief moment where the water on the cold/wet rotor needs to be cleared for maximum friction.

Maybe there is a combination that can defy that feeling? I just make sure I keep my distance on the highway. Off the highway I never have that pause of no brake friction.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:49 AM   #39
Define ///M3

My Ride: Dream 2 B Suprchrgd
get that checked out man, not something you want to wait around for

AKA Huggy1989
"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."- WP
Define ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #40
TerraPhantm

Seems that the common link is the M-Tech front bumper. I know this will get me in trouble eventually.