E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Another ESS TS2 Customer

Iím just about to redeploy back home, so I took advantage of European Supercharger Systemís (ESS) lowered prices and ordered a TS2 (stealth version) for my 2004 330i ZHP. Iím pretty excited with the prospect of installing it; Iíve been looking forward to it for the last six months. I'm hoping that the Customs bill is not going to surprise me. Iíll install it during my post-deployment leave, assuming that the bimmer easily starts after a year of solitary confinement, the shoes hold air, and my wife doesnít have too many other projects for me to do.

TS2 installation has been covered in good detail by others, so Iíll limit documenting my experiences to what hasnít been covered in the past. Iíll also be installing senders for oil pressure, oil temperature and water temperature gauges during the installation, as well as a new Stewart water pump, thermostat, fuel filter, and a catch can.

I selected ESSís twin screw system because it met my FI goals the best:

-50%+ increase in HP and torque
-Stock appearance
-Pass CARB emissions testing, including the visual test (I know that a sharp inspector could fail me)
-Low RPM torque
-Reliable
-Easy installation
-Company with a good customer service record

I understand that Technique Tuningís turbocharger system would fit most of my needs and then some, but it isnít as stealthy as ESSí twin screw; I donít want to fail a roadside or smog visual inspection. AAís supercharger is also a quality piece, but it too doesnít have a stock appearance or the same low RPM torque as TT or ESS. Also, ESSí reduction of induction plumbing is a plus; I had occasional problems with intake tubes/joints working themselves loose on my modified E36 Dinan supercharger. Once I install the TS, I don't want to have to perform monthly maintenance on it.

I hope to post again in a few weeks with pictures when I have something to report.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
BMW_Matt

My Ride: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
Iím just about to redeploy back home, so I took advantage of European Supercharger Systemís (ESS) lowered prices and ordered a TS2 (stealth version) for my 2004 330i ZHP. Iím pretty excited with the prospect of installing it; Iíve been looking forward to it for the last six months. I'm hoping that the Customs bill is not going to surprise me. Iíll install it during my post-deployment leave, assuming that the bimmer easily starts after a year of solitary confinement, the shoes hold air, and my wife doesnít have too many other projects for me to do.

TS2 installation has been covered in good detail by others, so Iíll limit documenting my experiences to what hasnít been covered in the past. Iíll also be installing senders for oil pressure, oil temperature and water temperature gauges during the installation, as well as a new Stewart water pump, thermostat, fuel filter, and a catch can.

I selected ESSís twin screw system because it met my FI goals the best:

-50%+ increase in HP and torque
-Stock appearance
-Pass CARB emissions testing, including the visual test (I know that a sharp inspector could fail me)
-Low RPM torque
-Reliable
-Easy installation
-Company with a good customer service record

I understand that Technique Tuningís turbocharger system would fit most of my needs and then some, but it isnít as stealthy as ESSí twin screw; I donít want to fail a roadside or smog visual inspection. AAís supercharger is also a quality piece, but it too doesnít have a stock appearance or the same low RPM torque as TT or ESS. Also, ESSí reduction of induction plumbing is a plus; I had occasional problems with intake tubes/joints working themselves loose on my modified E36 Dinan supercharger. Once I install the TS, I don't want to have to perform monthly maintenance on it.

I hope to post again in a few weeks with pictures when I have something to report.
Glad to hear man. What was the total price you paid? And you're right about the AA's supercharger. Would not want to be riding around with something that obvious. You must be from Cali?
But good luck with it and thank you for serving our country!
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
10psie46

My Ride: e46 non m
Congtats, But I would have went with AA.
10psie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
I failed the visual inspection and passed the smog test with flying colors with the TS2
Old 11-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
lkstaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
I failed the visual inspection and passed the smog test with flying colors with the TS2
???? I thought that you passed smog with the extra valve cover mod that you did.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
paraklas

Failed visual --> put extra cover --> passed visual + smog
Old 11-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Richaraiza

My Ride: TS2+ 330ci, 135i
Send a message via AIM to Richaraiza Send a message via Yahoo to Richaraiza
Congrats and welcome. Sorry to say, but any FI system you are going to want to check often. IMO, you made a good choice. You autocross?
Richaraiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
BadBoostedBmwM3

My Ride: 323i & e36 Turbo M3
Congratulations!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #9
e46craze
Euro.Techniks

My Ride: ESS TS2 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to e46craze
excellent choice...twin screw FTW

|ESS TS2|Bimmerbrakes Powdercoated Headers|MB Quart|Memphis|3.46 DIFF
//M3 Control Arms|Orion V2 LED|6K D2S|8K Fogs|//M3 Shift Knob|Eurospec Hamann Front Lip|OEM Cross Drilled Rotors|UUC Stage 3 Clutch/Flywheel|Black Roof|VMR 710s|Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec|Hotchkis Front Sway
FULL I.C.E FOR SALE - PM ME FOR DETAILS (Only Serious Buyers Only)
e46craze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
lkstaack

Returned from deployment to find that some rats had built a nest on top of my engine compartment using the hood insulation. Removed the nest, checked for damage, and then fired her up. Started right up after a year in my garage. The fuel stabalizer and battery tender did their jobs. Cleaned the engine bay for my "before twinscrew" photos:

Next, I had my "before twinscrew" dyno. Note the drop at 4K: seems to be pulling timing for some reason. Expected to reach at least 200 HP on this Dynojet machine; but at least I have a baseline. Had my dyno at Superior Automotive of Anaheim. Very good experience; friendly, knowledgeable, and not too expensive.

I faxed my customs docs to FedEx today, so I should receive my TS2 next week.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:19 PM   #11
Richaraiza

What is the altitude at where you did the dyno? Just trying to compare altitude differences for stock dyno readouts.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #12
Minnoe07

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
That dip seems consistent with my baseline dyno as well.

2004 330Ci 6 Speed; UUC Sway Bars; Powerflex RTAB's and FCAB's; KW V2 Coilovers; 3.38 OS Giken LSD
Z4 Finned Diff Cover; Headers; M-Tech II Rear Bumper and CF Diffusor; CF Trunk; CSL Front Bumper
M3 CF Hood; DICE I-Pod Kit; JTD Rear Shock Mounts; UUC Front Strut Bar; O2 Simulators
ESS TS2 Twin Screw Supercharger

Minnoe07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #13
lkstaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richaraiza View Post
What is the altitude at where you did the dyno? Just trying to compare altitude differences for stock dyno readouts.
About 500 ft above sea level.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:08 AM   #14
Richaraiza

Ok, cool. Yeah, should have my update in soon of my dyno on my thread. I finally found my stock dyno. I also have that same drop on my dyno. I'm at about 5800-6500 elevation.

*EDIT* Nvrmd. not working. I'll try again later.

Last edited by Richaraiza; 11-26-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #15
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
i had the same dip and about the same hp/tq when stock
Old 11-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #16
e46craze
Euro.Techniks

My Ride: ESS TS2 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to e46craze
the TS just keeps pulling at every gear...you will love every second of it, I promise you

|ESS TS2|Bimmerbrakes Powdercoated Headers|MB Quart|Memphis|3.46 DIFF
//M3 Control Arms|Orion V2 LED|6K D2S|8K Fogs|//M3 Shift Knob|Eurospec Hamann Front Lip|OEM Cross Drilled Rotors|UUC Stage 3 Clutch/Flywheel|Black Roof|VMR 710s|Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec|Hotchkis Front Sway
FULL I.C.E FOR SALE - PM ME FOR DETAILS (Only Serious Buyers Only)
e46craze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:42 AM   #17
lkstaack

Drained all fluids, Pulled my diff (replacing open gears with Quaif), and pulled the DME. But started with a base line compression test.

I discovered three interesting things: 1) the #2 spark plug recess was a reservoir of enginge oil (valve cover gasket kit on the way); 2) I had the exact same compression on all cylinders (didn't do #2 because it would just introduce alot of oil into the cylinder); and 3) all cylinders seem low.

All five cylinders tested held 150 lbs of pressure. This is low, isn't it? My ZHP only has 48K miles on it. Since it is on the low side, can I run more boost?
Old 12-02-2009, 05:49 AM   #18
Richaraiza

I don't think its low. I ran a compression test on mine a month ago and it ran 147 in all but one cylinder which read 145. According to the manual that's normal. You should be good.

Could you write a review on install difficulty, and feel? I'm thinking of getting a diff myself. Are you going to get a finned cover for the diff? You should.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #19
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
Drained all fluids, Pulled my diff (replacing open gears with Quaif), and pulled the DME. But started with a base line compression test.

I discovered three interesting things: 1) the #2 spark plug recess was a reservoir of enginge oil (valve cover gasket kit on the way); 2) I had the exact same compression on all cylinders (didn't do #2 because it would just introduce alot of oil into the cylinder); and 3) all cylinders seem low.

All five cylinders tested held 150 lbs of pressure. This is low, isn't it? My ZHP only has 48K miles on it. Since it is on the low side, can I run more boost?
I was at 165-170 PSI on all 6 cylinders pre-TS2
Old 12-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #20
Len013091

My Ride: S52 E30, 330i
Send a message via AIM to Len013091
Mine checked to be around 170-175psi when I ran mine. My car also put down about 198-200 to the wheels when stock on a dynojet. It also looks like they're in 4th gear. On our cars, 5th is the 1:1 ratio.
Len013091 is offline   Reply With Quote