E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
Torque

My Ride: BMW 320d SE
320d Swirl Flaps Solution

Hello my fellow BMW owners, I have recently purchased a BMW 320d, and have since discovered its famous reliablity issues, namely Turbo Failure and Swirl Flaps being sucked into the engine, i researched this and thought I may as well make my first post a useful one and I have included a link on how to sort the swirl flap problem, and will shortly be posting a lot of useful information that I feel needs to be covered with regards to Uprating the standard Turbo on the car to prevent any possible failure.

Mods- New to the forum so please move thread if you feel it is in the wrong section.

Guide to eliminating swirl flap problem:

http://www.pmwltd.co.uk/swirl_flaps.pdf

Looking forward to becoming an active member on the forums.

Jon
Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
BimmerDan

My Ride: 320d SE
You are a legend!! I've just purchased an 02 320d and plan on getting rid of the swirl flaps. Have ordered some blanking plates from PMW.

Any news on the Turbo issue?

Cheers
Dan
BimmerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
The flaps are there for a reason. A better solution would be checking with the dealer if there is a newer part for the part installed on the car. For something like this, BMW would have corrected the problem on the new part.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Is this only for diesel's?
Old 01-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDan View Post
You are a legend!! I've just purchased an 02 320d and plan on getting rid of the swirl flaps. Have ordered some blanking plates from PMW.

Any news on the Turbo issue?

Cheers
Dan
Unfortunately not! The only thing I can suggest is making sure your turbo gets a thorough check up when being serviced to prevent failure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
Is this only for diesel's?
It most certainly is my friend.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
If you are so intended on keeping them (GoingNuts) , i would weld the screws from the back.

Although a delete would be preferable, great post OP !
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Torque

Cheers Pir4t!

Some other good advice/information regarding 320d maintenance

The Crankcase Breather is extremely critical to the life of the turbo, I personally have started changing mine every 20k miles, it costs about 35 from a BMW Dealer and will take about 2 hours of your time (most of which is replacing the huge amount of covers and plastic around the engine). Replacing the air filter is also a major pain in the arse on these cars, but should also be done every 10k miles, its a good idea to schedule the air filter change at the same time as the Crankcase breather renewal, as the Air filter housing has to come off to access the Crankcase filter.

Incidentally, BMW have changed the design of the crankcase breather too (which I think speaks volumes!). The BMW dealers have also incorporated a change of this filter as part of every inspection 2 as well!, but this is a recent introduction of many cars of this age, never had them changed as part of the servicing routine, and I don't doubt that the one on your 320D was an original. I changed mine at 98k miles, and it was literally black with old oil - that looked original too........

Its actually better to buy a new turbo, rather than a reconditioned one. Purely because there have been people on the BMW Owners forum who have had recon's fitted, and have not been happy with the results ranging from the car feeling underpowered to experiencing a further failure shortly after. One poor bloke changed his twice before the car actually ran better. You will also get a decent warranty with a new turbo too, which may help to restore your enjoyment of the car!.

For a new turbo, I recommend:-

http://www.turboactive.com/

If you do need the injectors reconditioning, then these guys are also highly recommended, i'm sure you'll find them much cheaper than the price you have got so far.

http://www.diesel-injection-services.co.uk/index.htm
http://www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/

A blast of Forte Diesel Treatment (About 8) is also great at sorting out injector spray patterns and declogging injectors on common rail cars. Personally I would get the turbo replaced and give it a blast with that before committing to any new or reconditioned injectors.

Also don't fall for any crap that they may give you about replacing the exhaust or Cat convertor, this is often another ruse to part you from more cash. When these turbos go they can send oil into the exhaust system and they'll try to sell you a new one!. Just pour the oil out of the system and intercooler then go for a few long late night drives to burn off the excess oil. It will smoke like hell for 100 or so miles, but its cheaper than 800+ for a new exhaust and 2 cats.

These cars a brilliant when they are running, very economical and powerful with it, however they do need to be 'over serviced' to avoid expensive problems like this. Certainly change the oil at least once between the indicated services on the computer, and the air filter and crankcase breather too!.

If you do keep the car, then its also recommended to clean the EGR (easy diy job!) and you may want to fit the new uprated manifold too (300 supply only or 600ish for a dealer to fit) for additional peace of mind.

If you did these replacements, and kept religiously to the list of 'must dos' in the list above, then you may even get another 100k out of it.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
ShaanK

My Ride: 320cd Msport >390nm
Alrighty lads

I had this problem just over a year ago, 2 of the flaps broke off, got sucked in and basically wasted everything. Car is a 53 plate, and BMW funded a brand new replacement engine after I had a go about it for a couple of weeks. The new revised parts don't have the same design of flaps. So 54 plate and later I believe not to have this issue anymore. And it's on the 320d engine that is affected for the person that asked.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaanK View Post
Alrighty lads

I had this problem just over a year ago, 2 of the flaps broke off, got sucked in and basically wasted everything. Car is a 53 plate, and BMW funded a brand new replacement engine after I had a go about it for a couple of weeks. The new revised parts don't have the same design of flaps. So 54 plate and later I believe not to have this issue anymore. And it's on the 320d engine that is affected for the person that asked.
How many miles had you done Shaank?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Cloudbase

My Ride: M Coupe, 325xiT
Good write up. I wish we had 120d's here in the states. I wish BMW would import them and give the Prius a run for its money. I drove one in Western Australia and loved it! I've played with the idea of importing one or trying to find one.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:10 AM   #11
Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudbase View Post
Good write up. I wish we had 120d's here in the states. I wish BMW would import them and give the Prius a run for its money. I drove one in Western Australia and loved it! I've played with the idea of importing one or trying to find one.
Are there many cars that BM don't import to the States? to you get the X3, X5 and X6?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:23 AM   #12
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque View Post
Are there many cars that BM don't import to the States? to you get the X3, X5 and X6?
No 4 cylinders, no special spec M cars (CSL, GTS etc), no BMW individual cars, and very few diesel models (although that's changing).
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #13
Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acarder View Post
No 4 cylinders, no special spec M cars (CSL, GTS etc), no BMW individual cars, and very few diesel models (although that's changing).
sh1t! I dont suppose the diesels are too important as petrol is so cheap in the US! how much do you pay for a litre/gallon?
Old 02-03-2010, 04:14 AM   #14
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
Quote:
sh1t! I dont suppose the diesels are too important as petrol is so cheap in the US! how much do you pay for a litre/gallon?
Well here it's 1.90/liter or over 7 dollars a gallon for 95 (91-92 to you Americans) but we're having a good period.. I remember when it was topping almost 2.50/liter. Thats in NZD mind you, but you might as well take it in pounds if you want a comparison as wages are **** all here

On the contrast, diesel is a little over a dollar a liter... makes me wish I had a 330d at times.
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:15 AM   #15
mkodama

Quote:
My area has some of the highest gas prices in the country, but still it's just a fraction compared to european prices. $3.30 a gallon for premium here.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:55 AM   #16
Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
My area has some of the highest gas prices in the country, but still it's just a fraction compared to european prices. $3.30 a gallon for premium here.
Just worked out the equivilent price per us gallon over here in $

$6.86 a gallon

Last edited by Torque; 02-03-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #17
Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
The flaps are there for a reason. A better solution would be checking with the dealer if there is a newer part for the part installed on the car. For something like this, BMW would have corrected the problem on the new part.
They are there to keep emmisions down at idle, so removing them is a much better option than risking having to fork out for a new engine.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
ShaanK

Quote:
How many miles had you done Shaank?
A lot! About 70k!

i.e. now I have a new engine, with full BMW warranty Oh and it was mapped before breaking and they did not care
Old 02-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
ShaanK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acarder View Post
see post I put about regarding US models vs UK models....

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=737087
Old 06-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #20
chocolatebrownie

My Ride: 320d touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaanK View Post
Alrighty lads

Did I read correctly that BMW funded a new engine?? How did you manage to acheive that?? Same thing happened to us and we now have a useless car sitting in the drive with a completely knackered engine. Only response I have had from BMW has been negative. They have no intention of supporting us in this issue and I would value ANY information which would help me in getting them to take responsibility for this. Many thanks!
chocolatebrownie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swirl flap, swirl flaps, turbo