E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #41
daedalus34r

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
so a reflash at the dealer loses your high beam functionality? how can we get a reflash and get around losing our high beams?
To gently correct your statement: You lose LOCK-ON [turn signal stalk away], you will keep FLASH-TO-PASS [turn signal stalk towards you]. I'm not screaming with the caps , just making an emphasis so i'm clear. Losing this feature is a big deal for some, so make sure you evaluate your usage of locked on high beams [living in rural areas for example]

To get around the other options are:

a) go with a vendor with error canceling ballasts. Umnitza provides them tho I did not receive them with my shipment so i could not test them. I'm sure they work fine.

b) capacitor mod, requires some skills with wiring/soldering ... but I'm hearing positive things about it. It's cheap too. Essentially it fakes out the computer thinking you are still drawing energy like a halogen bulb, so no bulb-out errors, etc. Since you dont reflash, you keep all the original functionality the halogens had.
daedalus34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #42
daedalus34r

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntass View Post
hi, whats your $5 tool from home depot called?
I dont know the exact term, but it's like a wire fish/claw.

When i went to home depot, i asked for a tool with extended reach and a magnet. This wire claw thing was right next to it. It has proved very useful in other mods.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #43
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus34r View Post
To gently correct your statement: You lose LOCK-ON [turn signal stalk away], you will keep FLASH-TO-PASS [turn signal stalk towards you]. I'm not screaming with the caps , just making an emphasis so i'm clear. Losing this feature is a big deal for some, so make sure you evaluate your usage of locked on high beams [living in rural areas for example]

To get around the other options are:

a) go with a vendor with error canceling ballasts. Umnitza provides them tho I did not receive them with my shipment so i could not test them. I'm sure they work fine.

b) capacitor mod, requires some skills with wiring/soldering ... but I'm hearing positive things about it. It's cheap too. Essentially it fakes out the computer thinking you are still drawing energy like a halogen bulb, so no bulb-out errors, etc. Since you dont reflash, you keep all the original functionality the halogens had.
so the best alternative to p46's for facelift is to get oem bixenon and then get them flashed at the dealer?

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #44
daedalus34r

If you decide to get OEM bixenon... I think there is alot of extra work you need to do to get the leveling features and bixenon cutoff motors to work correctly. I am pretty sure sure it is not a simple swap job like the P46 is.

the oem xenon has more advanced features so to get them all working for a car that did not have it to begin with will involve more work. For halogens, when you flash the high beam it just activates the inner lights. For bi-xenon, it activates a mechanical system to raise a lever to let more light out of the projector/xenon lamp. So you need to account for the wiring and motors that make the high-beam setup work when retrofitting.

I'd recommend you search or even contact snowcatz, the guy above i was having a "friendly" discussion with. he is a big oem xenon fan so he can point you in the right direction. Otherwise, just search the forums for a retrofit guide.

When you get all of THAT done, then a final reflash will be needed to accept xenons.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #45
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
I just want to chime in and say I have P46's from Umnitza. I bought them because:

-I wanted Xenon headlights
-I wanted Orion V2 AE's
-I wanted OEM look without "ass raping" OEM price of the headlights

I am VERY pleased with them. The quality is great and the fitment is perfect. So perfect that I retained my OEM lenses (they were pretty new and I didn't want "DEPO" on my lense) and the little rubber weather strip thing. Cutoff isn't that of an S2000 or TSX but damn, it's still not bad and definitely an improvement over the cap halogen housings. The only complaint I have is that my ballasts sh!t themselves after about a year and 12k miles or so. Not a huge deal, I ended up getting a full 55w 6000k HID kit from lightwerkz and let me tell you, its FANTASTIC.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with my P46's and would definitely buy them again knowing what I know now.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #46
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
deadalus look here, I responded to you:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=716951&page=2

Also, I have posted up cutoff differences and you can see for yourself.
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #47
daedalus34r

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcatxx87 View Post
deadalus look here, I responded to you:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=716951&page=2

Also, I have posted up cutoff differences and you can see for yourself.
I appreciate the effort to put up photos, but they are difficult to compare, not apples to apples with distance to wall and keeping the same kind of wall.

I think everyone would agree something seems wrong with your P46, the concentration of light doesn't even match mine... and is totally weird. I agree with your assessment that YOUR copy of P46 is inferior to OEM. Every P46 is inherently inferior to the OEM set... but the difference isn't what you make it out to be.

Somewhere you mentioned that you live in a more rural area where lighting for a car is absolutely critical [im pretty sure i read this, correct me if im wrong]. Everyone needs to evaluate how perfect their lighting needs to be. The P46 in my opinion is 8~9/10ths of the OEM for a 5/10ths of the cost [new product comparison].

Did you try to work it out with the vendor your purchased your P46 from? Do you agree that there is a significant difference from my P46 light cutoff picture compared to yours?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #48
spennI

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntass View Post
hi, whats your $5 tool from home depot called?
I got mine from Sears in the auto tools section.
spennI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #49
spennI

OP: Thanks for the awesome write-up.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #50
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws View Post
I just want to chime in and say I have P46's from Umnitza. I bought them because:

-I wanted Xenon headlights
-I wanted Orion V2 AE's
-I wanted OEM look without "ass raping" OEM price of the headlights

I am VERY pleased with them. The quality is great and the fitment is perfect. So perfect that I retained my OEM lenses (they were pretty new and I didn't want "DEPO" on my lense) and the little rubber weather strip thing. Cutoff isn't that of an S2000 or TSX but damn, it's still not bad and definitely an improvement over the cap halogen housings. The only complaint I have is that my ballasts sh!t themselves after about a year and 12k miles or so. Not a huge deal, I ended up getting a full 55w 6000k HID kit from lightwerkz and let me tell you, its FANTASTIC.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with my P46's and would definitely buy them again knowing what I know now.
Thanks for the great review. im still trying to wrap my brain around how high beams locked on will still work on the p46's as i dont want dash lights on and want a simple install (factory style). High beams are required to pass inspection here and if i reflash, i lose that...

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #51
daedalus34r

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Thanks for the great review. im still trying to wrap my brain around how high beams locked on will still work on the p46's as i dont want dash lights on and want a simple install (factory style). High beams are required to pass inspection here and if i reflash, i lose that...
In that case contact a vendor that can supply error-cancelling ballasts. Umnitza has some that they typically ship out with their P46. Other option is the capacitor mod, highly worth it if you can do some soldering .
Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #52
spennI

I purchased the following P46 headlights from Umnitza:

P46 Configuration: 6000K Slim H7 HID + Orion V2

The installation went smooth w/o any major complications. I had a chance to drive my car tonight and noticed the headlights weren't hitting the rear license plate of the car in front of me and the headlights hit the ground more than anything else. It appears I need to adjust the headlights but I wanted to get you guys input.

Take a look at the following pics. Please direct me to a successfully implemented P46 adjustment DIY if my suspicions are correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0628.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	342738   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0629.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	342739  
Old 12-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #53
tavuslokus

My Ride: Steel Grey FTW
Would like to thank OP, this one helped me during the installation of my p46's also.

Regarding this last post I think there's something wrong with those bulbs.
Color output seems rather odd. Left one is blue, right side seems more yellow.

Couple helpful links:

DIY: Aligning Xenon Headlights for Dummies by rovert

How To Aim Headlamps and Auxiliary Lamps by Daniel Stern

* Panama City, Panama * CSL 18" + Toyo P4s * Umnitza P46 + Orion V2 AEs * HID Fogs * Smoked Corner & Sidemarkers + Smoked EE LED Tails * Matte Black Grills * LED Plate + Reverse lights *

Last edited by tavuslokus; 12-30-2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Links
tavuslokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #54
snowcatxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by spennI View Post
I purchased the following P46 headlights from Umnitza:

P46 Configuration: 6000K Slim H7 HID + Orion V2

The installation went smooth w/o any major complications. I had a chance to drive my car tonight and noticed the headlights weren't hitting the rear license plate of the car in front of me and the headlights hit the ground more than anything else. It appears I need to adjust the headlights but I wanted to get you guys input.

Take a look at the following pics. Please direct me to a successfully implemented P46 adjustment DIY if my suspicions are correct.

Oh wow. That is terrible. Adjusted or not, lmao, that is terrible.

Sorry deadularus or whatever your name is... how can you respond to that? (besides the bulbs being different temp) How is that a good cutoff? The beam pattern and spread.....
Old 01-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #55
daedalus34r

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcatxx87 View Post
Oh wow. That is terrible. Adjusted or not, lmao, that is terrible.

Sorry deadularus or whatever your name is... how can you respond to that? (besides the bulbs being different temp) How is that a good cutoff? The beam pattern and spread.....
Yea im just checking into the forums now and saw that.... that light pattern is baffling.

Why arent the left and ride side colors matching?

That light distribution doesn't match mine at all.

SpennI: Have you started a dialog with Umnitza? They need to work with you to replace those headlights and deliver you a complete product. If that is really how you got the headlights then Umnitza needs to start testing products before they ship them. A work bench battery hookup is all that's needed to check light color/cutoff before boxing them up. Lets see if the sponsor can jump in and do something.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #56
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Yea im just checking into the forums now and saw that.... that light pattern is baffling.

SpennI: Have you started a dialog with Umnitza? They need to work with you to replace those headlights and deliver you a complete product. If that is really how you got the headlights then Umnitza needs to start testing products before they ship them. A work bench battery hookup is all that's needed to check light color/cutoff before boxing them up. Lets see if the sponsor can jump in and do something.
The lights received are not the Premium but the "lite" product. We are working with the customer on resolving this, however, one of the reasons this is occurring is the customer overadjusted his adjuster and it popped out - so the headlight is not being secured at the top.

The different light output is likely a result of either 1) a bad bulb which we will warranty immediately or 2) a bad seating on the bulb.

We are in contact with the customer, while he was aware of some of the limitations on the light output quality of these versus the Premium projectors, he will be - hopefully - working with us directly to resolve issues he has. We've actually requested to have that light back to have it fixed.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #57
spennI

Quote:

I'm in communications with Umnitza and expect expedient resolution.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #58
daedalus34r

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
The lights received are not the Premium but the "lite" product. We are working with the customer on resolving this, however, one of the reasons this is occurring is the customer overadjusted his adjuster and it popped out - so the headlight is not being secured at the top.

The different light output is likely a result of either 1) a bad bulb which we will warranty immediately or 2) a bad seating on the bulb.

We are in contact with the customer, while he was aware of some of the limitations on the light output quality of these versus the Premium projectors, he will be - hopefully - working with us directly to resolve issues he has. We've actually requested to have that light back to have it fixed.
Excellent, I'm happy to hear you it's being worked out between customer and vender.

We (forum folks) didnt have the complete information (lite version and over adjusted) ... so it would have been pointless for us to guess at reasons why it wasnt working correctly.

SpennI: Please let us know the resolution, i hope it all works out well in the end.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #59
spennI

I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #60
snowcatxx87

Besides from the things that umnitza can "fix immediately", you still have a projector that cannot be changed unless you get completey new headlights. The cutoff/spread/pattern is terrible. Make sure you post up new pictures after the "resolution".