E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #61
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
looks great!

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #62
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
Sorry for the old thread bump, but in regards to losing your locked high-beams, there is an alternative 3rd solution that no one mentioned yet. You can get your turn-signal stalk re-wired. That's what I did, and it works great, but it's a tad weird in that when you lock your high beams on, the low beams stay on too, so you get a ton of light. I was friendly with one of the senior techs at my old stealer, and he did it for me with a great break on the price.

FWIW, I loved my P46s, but both ballasts died within 2 years, and they both died within a week of one another. Umnitza was more than willing to help, but I got ultra lazy and just re-installed my halogens with new headlight lenses. I still have the P46s though, and I might re-install em some day with better ballasts. They were a LARGE jump in quality and usable light over the stock halogen lights, and I live out in the country where there aren't any street lights. The P46s cast MUCH more light out to the sides of the road, which is crucial when you're trying not to run over skunks/deer/racoons/etc. I lost count of how many times I picked up animal eye reflections on the side of the road, and managed to slow down in time to see a cat jump out in front of me.

The P46s are worth every penny.
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #63
daedalus34r

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Sorry for the old thread bump, but in regards to losing your locked high-beams, there is an alternative 3rd solution that no one mentioned yet. You can get your turn-signal stalk re-wired. That's what I did, and it works great, but it's a tad weird in that when you lock your high beams on, the low beams stay on too, so you get a ton of light. I was friendly with one of the senior techs at my old stealer, and he did it for me with a great break on the price.

FWIW, I loved my P46s, but both ballasts died within 2 years, and they both died within a week of one another. Umnitza was more than willing to help, but I got ultra lazy and just re-installed my halogens with new headlight lenses. I still have the P46s though, and I might re-install em some day with better ballasts. They were a LARGE jump in quality and usable light over the stock halogen lights, and I live out in the country where there aren't any street lights. The P46s cast MUCH more light out to the sides of the road, which is crucial when you're trying not to run over skunks/deer/racoons/etc. I lost count of how many times I picked up animal eye reflections on the side of the road, and managed to slow down in time to see a cat jump out in front of me.

The P46s are worth every penny.
very interesting, i actually never thought about rewiring the stalk. So you just switch around the wires so that pushing forwards engage the 'flash-to-pass'?
daedalus34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #64
lllSupra

My Ride: E46 330i
Nice man I did the same thing retrofitting the orion v2 into the depo projectors, mine turned out great!
lllSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #65
Bartacus

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus34r View Post
very interesting, i actually never thought about rewiring the stalk. So you just switch around the wires so that pushing forwards engage the 'flash-to-pass'?
I'm not exactly sure how it was re-wired. Sorry I can't provide the specifics. I didn't ask for the details.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #66
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
I highly doubt your stalk was re-wired. Sounds like you had the vehicle order changed on your LCM. (programming)
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #67
Bartacus

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcatxx87 View Post
I highly doubt your stalk was re-wired. Sounds like you had the vehicle order changed on your LCM. (programming)
I was there when he had the stalk pulled apart. It was re-wired for sure. I was also flashed for bi-xenons, which is why I needed the re-wire in the first place.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #68
DSpencer18

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci (ZHP)
Send a message via AIM to DSpencer18 Send a message via Skype™ to DSpencer18
Quote:
Umnitza sent me the wrong ballasts. After working with them over email, I was told the ballasts I had were the more expensive, most durable ballasts available...but they lack the error-cancelling ability of the standard ballasts. At first I was very annoyed, but I decided to work with what I had to make things right.

Umnitza told me there were 2 solutions:
1) LCM reflash/Capacitor Method
2) Swap ballasts for the ones I was supposed to get.
I hear this all the time why dont they fix it

2005 BMW 330ci (ZHP)

• Has: - BSW d210 Subs/Amp - iSimple Ipod Integration - Smoked Side Markers - Smoked Reflectors - LED White Interior Lights - Hoen Xenonmatch Fogs - Hardwired Valentine V1 Radar Detector - AVT Ram Air Scoop - BMW Performance Intake - BMW Performance Short Shifter Kit -
    - Lambda Chi Alpha Zeta Phi 1067 and E46Fanatics.com stickers. -
  • DSpencer18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #69
    snowcatxx87

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
    I was there when he had the stalk pulled apart. It was re-wired for sure. I was also flashed for bi-xenons, which is why I needed the re-wire in the first place.

Quit talking out of your ass. You do NOT need a "stalk re-wire" to flash your car.

There is TWO part numbers for that stalk. One with and one without the on board computer. Another point - it would be too expensive for BMW to make individual stalks for halogen/xenon, they just code the module differently.

Again - to you.
    Old 03-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #70
    daedalus34r

Quote:

Quit talking out of your ass. You do NOT need a "stalk re-wire" to flash your car.

There is TWO part numbers for that stalk. One with and one without the on board computer. Another point - it would be too expensive for BMW to make individual stalks for halogen/xenon, they just code the module differently.

Again - to you.
    I believe bartacus is trying to say that he rewired the stalk so he can keep his high beams locked-on. If that's the case it makes a lot of sense to me. Reversing the stalk functions lets you lock it in when you push it towards the dash. I'm pretty sure everyone knows you just need an LCM reflash at minimum, the stalk mod is purely optional.

Am I right bartacus?
    Old 03-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #71
    Bartacus

Quote:

Again - to you.
    I never said that dumbass. I had the car flashed for bi-xenons AND had the signal stalk rewired to keep the high beams locked on. to you for being such a moron. I know exactly what was done to my car. I was THERE to see the stalk pulled apart.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daedalus34r View Post
    I believe bartacus is trying to say that he rewired the stalk so he can keep his high beams locked-on. If that's the case it makes a lot of sense to me. Reversing the stalk functions lets you lock it in when you push it towards the dash. I'm pretty sure everyone knows you just need an LCM reflash at minimum, the stalk mod is purely optional.

Am I right bartacus?
    You are right sir, unlike the above moron with no reading comprehension skills.
    Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #72
    snowcatxx87

Chill Mr. 320i

Learn how to properly convey your points.

"flashed for bi-xenons, which is why I needed the re-wire in the first place."

fails. hard.
    Old 03-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #73
    Bartacus

Quote:
    Chill Mr. 320i

Learn how to properly convey your points.

"flashed for bi-xenons, which is why I needed the re-wire in the first place."

fails. hard.
    You picked it man. I thought that was pretty clear. To anyone who understands how your lights are affected when you get your LCM flashed to bi-xenons from halogens, it's crystal clear. Anyways, fights over, let's kiss and make up, sweet lips.
    Old 03-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #74
    mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
    those cutoffs of the p46 isnt bad at all

2003 325xi 5MT
    Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
    sig by Solidjake
    mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #75
    throttlehead

My Ride: 330i Imola ZHP 6MT
    oem Halogen to OEM bi xenon ?> ZKW or AL which fits?

i thought i would try to keep this question within this thread but it may just become lost in the pages of yada so i may need to post a new thread question as i have not come across this understanding through reading yet.

If a facelift three series originally came with Halogens for some reason....can i retrofit OEM ZKW or AL bi-xenons plug and play style?

i understand that there ultimately need to be a reflash to gain functionality....but will it all connect up with either ZKW or AL or do i have to determine the appropriate connector and discover which manufacturer is the plug and play fit?

make sense ?
    throttlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #76
    daedalus34r

Quote:
    Originally Posted by throttlehead View Post
    i thought i would try to keep this question within this thread but it may just become lost in the pages of yada so i may need to post a new thread question as i have not come across this understanding through reading yet.

If a facelift three series originally came with Halogens for some reason....can i retrofit OEM ZKW or AL bi-xenons plug and play style?

i understand that there ultimately need to be a reflash to gain functionality....but will it all connect up with either ZKW or AL or do i have to determine the appropriate connector and discover which manufacturer is the plug and play fit?

make sense ?
    Everything should match up just fine. Make sure the OEM units are complete and have all the components like igniters and ballasts. On the outside the connector plug to the power source should look the same.

With halogens, the power connector goes straight into the bulb. With xenons, the ballast will go between the housing and the power connector.

If you can get OE, it's the best quality of course so go for it.
    Old 03-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #77
    throttlehead

My Ride: 330i Imola ZHP 6MT
    well i managed to pick up a pair of AL bi-xenons hope it works out !
    throttlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #78
    jackyboym3

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
    can someone who knows a great deal about orion v2 led's please pm me. As i have a couple of questions and dont want to make you guys regergitate info over and over. Im having trouble understanding how this works, i purchased the orion v2 leds last night for $200 to my door compliments of umnitza. I want to know if these interfere with my xenons or my driving lights. If someone could just help explain how it all works it would make me feel better about my purchase. If i have it correct the v2s will cancel out my halogens but not my xenons. Also they will run all the time replacing the halogen driving lights. If someone would please help i would maybe not have to pull my hair out wondering if i just messed up big time.

Jack
    jackyboym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #79
    snowcatxx87

Angel eyes, if installed with the ECU tap, will not effect any of your current headlights and setup.
    Old 06-22-2010, 06:22 AM   #80
    cashie

My Ride: BMW E46 320Ci
    How has everyone sealed the back of the low beam DEPO where the HID and Angle Eye wires come through? (ie. you can't get the rubber cover back on)

cashie is offline   Reply With Quote