E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
longress

My Ride: 2002 330XI
OE Sirius, Aux, and Changer? All 3 won't work together?

I have an 2004 Business CD HU and just bought:

Sirius receiver 65 12 0 398 140 and
CD Changer Extension cable 84 11 0 150 526 to daisy chain off the Sirius receiver
I also installed the BMW Aux input cable 82 11 0 149 389

I started by installing the Aux cable. Cycling thru the modes I had FM, CD, Changer, and Aux and all worked.
I then installed the Sirius Receiver with the extension cable. I now have FM, CD, Aux, and Sirius all worked but I lost the changer operation even with the extension cable daisy chained in.

Why might I be losing the Changer after the Sirius receiver install if I have the extension cable?

I seem to have one option with the Auxillary cable installed, either Changer or Sirius but BMW sells this extension cable supposedly so the the Changer will work with the Sirius...

Any Ideas?
longress is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
longress

I didn't have the changer extension connector at the Sat receiver fully seated. It has a gear lever type lock and I missed a tooth inside the connector before I latched it causing it to not fully seat. All is functional now just a ton of noise on the CD changer signal. I read on this forum in a thread that others had this problem and from what I remembered it was the generation of the receiver.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
I have all 3 working in both my e46s. No issues whatsoever.

2 potential issues I see for you:

- 2002 radios are not Sirius / Aux compatabile. You need a 2003+ unit to work fully. I'd suggest swapping out your radio. This will be very easy in a 2002 as the connections / antenna leads are all the same. 5 minute job. BTW, I'm assuming you have a 2002 radio from your info below your avitar.

- You may receive alternator whine with that 2nd generation Sirius unit in conjunction with the Dice unit. Dice claims its not an "issue" but so far I've yet to see anyone use a 2nd generation unit and a Dice and not have the feedback issues. There are only 2 ways to resolve it that I know of:

Scroll down to post #21:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=663209

The problem is a combination of the DICE unit and the 2nd / 3rd generation Sirius units having poor noise cancellation. You have two options to fix it:

#1. Get a 1st generation Sirius unit. This is what I did. Works great, and easiset solution to implement provided you can find a 1st generation unit.

#2. The other solution is also mentioned in this thread. BMWAudio32 came up with a toggle switch solution in post #16 that works also.

** For refernece all the Sirius unit part #'s:

84110141981 1st generation requires Y antenna adapter (84110392102) for units without OEM Navigation
84110153365 1st generation requires Y antenna adapter (84110392102) for units with OEM Navigation
65120398140 2nd generation
65120416377 3rd generation sold only with 1 year subscription

Last edited by sna77; 07-12-2009 at 06:35 AM.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longress View Post
I didn't have the changer extension connector at the Sat receiver fully seated. It has a gear lever type lock and I missed a tooth inside the connector before I latched it causing it to not fully seat. All is functional now just a ton of noise on the CD changer signal. I read on this forum in a thread that others had this problem and from what I remembered it was the generation of the receiver.
Are you experiencing alternator whine with the Dice unit?

Is your radio from a 2002?

BTW, watch the mini-fuses on the 2nd generation units. They like to blow.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
longress

I bought a receiver thanks to your note the other day about them being available on ebay. I also bought a 2004 business CD and I have everything in except the antenna which should be in tomorrow so I don't know about feedback from the alternator yet. I didn't go for the dice unit because my MP3 player is not an Ipod (Igot the AUX cable at the back of the HU). The only issue has been the noise on the changer input. I'm getting this with the engine off so sounds like the receiver changer compatibility like you called earlier. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
n_sievers

My Ride: 2003 M3 Convertible
I had the noise/lack of clear audio issue when I daisy-chained my Sirius and CD changer. I felt it was a gounding issue and started doing my own tests to find that the ground wire for the L and R channels of the audio in the cable was in the incorrect pin position. I moved the ground wire to the correct pin position in the changer end of the daisy-chain plug and it worked perfectly. I do not remember off the top of my head which pin needs be located but with a little investigation and testing, it is easy to identify. I hope this insight helps.... btw, not sure why a brand-new cable from the dealer should have 1 wire in the incorrect pin position but it did.
n_sievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
longress

Thanks for the tip n sievers, I'll have to check that out. I just got back up and running yesterday as I had to order another receiver. Ordering used electronics on Ebay makes me nervous and the first receiver was DOA. Wouldn't pull up the ESN on the head unit. I ordered the 140 receiver again and same changer noise with different receiver, so the cable could be it. I'll post if I find the same thing. I never thought to check the pin locations on a factory cable.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
longress

I found a white with a blue tracer swapped location with a white with a red chaser. I switched them but no change. It appears that the white with the brown chaser is the shared ground.
n sievers, are you saying that the you had to move the ground into what was an empty hole in the connector? Where did you find your schematic?
Thanks
Old 07-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
sna77
OEM ///Member

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/110947/

Apparently pin 2 and 3 need to be swapped.

The common ground is pin 3. So to hear music from your OEM CDC player move the tan and white wire from pin 2 to pin 3 on the 12 pin connector and you have music. This worked for me and my configuration is
somewhat standard for those who install the Sirius retrofit. Please pass this on to those who may have an interest
Old 07-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
longress

Great info. I will try this and get back on the results.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
longress

I just got done swapping this wire to the correct pin loction and Viola!!! All is good with the sound on the CD Changer now. Very odd that BMW would produce these cables with this issue, unless the cable was made for the 377 receiver and the ground is on pin 2. The ground is certainly on pin 3 with the 140. Very good information here!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
I just got done swapping this wire to the correct pin loction and Viola!!! All is good with the sound on the CD Changer now. Very odd that BMW would produce these cables with this issue, unless the cable was made for the 377 receiver and the ground is on pin 2. The ground is certainly on pin 3 with the 140. Very good information here!

Sweet! Just saw your reply to this thread (merging to have all info in one spot).

Going to try this in a few...

I need to swap a pin from slot 2 to 3 on this connector.

Anyone have any idea how to open it?

Quote:
On the side facing up in your photo, take a pocket screwdriver and push the plastic connector over the top of the tab that is visible near the white with tan wire (you can see this tab in your photo). You can then pull the wiring with internal plastic connector from the outer locking shell.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #13
sna77
OEM ///Member

cool, i got it out and swapped the pins... piece of cake... now down to the car to test...
Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #14
sna77
OEM ///Member

OK... I swapped the pin, and tested everything... noise is gone... WTF BMW?!
Old 07-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
n_sievers

My Ride: 2003 M3 Convertible
Good to hear that you got everything up and running. I think the whole thing is pretty strange on BMW's part to produce a part for this exact purpose and it has to be modified.....
n_sievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #16
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_sievers View Post
Good to hear that you got everything up and running. I think the whole thing is pretty strange on BMW's part to produce a part for this exact purpose and it has to be modified.....
sounds like someone in engineering read a wiring diagram wrong... and it "kinda" works with the pin in the wrong spot... my guess is the thing got 5 minutes of testing and that was it...
Old 07-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #17
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
cool, i got it out and swapped the pins... piece of cake... now down to the car to test...
How - can you share? Did you just pull it out, and are the pins numbered for easy reference?
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #18
longress

They are numbered on the pin out side where the connection is mated.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:41 AM   #19
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Quote:
They are numbered on the pin out side where the connection is mated.
Thanx - I swapped it out last night, Really, a piece of cake - it's amazing how the 'dice' music now plays without the famous static noise. Everyone with the trunk install should do this and DICE Electronics need to include this in the manual...

Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #20
BmwAudio32

My Ride: 2004 Imola 330i ZHP
This is amazing...thanks for the find guys. I'm kicking myself for having done everything the hard way...wiring up my own IBUS splitter, soldering all this stuff, install a switch...never though it would just be the ground wire on the daisy chain cable. I may end up ordering another cable and hooking it back up the right way.
BmwAudio32 is offline   Reply With Quote