E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 04:33 AM   #1
Ryan e46

My Ride: '01 325i Sedan
Intake kit & software chip for 2001 325i

hey all,

looking to get an intake kit and software chip for my 325i. maybe there is another post somewhere but i have been unable to find it, so i am posting my query here.

just wondering which intakes are good and at what cost as well as how many extra kw are produced. further more i am looking to install a software chip and a remus exhaust. what am i looking at for further power increases with each upgrade...?

hopefully this isnt to broad of a question.

thanks,

Ryan.
Ryan e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:43 AM   #2
leechieh

My Ride: 325i
There are no longer software "chips" but rather flashes, as far as intake and exhaust are concerned be prepared to drop 600-1000 for 6 hp. There are tons of threads that would answer your post completly, next time before starting a useless thread click the SEARCH button, that's what it's there for!!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App
leechieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
Twenza

My Ride: mile high club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leechieh View Post
There are no longer software "chips" but rather flashes, as far as intake and exhaust are concerned be prepared to drop 600-1000 for 6 hp. There are tons of threads that would answer your post completly, next time before starting a useless thread click the SEARCH button, that's what it's there for!!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App
answers like this are the best your going to get on this forum, nobody wants to help, they just want the search to be used.
1995 Toyota Celica (SOLD)
1994 Toyota Soarer 1jZ TT (Current Toy)
2008 Hyosung GT250RR (SWAPPED)
1998 BMW 323i E46 SOLD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!
Twenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
Ryan e46

ahha fair enough, just trying to get some direct answers to my specific question and some kind feedback, but thats ok ill spend another hour trying to find 5 different threads that tell me what i need.

thanks though.

peace.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
M3_Aaron

My Ride: E46 M3
GruppeM make a really nice carbon intake for the 325. Its not cheap but its a high quality piece that sounds great.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
Mitch E46

My Ride: M3 Convertible
+1 I bet alot of people are hesitant to ask questions because of the typical "Use the search button" flame. This is a forum not a search engine.

To OP, not sure about performance mods im afraid but im sure there are plenty here cruising the AUS section that can help you out.

Mitch E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:35 AM   #7
Ryan e46

yeh i understand thank guys, ill be much more hesitant now ahaha.

local knowledge is the best and its annoying to find that most answers come from US so relevancy is low.

been looking at GruppeM and some BMW performance ones. thanks Aaron.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:46 AM   #8
shannon1

My Ride: 2001, 318i
Yeah it gets a bit tiresome when the yanks keep popping into our aussie site and then are next to useless in their contribution to a question.

Don't get me wrong, quite a few are really helpful. It's just spoiled by those that quick flame others before they really even realise that we don't have the same car set up as them, and when all we really want is just some help from locals who may have had similar experiences. The search function can be a great generalised help tool sometimes, but at others, it's a real PITA to try and search through 200 posts, each with about 50 pages that only applies to LHD cars.

shannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:47 AM   #9
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
PeakRPM Sydney have their own CAI (just change the Krap & Nasty filter for something decent), and Hi-Op RaceTec sw to liven it up.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:47 AM   #10
NBMW

My Ride: A BMW
GruppeM sits right on top as far as intake goes. Like what Aaron said, not cheap. BMW performance intakes have dropped in price alot, and IMO would be a good intake to purchase, a pleasant change to OEM.

As for exhaust, depends on what you like, in terms of sound. Choose a good axle back muffler, and custom piping IMO. Power wise, it would be very small, but if your going FI then you could see some good gains. I love the sound of I6 engines, and one of the reasons why I got the an exhaust and intake. How loud you want to go depends on you.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #11
N4NOOK

My Ride: 323ci
BMC CDA would be my pick for $$$/noise ratio.

but as everyone has said don't expect to suddenly be leaving black lines out of every turn.
N4NOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
Ryan e46

cheers guys for all the tips, ill be sure to check them out, so keen to get some extra grunt from some upgrades. although having said that i am very impressed by stock BMWs

thanks all!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #13
Mitch E46

My Ride: M3 Convertible
Hey mate, check this out:

http://www.beastpower.com/p/bmw/grup...6-20232528-CAI

Price seems reasonable however I havent bought from beastpower before so I can't vouch. They have a gruppeM intake for the 318i aswell

Mitch E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
aar0n_91

My Ride: 05 BMW325CI///MSport
can vouch for peak rpm. okay prices, but great craftmanship

BMW 325 CI ///M-SPORT INDIVIDUAL
aar0n_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #15
dan_1337

My Ride: 330CiC
From what I've seen, off the shelf chips don't work well at best and you'll be best off completing your mods then paying a little more for a dyno tune.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #16
ASSAIL

My Ride: E46 328, Jza80 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Aaron View Post
GruppeM make a really nice carbon intake for the 325. Its not cheap but its a high quality piece that sounds great.
meh, ive got one on mine and apart from a little sucking i can here now and then its the same as stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch E46 View Post
+1 I bet alot of people are hesitant to ask questions because of the typical "Use the search button" flame. This is a forum not a search engine.
regardless of, youll find that ppl get sick of answering the same questions time and time again when the answers can be found in a few mins by searching.... plus less threads on the same sh1t make the forums easier to use as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan e46 View Post
although having said that i am very impressed by stock BMWs!
your easily impressed

short of going forced induction, any mods will be a waste when comparing $$/hp gained.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #17
eric_waltrip

My Ride: 2000 blk 323ci 5spd
Get a K&N filter and Shark software flash gets you 7hp and 7tq and moves your Rev limit to 7K. Then you will want Headers and gears... thats about it besides boost for the most part
I road in my buddies with 350hp and he switched highways at wot scared tge piss out of me felt as fast other bodies 500hp supra awesome car they are rare hopefully they will bring them back rx8s r ok but I don't like tge rear doors and odd shape and lackbof turbos
eric_waltrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:51 AM   #18
Ryan e46

cheers to everyone for their comments. i definitely have a good idea of what to do, thanks.

also have a good inclination to never post again! haha

thanks all!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:00 AM   #19
Jason@Euro-Division
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_waltrip View Post
Get a K&N filter and Shark software flash gets you 7hp and 7tq and moves your Rev limit to 7K. Then you will want Headers and gears... thats about it besides boost for the most part
Shark isn't compatible with our cars.

Your Australian Source For BMW

EXTERIOR / INTERIOR / LIGHTING / WHEELS / BRAKES / CF PARTS
Jason@Euro-Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:11 AM   #20
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
And pretty sure nobody here would be stupid enough to put a Krap & Nasty on their BMW.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote