E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Dinan91

My Ride: e46
Unhappy e46 2000 328ci front end damage! HELP!

Hey all I recently had some front end damage to my car and its not pretty. The front brackets that hold the radiator, headlights, and hood catches are bent. Luckily from what I can tell my radiator survived. My bmper pretty much came out undamaged due to the fact that my car is lowered. I was able to remove my headlights but before I did I tested them and amazingly they still light up and stay on. I'll try and salvage them if I can. But just in case any recommendations on replacements and where I can buy them from? Brands, price?

So on to the problem. I need to pretty much take apart the entire front end of the car bumper included. I've never done this before and could really use thorough details, walkthroughs and tips. This is my first BMW so please bear with me. Please look through my pictures and take your time in looking at the damage and feel free to comment with your insight.

Hope to hear f you guys soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	492252   Click image for larger version

Name:	111.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	492253   Click image for larger version

Name:	112.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	492254   Click image for larger version

Name:	113.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	492255  

Click image for larger version

Name:	114.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	492256  
Dinan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
e46crooser

My Ride: 99 328 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan91 View Post
Hey all I recently had some front end damage to my car and its not pretty. The front brackets that hold the radiator, headlights, and hood catches are bent. Luckily from what I can tell my radiator survived. My bmper pretty much came out undamaged due to the fact that my car is lowered. I was able to remove my headlights but before I did I tested them and amazingly they still light up and stay on. I'll try and salvage them if I can. But just in case any recommendations on replacements and where I can buy them from? Brands, price?

So on to the problem. I need to pretty much take apart the entire front end of the car bumper included. I've never done this before and could really use thorough details, walkthroughs and tips. This is my first BMW so please bear with me. Please look through my pictures and take your time in looking at the damage and feel free to comment with your insight.

Hope to hear f you guys soon!

First step is to have a body shop inspect the vehicle and make sure there isn't any frame damage
-if there's frame damage you need to know in advance so you have an idea what you'll be up against

Second step is look at realoem.com
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...97&hg=41&fg=10
Then move into section 51 and look at front bumper

Definitely needs front rad support, mounting hardware, front fenders, hood, cooling system parts, headlights and the list keeps growing

HTH Phil
e46crooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Dinan91

My Ride: e46
Thanks for the response. Frame damage is highly unlikely because the hit was directly to the hood. Coolant leaked everywhere so Im guessing either the coolant overflow tank or hoses are shot. Took a pretty good look at my radiator and it seems to be just fine. The front rad support is pretty bent but Im almost positive that it can be reused. Hood is a for sure swap. Fenders are straight and came out unscathed. Thankfully my car sits about 4in from the ground so when it hit, the hood, front rad and headlight supports and plastics directly behind the kidney grills took the brunt of the hit. Alos noticed the fan that sits directly behind the radiator has some damage but seems intact. Almost looks like the plastic surrounding cracked but the actual fan is intact. I'll try and somehow fashion together some sort of bracket or support to reuse my HID Bixenon headlights. The actual lights seemed to operate just fine. They have some cracks and all tabs are broken. Front lenses are shot and will for sure need to be replaced but I figured its worth a shot and a hellova lot cheaper then buying new ones. Car turns on and I actually drove it from around the block to my backyard without any issues (aside from the fan getting caught up every now and then). I'll keep this thread posted and may even do a write up for DIY if I can somehow manage to salvage the headlights. Thanks again and please keep this thread going!
Dinan91 is offline   Reply With Quote