E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
gphillips

My Ride: E46 330i Sport
Convertible roof - Front clips banging down

My convertible roof has just started making a bit of a noise as I close it, although it appears trivial I justed wanted to ask other "vert" owners if this is usual.

The action all the way open and close is smooth, and there are no worrying sounds at all. All the way open and close the roof looks to move "square" and isnt tilting or leaning one way or the other as far as I can see, but I think the front left (passenger side in the UK) metal catch isn't quite as perfectly aligned as it was and you can hear the Pin hit the edge of its target hole as the final movement of the front of the roof occurs. The pins then all pull tight and the roof closes perfectly.

This has just started making this "clunk" noise, so as I say the alignment probably insnt as good as it was.

Is this a cause for concern? DO other people find that these metal pins hit the edjes of the hole before finding centre?

Thanks
gphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
i_ween

My Ride: '02 330Ci Vert
I haven't heard that on my '02 vert. But, you might lube the hook and latch. Silicone grease of some sort might help...

check out my astrophotography:
www.gil-galad.com
i_ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
gphillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_ween View Post
I haven't heard that on my '02 vert. But, you might lube the hook and latch. Silicone grease of some sort might help...
Thanks, I tried that but it doesnt make a difference. There isnt an issue with lubrication, just that metal on metal makes a noise before the pin and hook slip into place. I wonder if the roof is slightly too far forward or back at that side? Probably safer to leave it alone, I guess it might "go away" as quickly as it started !

Im just a bit of a perfectionist and I dont like this noise much !
Old 07-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
i_ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphillips View Post
Thanks, I tried that but it doesnt make a difference. There isnt an issue with lubrication, just that metal on metal makes a noise before the pin and hook slip into place. I wonder if the roof is slightly too far forward or back at that side? Probably safer to leave it alone, I guess it might "go away" as quickly as it started !

Im just a bit of a perfectionist and I dont like this noise much !
Not sure what to tell you. You could always take the latches apart and put them back together. Maybe they got a little out of whack? Sometimes just taking thengs apart and putting them back together re-aligns things.

www.gil-galad.com
Old 07-14-2009, 02:56 AM   #5
gphillips

Its possible that my hood is just dropping a bit too quickly before the clips are pulled into position and that is why it is clattering off the lock mechanism.

It is either a slight alignment issue, or it isnt supposed to drop quite that low at the front until the very final movement which is for the locks to pull tight.

Can anybody else advise?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
i_ween

We need a convertible section of the forum...

www.gil-galad.com
Old 07-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
BavLar

My Ride: 330Cic 5spd & 330i
Judging from how gravity slams the roof down after passing the 12:00 position, while closing the hatch and lowering the rear of the roof, I would not be surprised to experience alignment issues.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
gphillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrog330 View Post
Judging from how gravity slams the roof down after passing the 12:00 position, while closing the hatch and lowering the rear of the roof, I would not be surprised to experience alignment issues.
your right, and you have a point - I probalby just need some alignment or tension adjustment. the roof is slightly too far to the right side (drivers side in UK) so that the passenger side locking hook hits the little metal roller inside the mechanism on the top of the window.

I have searched for hours and I cant find a service manual or guide to adjustments, but I know there are many adjustments that can be made, and this is surely one of them.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrog330 View Post
I think I've posted about this long ago, but I hate how gravity drops the roof down after the 12:00 position so it's always been a habit of mine to use my hand and guide the top down slowly so it doesn't drop and bounce at that point in the sequence.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_ween View Post
we need a convertible section of the forum...
+1!!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
gphillips

Ok so my roof finally stopped working today and wouldn't close. NOT good! I drove to a friends house for some help and we noticed the problem, and the cause of my initial "alignment" problems.....

On the left side (passenger side) the retaining bolt which holds the entire roof frame to the anchor had worked its way out, and was causing the roof to pull to one side, eventually it came out enough that it jammed the mechanism.

I have manged to get it most of the way "home" again so the roof will operate again, but it will not go fully in - probably becuase the threads have been damaged.

Would anybody know if this part is available? It appears to be literally the main bolt that holds each side of the roof, and is the point at which it pivots and moves. Its black, with a torx head.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
Zyaltr

My Ride: 01-325cic,08-750Li
Try this link

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...73&hg=54&fg=10
Zyaltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
i_ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphillips View Post
Ok so my roof finally stopped working today and wouldn't close. NOT good! I drove to a friends house for some help and we noticed the problem, and the cause of my initial "alignment" problems.....

On the left side (passenger side) the retaining bolt which holds the entire roof frame to the anchor had worked its way out, and was causing the roof to pull to one side, eventually it came out enough that it jammed the mechanism.

I have manged to get it most of the way "home" again so the roof will operate again, but it will not go fully in - probably becuase the threads have been damaged.

Would anybody know if this part is available? It appears to be literally the main bolt that holds each side of the roof, and is the point at which it pivots and moves. Its black, with a torx head.
At this point, just call the closest dealer. That bolt shouldn't be more than a few quid...

www.gil-galad.com
Old 07-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
I think I've posted about this long ago, but I hate how gravity drops the roof down after the 12:00 position so it's always been a habit of mine to use my hand and guide the top down slowly so it doesn't drop and bounce at that point in the sequence.
i do the same thing.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #15
gphillips

Thanks, I guess the bolt I need goes around the number 20 somewhere, as it interects all of the various pieces of moving parts I think, and holds them all to the anchor on the car. Oddly this doesnt seems to be shown as a part.

I cant see it on the diagram (above) and my dealer says it isnt showing as a part. BUMMER ! what am I going to do now!

Last edited by gphillips; 07-15-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #16
gphillips

I should of updated this long ago - sorry!

I never did find this bolt. I went to a scrap yard for one, but all I could find was a facelift model - and on the facelift the bolt doesnt appear to be a bolt at all, instead its a pin of the same diameter whos head sits flush and doesnt look like it would come out easily, and wouldnt transfer to a pre-facelift.

I never did find the bolt, a local back street garage "made" one that does the trick, and padded it out with some tube washers to be the correct diameter. Ive always been worried that it would fail, but so far it has held out.

Never did find the bolt, and BMW say it cannot be ordered.

If anybody else had a similar experience Id be interested.