E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Suspension and Braking

Suspension and Braking
Springs, shocks, struts, coilovers, camber plates, sway bars, strut bars, suspension bushings, control arms, brake pads, big brake kits, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #21
Luky

My Ride: '08 335i RIP'03 330i
Everybody has been real good about the tool and the transactions have been going pretty smoothly. Glad to be able to help out a few guys... If you have 60k+ miles you probably need to change your RTABs (you will notice a difference) and using this tool really does make it a simple job!

RTAB tool is back. Shoot me an email if you need it! First paypal deposit will get it shipped to them right away.

BR,

Luky
Luky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #22
Luky

Bump. RTAB tool is available.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #23
Luky

RTAB Tool is back again...
Old 03-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #24
Luky

Old 03-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #25
Albobmw

My Ride: 01 bmw 325i
Will rent this in the near future.
Albobmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #26
borygoya

My Ride: 325i
is the tool available to rent?
borygoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #27
Luky

Yes, the tool is available for rent. But I just had an email from "Frankie" asking about it too... If that is you, no worries, if not, first deposit gets it first...
Old 06-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #28
bohemianjsr

My Ride: 2001 325I Sport
interested. Email sent.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #29
Luky

Replied to your email...
Old 06-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #30
vegtam

My Ride: a car
Thumbs Up Thanks!

I just wanted to chime in that Eric is a very understanding and great guy to work with.

I had more trouble and a ton of bad luck with the RTAB process. Even greasing the rod and being extremely careful to turn the rod slowly, backing it out if there was moderate resistance, the rod ended up fracturing. Luckily I was able to finish it and Eric was kind enough to take care of the rod. He's definitely a great asset to this forum and BMW community!
vegtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:24 AM   #31
Luky

Thanks Colin. No Worries. I understand that sh!t happens. Glad you were able to get the job finished another way.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:45 AM   #32
Luky

Rental Info Update

As an update to my rental policy, I am going to decrease the deposit to $100 since MIS reduced the cost of a new tool to $90 + shipping and I am no longer including the "extras".

When you return the tool in good condition I will refund $76 to you. I am no longer shipping the small C clamps as no one else seems to be using them and I am also going to stop including the anti-seize as I have depleted the bottle that I had purchased.

So my rental cost went from $26.50 down to $24. Don't forget that you will also have to pay to ship it back to me, which runs about $7.15 with $99.99 insurance (and free tracking) using the USPS flat rate box and buying/printing the label out on-line yourself. I find this a lot easier since when you buy/print out the label yourself on-line, you can drop the package into any mail box and don't have to make a special trip to the post office. (I hate going to the post office and waiting in line behind stupid people).

Also when returning it, please make sure that you do not require a signature. The mailman will lock it up in my mailbox so I will get it. If I have to go to the post office to pick it up I will charge another $10 for my time and your deposit refund will probably be delayed for about a week since I have to wait until Saturday to get to the post office to pick it up.

Later.

Luky

Last edited by Luky; 07-03-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:55 AM   #33
Luky

Some RTAB tools hints I typed up...

RTAB Tool Hints

The RTAB tool has a upside-down "U" shaped bracket, a threaded shaft with dual nuts locked together with a couple of washers under them as a "bearing", and two different sized "press blocks". One has square ends and one has the ends rounded off. (I think the E46 only uses the one with the ends rounded off).

A couple of threads at the top of the threaded shaft (about 1" from the dual nuts) may be damaged. That is where it rubs in the upside-down "U" shape bracket (but the blocks should still spin up and down the rest of the shaft pretty easily - i.e. with your hand turning them).

Make sure you keep the threaded shaft lubed with grease when you are using it and go slow until the RTAB starts moving out of the trailing arm.

Also grease both sides of the washers under the bolts to help them slide easier. Spray penetrating oil/WD-40 between the RTAB carrier and the trailing arm about 15-20 min before you start as this should help get it started.

The RTAB metal bushing carrier is like a C. Make sure one side of the pressing block covers the ends of the metal carrier "C" where they touch when you are pressing it out. Also the press block has a counter bore relief on one side that is supposed to go against the bushing. This is to make sure the pressing force is pressing on the outside of the metal carrier and not the metal cylinder in the center of the RTAB. One guy had the metal bushing twist in the arm (block was not lined up on the ends of the "C") and it bent the threaded shaft and he had to cut it to get it off. Big PITA for him + $$ for the new shaft and press block.

If you are turning the shaft and it is not moving the block/bushing out of the arm, check and make sure it is pressing on the RTAB and not the trailing arm.

If your RTAB is really stuck/corroded, use a wire brush to clean up the outside of the RTAB and trailing arm as much as possible, then apply the penetrating oil. If the RTAB starts pressing out and then gets "stuck", you should spray some more oil on both the front and the back of the RTAB and then flip the RTAB tool and press it back into the trailing arm. Go slow. Then remove the tool, spray some more oil on the bushing, then flip the tool and try pressing it out again. Again, go slow. By working the bushing back and forth in the trailing arm and applying oil, the lubricant will work its way inside to help remove the bushing.

I also found it easier to do if you remove the lower shock mount bolt and pop the lower shock off. This should allow you to push the trailing arm down further for better access. I may have also removed one of rear sway bar mount bolt too (don't remember). I was able to bend the rear trailing arm down and stick a piece of 2x4 to wedge it down so I had good access to press out the RTABs.

After the RTAB is out of the trailing arm, use some fine sand paper or green scrubby to clean up the surface on the inside of the trailing arm. Apply a thin coat of the anti-seize all over the inside of the trailing arm as this will help the new bushing press in, or help keep it from squeaking if you are installing Polyurethane bushings (like Powerflex).

Please email me if you have any questions. Better to ask then break something...

Last edited by Luky; 06-21-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #34
king kong

My Ride: mid-engine
pm'd
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #35
bohemianjsr

My Ride: 2001 325I Sport
Just want to say that renting the tool from Eric was a smooth transaction. Follow his instructions and save yourself some $$$.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #36
Luky

Quote:
Originally Posted by king kong View Post
pm'd
Replied. The tool is back and ready to go...
Old 09-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #37
Luky

RTAb tool is back and ready for rent. Send me an email if you would like to use it.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #38
Luky

Tool is rented. Back in a couple of weeks...
Old 10-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #39
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
Interested in renting tool when it's back, unless SilverRonin has dibs on it first. I have some M3 RTABs and the plastic limiters coming from Vorshlag. Was going to pay my mechanic to do it since he charges reasonable rates, or was also checking out a bushing remover/installer kit at Harbor Freight today plus thinking of building my own installer from threaded rod and 2" pipe caps (per some other RTAB DIY thread). But renting the MIS tool sounds like more fun than paying my mechanic (as cool as he is) and easier than building a 2nd-rate tool myself.

I live in South Orange county and am happy to either do transaction by USPS. Or if you'll be at the CCA AutoX on October 17th and the tool is back before then, I could pick it up from you in person at the Qualcomm Stadium parking lot.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #40
AMCINK

My Ride: 2000 323CI
I need this ASAP - let me know when is available
AMCINK is offline   Reply With Quote