E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
emmm_three

My Ride: E90 328i / e46 330ci
Battery damage if drained fully?

I rarely drive my car so I've been caught a few times where the battery was totally drained and I needed a jump start.
I finally got a slow battery charger for when I know my car will not be driven for a few weeks to months and now use that.
The question is, could there be any damage to my battery because it's been let to drain fully a few times?
Reason I ask is cause yesterday I was working on some foglight stuff where I needed to leave the lights on for a min or two a few times. When I was done I go to get in my car and car wouldn't start...I pop on the charger for a few hours and bingo car starts (the charger said the battery wasn't 100% charged).

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
Anub!s

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Anub!s Send a message via MSN to Anub!s Send a message via Yahoo to Anub!s
not sure, just have the battery tested at a local autozone or some place.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
if it was totally drained, you would not be able to jump start the car. but yes, if that happens a lot, then it's bad for the battery.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
emmm_three

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
if it was totally drained, you would not be able to jump start the car. but yes, if that happens a lot, then it's bad for the battery.
Good point, I mean drained low enough where I couldn't start the car but needed a jump...I recall the lights, radio and other stuff still operational....
Does this mean my I should change my battery, because now it seems good, I will test it out by leaving the lights on for like 2-3 mins, then see if I can start the car. If the battery fails again then means it's not fully charging 100% even with the slow charger?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:47 AM   #5
BodyMan

My Ride: 2002 325i
When a battery if TOTALLY drained for a long period, it might not take a full charge.I would trickle charge it over night. If it won't hold a charge, get it tested.
BodyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:09 AM   #6
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
^ exactly what he said

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:21 AM   #7
ZHPEE

My Ride: 330zhp,M5,CayenneGTS
depends on how old the battery is........ a car battery typically lasts on average between 3-4 years. Sometimes 5. That's on average. Some can last longer, some shorter. When you run a lead acid battery right down....you increase the changes of ruining the cells/plates inside the battery. A couple of times of doing a complete run down......the battery will lose atleast one plate, sometimes more than one. The older the battery the increased change you'll kill a battery by running it right down. Kill as in, it won't charge back up to full, or charge at all. If you trickle charge a battery you think isn't fully functioning, it's the best way to determine on your own if the battery is usefull anymore. You can take a battery to any automotive shop and they can test your battery for you and tell you whether it's holding a charge properly or if it's dying.

By the way......the BMW battery you get at the dealer is a rip off. Here the dealer wants $315 for a battery installed. $20 less if you install it yourself. If you buy a battery elsewhere, like a DIEHARD or EXCELL or other name brand battery....... they will be 50-60% cheaper in cost. AND EXACTLY THE SAME in charge and capacity, if not better. There is NO difference in a brand name battery or an OEM battery, as long as you get the right size/fitment and specs for your car. I'm sure your probably aware of it......thought I'd just mention it.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
mkodama

Yes, running down the battery and leaving it discharged for a while causes harm. Sometimes the battery will just deeply discharge to the point where it will take a really long time to charge back up again. If you do this too often though, then yeah, you will mess up the insides of the battery. Automotive lead acid batteries are usually intended to not be fully drained but used to run the radio when the car is off and start the car, then to be constantly charging while the car is running.

I personally destroyed a battery or two just from doing things like opening the doors and letting the interior lights drain the battery while the car was sitting for a few weeks without being started. Now i make it a point to keep a quality charger on the battery and haven't had a problem. I used one made by CTEK.

Last edited by mkodama; 07-27-2009 at 05:14 AM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:30 AM   #9
emmm_three

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Yes, running down the battery and leaving it discharged for a while causes harm. Sometimes the battery will just deeply discharge to the point where it will take a really long time to charge back up again. If you do this too often though, then yeah, you will mess up the insides of the battery. Automotive lead acid batteries are usually intended to not be fully drained but used to run the radio when the car is off and start the car, then to be constantly charging while the car is running.

I personally destroyed a battery or two just from doing things like opening the doors and letting the interior lights drain the battery while the car was sitting for a few weeks without being started. Now i make it a point to keep a quality charger on the battery and haven't had a problem. I used one made by CTEK.
I'm using a diehard 2amp 12volt/4amp 6volt charger...the battery charges over night using the slow 2amp setting
Old 01-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
juniorbomber

My Ride: 2006 325Ci
I've had my car sitting in the garage for about 7 weeks, and I went out this afternoon to start it up and found the battery is dead as a doornail. I just put a 2 amp trickle charger on it, but the charger needle isn't moving, so I don't know if the battery is accepting any current whatsoever. If I leave the trickle charger on, do you think the battery might start to come around?
juniorbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
chasz17

My Ride: 2005 645Cic
Running a battery down completely WILL damage a lead acid battery. You've shortend its life.
chasz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
juniorbomber

Charger has been on the battery for about 4 hours now, and it's still not taking any current. I assume its Toast. Going battery shopping tommorow!
Old 01-31-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
OP, to answer your question... yes.
When you really drain a lead acid battery it's very important to charge it immediately with a
higher amp output charger. I would use at least a 10 amp, & up to a 15 amp charger,
preferably a charger that ultrasonically conditions a weaker or failing battery. A small trickle
charger is not what you want to use, to try to recharge a 80, 90 or 100 plus amp battery.
When your dealing with a battery thats in "good condition" then you can use a 1 or 2 amp
trickle charger, to maintain it.

I pulled this from another post that i submitted it in, it might be helpful here.

"Battery Tenders (it's a small 12v trickle charger) are great, don't get
me wrong, i own 2 different kinds. But for this problem i wouldn't use
one. The most common Battery Tender is the 1.25 amp unit, most people
don't know this but there out put is only 1.0 amps. A 1 amp charging
device has trouble pushing the acid back out of the lead plates of your dead
battery. Very few people in the country know this but the Tender has
a 72 hour timer, and the last 8 hours of the 72 are at less than 1 amp,
about .5 amps. So your maximum amperage that you can put back into
your battery is 68 amps, but that's under ideal conditions. Not knowing
what battery is in your Bimmer, I'd guess it's larger than 68, probably 90
plus amps. I would use a regular size charger and charge at about 10 or
12 amps. I also own this charger, you can pick it up at your local Walmart,
it will do a great job. I promise."

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr
Good luck,

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 01-31-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 PM   #14
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Get yourself one of these http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...dtop/index.php you can Drain it as low as you want and it will always hold a charge but they can be up to 300 bucks at some stores. The last one i had lasted me 15 years!

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here

Last edited by E46330iguy; 02-01-2010 at 12:06 AM.
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #15
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
Get yourself one of these http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...p/index.phpYou can Drain it as low as you want and it will always hold a charge but they can be up to 300 bucks at some stores. The last one i had lasted me 15 years!
1. No, running even that battery to dead could kill it, or at the least cause permanent damage. Leaving just about any rechargeable battery in a dead or near dead state, will cause damage the longer you leave it like that. Rechargeable batteries also have a limited amount "power cycles" before their performance starts noticeably degrading. If you have a car with a properly performing alternator, and a quality battery of enough capacity, the battery should last 10+ years.

2. You should put a space between your link and the "You" of your next sentence, as it breaks the link.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:06 AM   #16
E46330iguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
1. No, running even that battery to dead could kill it, or at the least cause permanent damage. Leaving just about any rechargeable battery in a dead or near dead state, will cause damage the longer you leave it like that. Rechargeable batteries also have a limited amount "power cycles" before their performance starts noticeably degrading. If you have a car with a properly performing alternator, and a quality battery of enough capacity, the battery should last 10+ years.

2. You should put a space between your link and the "You" of your next sentence, as it breaks the link.
Yes like MK said if a battery is drained 100% it can damage it. i had an optima in a old car once and i left the lights on. after a day or so the optima brought itself back enough it could start the car. They are THE best batteries and pretty idiot proof. And thanks MKi didnt notice i did that to my link

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #17
juniorbomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorbomber View Post
Charger has been on the battery for about 4 hours now, and it's still not taking any current. I assume its Toast. Going battery shopping tommorow!
I just put in a NAPA Model 48 battery, and it fit like a glove. It was the same height and width, but was about 1.5" shorter lengthwise. Tightening down the battery brace fixed it right in place.

It also came with the 90 degree elbow to hook up the vent tube properly.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #18
E46330iguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorbomber View Post
I just put in a NAPA Model 48 battery, and it fit like a glove. It was the same height and width, but was about 1.5" shorter lengthwise. Tightening down the battery brace fixed it right in place.

It also came with the 90 degree elbow to hook up the vent tube properly.
Why Buy a cheap ass battery? Buy a good one and you will get more life out of it.