E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
BrownMagic

My Ride: Stays topless
E46 Battery

Hey guys, been doing lots of research getting a battery in my M before it's out of storage and it looks like information is all over the place so I'm making a short post here in case anyone is looking for updated information. This is also relevant as most battery codes changed/updated so old searches for things like 47-DL's and 94R's will be irrelevant.

First of all - yes the convertible does take a different battery than the coupe and sedan. I believe it's about an inch shorter as it was placed in an area with a "vibration-resistant" setup. Originally Coupe and Sedan owners could opt for a 47-DL (duralast battery from autozone) while Convertible owners had to go for the 94R which was a bit more expensive but slightly smaller. More info can be found here in the convertible thread although the battery sizes will be obsolete as I believe they are all H7's now.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...battery&page=2

For the Mini Cooper/CSL battery or Braille Battery - looks like we can opt for this lighter and smaller battery but will lose some CCA's. I would be careful if running aftermarket stereos but many seem to like it. The Mini/CSL battery will be cheaper and smaller and was talked about more in the M3post thread found here:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321965

Keep in mind, the Braille battery will be lighter and more expensive and I believe the size/UPC listed there is still correct but the battery from the 2005 Mini Cooper S will now be called an H5 instead of the group 47 or the widely popular AC Delco 47-6Yr or Everstart Maxx 47n.

For those with questions about OEM vs aftermarket after much debate as some of you know there are three main companies that manufacture batteries: Exide, Johnson Controls and Delphi. OEM BMW is an Exide but tons of guys are running Johnson Controls which is also the Wal-Mart Everstart Maxx series. It will be labeled on the battery who the maker is which in my opinion is more relevant than Die Hard vs AC Delco etc.

Please feel free to contribute and I can update this as necessary! Can we make this a sticky?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:34 AM   #2
-lynel-

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
have you considered a LFepo4 battery> I use one for my weekend/track car. weight is 700g and starts a 1.4L 12:1CR 4banger. im told the 1.1kg will start up to 6L of engine displacement.

the bigger one is best if you still use big audio gear, but mmy track car is a tin can with a seat so I went the small one.
-lynel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:05 AM   #3
d33p

My Ride: zcp
My coupe takes 94r or what is now called H7

Advanced Auto has the Autocraft Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size H7, 800 CCA which works in my coupe and has a hole for the vent tube.
d33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
BrownMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lynel- View Post
have you considered a LFepo4 battery> I use one for my weekend/track car. weight is 700g and starts a 1.4L 12:1CR 4banger. im told the 1.1kg will start up to 6L of engine displacement.

the bigger one is best if you still use big audio gear, but mmy track car is a tin can with a seat so I went the small one.
Honestly haven't really looked into any track focused pieces as my vehicles are all DD's, toss up a pic of your track car and battery though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33p View Post
My coupe takes 94r or what is now called H7

Advanced Auto has the Autocraft Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size H7, 800 CCA which works in my coupe and has a hole for the vent tube.
Yes as mentioned above the H7 will fit all sedan/coupes/convertibles as it's the replacement for the 94r. If you want to go smaller/lighter and take advantage of the 20lbs weight savings install the H5 - both have vent tubes in the right places for our vehicles.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:21 AM   #5
-lynel-

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
I still haven't reclaimed my photobucket account but its a suzi swift which is a geo metro to you guys. Its currently umder going a new engine swap. Originally a highly strung g13b. Now 6g72. Displacement baby lol. Ill be honest my g13b was starting using a modified Dewalt hammerdrill 36v li fe po4 battery. Got the idea from another forum member on redlinegti. It wasnt enough to turn over the 6g but have purchased a locally made li fe po4 battery that id basically a bunch of 2.2v cells in a rack with heatshrink over it. If Iccan get the mobile app to work ill post it up. It weights 1.1kg with 4g cables as terminals. These are kind if a budget option for lightweight which is the reason I went one in my track car. My faily e46 runs a d34 optima deep cycle gelcell. 900cca 110amphour. It required a little fiddlw to fit as its a little short for the stock mount position
-lynel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
BrownMagic

By the way just to update - installed the Mini Cooper batter (H5) after the vehicle came out of storage. Used a tiny bit of wood to keep it in place but it works great, no issues or complaints - 3 years replacement warranty (5 year prorate) and a bunch in weight savings.