E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
geoffriehl

My Ride: 2001 330ci ZSP
info on the DISA valve, READ!!!!

ok guys, I finally have something to contribute! After chasing misfire and lean codes, and installing an air pump I did not need, I finally located and fixed my issue. If you get lean codes, misfires, at cold start up a little of a choppy idle but THAT bad, maybe a slight lack of acceleration, but not that bad...plugs and coils are good...check the DISA valve gasket! (sorry, dont have pics)

easy to remove, anyone reading this can figure it out...once it is out, and you can see flat spots...scrape the old orange gasket out....clean it real well, go to Advance, and buy a $2.00 Fel Pro gasket PN 35489 for a 1991 to 1994 Ford Probe...it fits like a glove! Seat the gasket in there, coat it in oil, set the valve and alternate tightening the bolts up, it fits PERFECT and AIR TIGHT!

Fixed me right up! and thanks to the guys on here for the suggestion to check that

Any questions, hit me up

Geoff
geoffriehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
325xittt

My Ride: 2003, 325 XIT
Nice find on the gasket. love to save some coin
Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
E RaK

My Ride: 2001 325xit
Is there any way you can post a mini-diy?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Silver325

My Ride: 2002 325i
I have been chasing a very similar issue for a couple years now. Cold startup, misfire on cylinder #1, not the coil (swapped them around). I can avoid the issue if I hold the rpm's to 1100 for a minute or two. If I don't do this, the SES comes on and the engine goes to limp mode. I tried building up the DISA gasket with electrical tape. My valve seems to be working fine, spring seems intact, valve snaps back OK. I saw another thread where this issue was fixed for some by replacing the fuel filter, but this did not help on my car. I also read where someone poured SeaFoam into the tube from the air pump. Tried this too with no affect. I am going to try this gasket out, boy I hope it works! Seems like there are several causes for this issue. Thanks for providing something new and cheap to try. I don't understand why BMW doesn't make a replacement gasket for the DISA. They seem to do everything else so well.

Meyle control arms, M3 RTAB's, Bridgstone Potenza RE760
Silver325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Silver325

Quote:
Originally Posted by E RaK View Post
Is there any way you can post a mini-diy?
There are only two screws that hold in the DISA. This link shows the
DISA removed;
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=disa+removal

Old 01-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
Good find!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Razkal

My Ride: '03 330ci ///M vert
I replaced my DISA a week ago and it took about 20 minutes, made a difference with idling and my fuel consumption is better now as well.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #8
geoffriehl

yea, I drove her in this morning...the acceleration is smoother with much more power. I drove 600 miles over the weekend with an avg of 25.5 mpg, Maybe my gasket being wacky casued that....well, also my air filfter was junk....swapped that out also yesterday....Glad I was able to help! just make sure you get all the old gasket out...and make sure and lube the new one after you get it on the valve --- while it is out, inspect the upper and lower boots real well, even if they are not cracked, it may not be a bad idea to replace them while you are there. I reinstalled my upper (it was ok) but I may be putting a new one on soon, considering they are not expensive.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
druggrepp

My Ride: 325ci 2001
I had done the disa valve check, all ok.
Put all new intake boots on. Perfect for 6 months, then stumbling off red lites{5 spd}. I retightened all the intake boot clamps. and 99% better.
druggrepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
geoffriehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by druggrepp View Post
I had done the disa valve check, all ok.
Put all new intake boots on. Perfect for 6 months, then stumbling off red lites{5 spd}. I retightened all the intake boot clamps. and 99% better.
do you have any codes?
Old 01-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
xxilikericexx

My Ride: E36 M3, E46 325i
Hey OP did you have any issues with the rpms surging between 1-2 k when coming to a stop before you changed the gasket?
xxilikericexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
geoffriehl

no, i never had a surge....but i guess it could cause that

fancy M3 steering wheeL, 19's, clear lens set

stock otherwise

Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
wildcat293

My Ride: 325xi
how the hell did you figure out this gasket fits?

amazing find
wildcat293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
geoffriehl

well, ill give you the reader's digest version....it was suggested that I check the valve, and if the gasket was flattened out to replace it and that BMW does not offer a gasket but you can buy one on ebay. So, I ebay searched it and saw what the person was selling, looked at the valves, saw that I would have to scrape the old gasket out, got it out all clean and sat at my desk thinking about it and i thought there has got to an oring I can find to fit. Im the srv mgr for volvo in savannah, I searched my parts dept and an oil filter oring was close but too big, so I walked over to the advance auto across the parking lot and i know all the guys there, so they just let me dig through a box of random o-rings...and i opened a few up and settled on trying a few...and that one just seemed to fit!! thats about it! Glad I was able to help

stock otherwise

Old 01-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
Silver325

O-ring installed

I installed this o-ring today. The most time consuming part of this DIY is just getting the old gasket material removed and cleaning up the plastic groove (careful not to scratch it up!). As you can see in the photo below it fits very well. I should note that it is a bit thick in diameter, so even after lubing it up with a coat of oil I had to use the mounting screws to fully pull the DISA into the intake plenum. However, I think it made a really nice seal.

It was about 12 degrees F outside when I did this repair. Upon startup, I did not get any misfire codes or go into limp mode! I am going to reserve judgement on whether this really did fix my cold startup issue though. I'll need to try several more cold startups to be sure, and report back later how this goes on the long term. I am hopeful

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Old 01-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #16
geoffriehl

yea, thats exactly what I found, at first I was afraid it was going to roll out when I put it in, but when I started the bolts back in went in the intake, and then I alternated tightening them up and by the time I was done, it looked good to me! Man, if that fixes your issue --- !!!! that would make ME happy!!!! :-0

please let me know!

stock otherwise

Old 01-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #17
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Guys, I am just chasing a ghost of bad mpgs recently. Car drives fine, idles fine, no rattles, no loss of power, no codes nothing, just recently mpg dropped by 50 miles a tank.
I am willing to check DISA and clean ICV, intake boots.
Will a bad DISA cause bad mpg?
Are we talking about this item in this thread?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-330-...#ht_530wt_1217

I hate waiting for shipping, if its a same part then I will just get it from pep boys.

Also is it advised to change this O ring without having any symptoms of failed gasket? I mean as a preventative maintenance.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #18
geoffriehl

well, I am not sure about the mpg issue, (I have read threads on here suggesting it could) but if your intake boots were bad, I am faitly certain you would have a loss of power, a ck eng light...etc...

the ebay item: that is why I went to find something else -- I hate waiting also, and I also hate paying $15 for an o-ring!!! It fits great (maybe better than that one!) and costs $2 to $3! Im thinking about buying 50 of the one I found and then eBay them for $10!!!! (kidding!!!!)

good luck!

stock otherwise

Old 01-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #19
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffriehl View Post
well, I am not sure about the mpg issue, (I have read threads on here suggesting it could) but if your intake boots were bad, I am faitly certain you would have a loss of power, a ck eng light...etc...

the ebay item: that is why I went to find something else -- I hate waiting also, and I also hate paying $15 for an o-ring!!! It fits great (maybe better than that one!) and costs $2 to $3! Im thinking about buying 50 of the one I found and then eBay them for $10!!!! (kidding!!!!)

good luck!
lol, yah you should ebay them. I am just joking though.
Thats a wonderful find. I will stop by the advanced auto and get it today.
There is a buy one get one free on techron chevron in auto zone, I will grab a couple of those too.

I am not getting any SES/MIL lights nor any cold start problems or noticed any loss in power. Just the mpg dropped significantly, hence trying to do cheaper things first and see if it helps.

It won't do any harm if I take out the DISA and just replace the O-ring although the old one is tight, am I right? I just don't want to break anything, because I tend to break things when I am under the hood
Old 01-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #20
geoffriehl

No, it will not do any harm.....might as well try it!

stock otherwise