E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #501
Active 2

My Ride: 02 E46 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwydz View Post
just clicked over 50k miles on my 2003 m3, I bought mine last year this month at 40k miles. Drove it down to Florida from Illinois. It had basic maintenance done before I bought it not sure if it was Inspection II and all that but I have had no issues *cross fingers* My SMG light has turned on once but it was for a brief 20min period when it was very hot outside. When I restarted the car it turned off.

Question, I have only done an oil change and I changed my air filter as it seemed to be the original one in there. What would one more experienced suggest I look into doing? I took it two a trusty mechanic down the road to let me know what I needed done and it was basically my brakes, that's about it. Should I change my SMG fluid? Should I look more into inspection II??

Thanks!
Check your bushings, subframe, maybe a valve adjustment (if needed), diff seals, cabin filter, other small maintenance pieces

Hope this helps

AA Headers | AA Exhaust | AA tune | Ground Control | AFE scoops | Apex EC-7
Active 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #502
E46 WOT

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey 3er View Post
your factory fuel pump lasted 141k??
yep!

2004.5 M3 SMG
CF CSL Trunk, CSL replica bumper, 18x9.5 BW Arc-8's w/ 245/265 Hankook R-S3s, PFC 08 pads, SS brake lines, Prospeed 683 Brake fluid, ISC N1 Coilovers, Powerflex poly RTABs and sway bar bushings, Treehouse delrin FCABs,Tint, BSW I-Pod Dock, and 7 BMW CCA HPDS at VIR- A-Group, 2:14.10 VIR Full Course, 1:51's CMP, 1:24.4 Roebling Road, with no motor mods besides BW intake boot and K&N drop in filter
E46 WOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #503
E46 WOT

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterM View Post
If the pump sees inadequate pressure codes will be stored and do not always give the yellow cog of death. You will need a BMW specific tool to read the SMG codes - Peake RC3 at a minimum but a GT1 would be preferred. The generic OBD2 tools will be of no use for the SMG.

My guess is the gear position sensor, accumulator leaking pressure or the actuator is getting grumpy.

All fairly easy DIYs and fixes.
Yeah I need to dive in and see what codes are in there, my SES has been on and off for a few months now, maybe it's related. Good advice!

2004.5 M3 SMG
CF CSL Trunk, CSL replica bumper, 18x9.5 BW Arc-8's w/ 245/265 Hankook R-S3s, PFC 08 pads, SS brake lines, Prospeed 683 Brake fluid, ISC N1 Coilovers, Powerflex poly RTABs and sway bar bushings, Treehouse delrin FCABs,Tint, BSW I-Pod Dock, and 7 BMW CCA HPDS at VIR- A-Group, 2:14.10 VIR Full Course, 1:51's CMP, 1:24.4 Roebling Road, with no motor mods besides BW intake boot and K&N drop in filter
E46 WOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #504
hemi6

My Ride: M3
134,000 miles: original fuel pump, alternator, just tuned by FS, 300rwhp and runs perfect. Just replaced the original shocks w/Koni yesterday.
Mike

2004 M3 Coupe, Euro headers, 200 cell cats, tuned by FS.

Last edited by hemi6; 12-08-2013 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Added car specs
hemi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #505
SteveEvans

My Ride: 2003 M3 Coupe SMG
Just past 165K and on the original clutch. There, I've said it. Fate tempted!

Steve
SteveEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #506
Dwydz

My Ride: 2003 M3
thanks for all the great input!

Dwydz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #507
Goku9384

My Ride: 2003 BMW m3
102k miles original smg no issues.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #508
AMG&M3Lover

My Ride: 2002 Mercedes ML-320
Exclamation Help!

Hey I'm new here, and I'm seriously considering/about to buy 2002 M3, and at this particular dealership, there are two 02 M3's a 115k SMG with everything I want (Laguna Seca Blue too!) and a 95k 6MT, I have read over so many reviews. Now this car will be a graduation gift, so I won't be driving it much any other time than summer's probably less than 3k a year. I take care of my cars even my 91' Accord with 185k. And I have been in the Mercedes brand for a lonnng time from C-220 to S500 4Matic with all the bells and whistles, so maintenance cost aren't new, nor do they scare me. Should I be afraid of the SMG, I really like that one too. And more specifically am I going to walk into a $4500 transmission headache or should I not be concerned. I don't drive too aggressively and only enjoy exercising the right toe when its just right. Also note a 112k 05 S60 R and a 78k 05 S4 is in the mix too. Help me please!
AMG&M3Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:47 AM   #509
TitanSl33pr

My Ride: 330ci
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG&M3Lover View Post
Hey I'm new here, and I'm seriously considering/about to buy 2002 M3, and at this particular dealership, there are two 02 M3's a 115k SMG with everything I want (Laguna Seca Blue too!) and a 95k 6MT, I have read over so many reviews. Now this car will be a graduation gift, so I won't be driving it much any other time than summer's probably less than 3k a year. I take care of my cars even my 91' Accord with 185k. And I have been in the Mercedes brand for a lonnng time from C-220 to S500 4Matic with all the bells and whistles, so maintenance cost aren't new, nor do they scare me. Should I be afraid of the SMG, I really like that one too. And more specifically am I going to walk into a $4500 transmission headache or should I not be concerned. I don't drive too aggressively and only enjoy exercising the right toe when its just right. Also note a 112k 05 S60 R and a 78k 05 S4 is in the mix too. Help me please!
Happy to hear that you are about to join in on owning an M3. However, not quite the thread for your post. In fact, there are many threads that inquire the same exact questions...check them out. To entertain a portion of your concerns, a pre-purchacse inspection (ppi) is imperative! It does't matter 6T or SMG if you don't do that. The ppi will be more detailed than looking for oil leaks and listening weird noises, i.e. subframe cracks. As for 6MT vs SMG, it comes down to preference. I have an 03 steel gray with SMG. I didn't care either way, plus I've had straight shift coupes since I started driving. Actually, I liked the idea of having the option of paddle shift. If both turn out to be in great shape, then I would seriously consider the 6MT. They are a bit more rare and will give a more real driving experience. I hope this helps and much success to you and your M3 purchase.
TitanSl33pr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #510
AMG&M3Lover

My Ride: 2002 Mercedes ML-320
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSl33pr View Post
Happy to hear that you are about to join in on owning an M3. However, not quite the thread for your post. In fact, there are many threads that inquire the same exact questions...check them out. To entertain a portion of your concerns, a pre-purchacse inspection (ppi) is imperative! It does't matter 6T or SMG if you don't do that. The ppi will be more detailed than looking for oil leaks and listening weird noises, i.e. subframe cracks. As for 6MT vs SMG, it comes down to preference. I have an 03 steel gray with SMG. I didn't care either way, plus I've had straight shift coupes since I started driving. Actually, I liked the idea of having the option of paddle shift. If both turn out to be in great shape, then I would seriously consider the 6MT. They are a bit more rare and will give a more real driving experience. I hope this helps and much success to you and your M3 purchase.
Hey thanks a lot. Also yeah I was new I think I've found more treads as well, and that honestsly answered my question. When the E46 M3 came out I was like 7, so now that I can actually afford one it's like a dream come true haha. Thanks again!
AMG&M3Lover is offline   Reply With Quote