E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
AndreBXP

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Smile Video: How to install an Android Tablet as a Stereo

Hey E46Fanatics,

I just finished making my first video on the E46 and I decided that someone might enjoy it so I decided to post it. Its a DIY on installing a nexus 7 into your car as a head unit(For cheap). It's definitely not perfect, and the shooting environment was less than ideal, but I hope someone enjoys it. Feel free to leave a comment, good or bad, on this post or on the video. Thanks for reading this far, I hope you enjoy the vid!

EDIT: This video was meant to be a general guide. If you are planing to do this to your own E46 you should read though the thread as I explain some specifics in more detail. Info for the software I used on the Nexus 7 Tablet can be found on page 2. Wiring specifics and adding FM Radio can be found on page 1.

Last edited by AndreBXP; 02-22-2015 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Add more information.
AndreBXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
ChuckyVee

My Ride: 2000 323i
Very well done video!

The language was clear, complete parts list, and step by step procedure. This will surely be valuable to anyone considering this mod.

Congratulations!

First Bimmer..."Miss December"...2000 323i, purchased Dec. 2013 w/82K on the clock. PM thus far...pads/rotors, belts/pulleys, complete CS overhaul, FCABs, plugs, autotranny/differential service, fuel pump, filter, and relay. Emergency repairs...PS pump, turn signal stalk, CPS, Ignition Coil #2 cyl, electric aux fan.
ChuckyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
Ceric

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
I was completely lost at the part where you start soldering all the connections together. You did a really good job at describing the speaker wire soldering and what wires to solder to what. I am perfectly clear on that part. However, as soon as it starts talking about soldering rest of the wires together it get so vague that I am left feeling completely lost. This is the step I am stuck on.
Ceric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:29 PM   #4
ZSabotage

My Ride: 2000 328i
Great video, and awesome timing; just stopped me from dropping a bunch of money an AVIN Avant!
Though I am a bit confused on a few things:

Is the audio quality diminished at all by this setup?
How do I know if my steering controls are analog or digital? (2000 328i)
and how would I wire that if it was analog?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
AndreBXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceric View Post
I was completely lost at the part where you start soldering all the connections together. You did a really good job at describing the speaker wire soldering and what wires to solder to what. I am perfectly clear on that part. However, as soon as it starts talking about soldering rest of the wires together it get so vague that I am left feeling completely lost. This is the step I am stuck on.
Time began to become a constraint so some of the details had to be cut out, but I think the part your referring to is where I solder the positives/negatives to the rest of the components. I agree that it wasn't as clear as it could have been, but the gist is that you want to solder the positives from all the accessories(The charger, JoyCon, and preAmp) to the main harness' positive(red), and all the negatives from the accessories to the main harness' negative(black). I hope that helped clear it up for you!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:43 PM   #6
AndreBXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSabotage View Post
Great video, and awesome timing; just stopped me from dropping a bunch of money an AVIN Avant!

Thanks in advance!
I'm not an audiophile, but it certainly sounds better than a cassette adapter, or an FM modulator. I have never used/listened to a dynavin/Avant so I can't comment on how it compares, but it sounds as good as the stock unit. The DAC I used is good quality, and its much better than the audio output you would get if you wired it to the headphone jack on the tablet.

All E46 use digital(It's called I-Bus), I only mentioned analog if the car you were doing this to didn't have digital(like some older Bimmer, or some other make+model).
Old 02-21-2015, 09:55 PM   #7
ZSabotage

awesome, thank you!

~200 bucks hella beats 799 for an Avin

You're a life saver
Old 02-21-2015, 10:35 PM   #8
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Your car has left front, right front, left rear and right rear. 4 channels. The android device only has two channels, left and right. So, what he does is ties the left front and rear together, and the right front and rear together. There are + wires and - wires, so you get two + wires for the left side and two + wires for the right side, and two - wires for the left and two - for the right.

Then, you take the left + wires and put them on the center pin of an RCA jack, and the - wires on the outside. Repeat for the right side speakers.

You know which wires are left and right, front and rear, + and - because the adaptor cable has them all marked. What you are working with is an adaptor that looks TO THE CAR like a standard radio. This will allow somebody to simply unplug your work someday and revert the car back to factory configuration, or install an Kenwood if they want to.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:45 PM   #9
AndreBXP

^^ This
Old 02-21-2015, 11:07 PM   #10
gzoneZHP

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP
This brings back memories from when I did my laptop / docking station setup a few years back. I relocated the head unit to the glove box though, to avoid using all the gadgets you used, and keep all the functionality / the premium sound quality intact, directly from the HU.... Great job none the less, and nice video too. I +1'ed it. Maybe I can share the old school way I did it sometime .

By the way, I liked all the music in the video. Good driving music. Think you can PM me the track list? Or Spotify playlist if you have it on there?

Peace.
-2002 Black Civic. Auto. Beater.
-ZHP CarPC (Done in '08)

Last edited by gzoneZHP; 02-21-2015 at 11:08 PM.
gzoneZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:35 PM   #11
AndreBXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzoneZHP View Post

By the way, I liked all the music in the video. Good driving music. Think you can PM me the track list? Or Spotify playlist if you have it on there?

Peace.
All the tracks are in the video description.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:02 AM   #12
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSabotage View Post

Thanks in advance!
I was wondering the same thing about determining the analog vs. digital steering wheel controls.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:18 AM   #13
boostntsi

My Ride: 330i
Well done...thank you
boostntsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:39 AM   #14
gzoneZHP

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreBXP View Post
All the tracks are in the video description.
Sweet. Thanks, I'll get the tunes.

Found the old install pics for when I did my setup back in 08, when there were no tablets around . Still in the car now. Still works flawlessly. Runs Windows XP on the back end, CentraFuse on the Front end. Virtually anything can be added via usb. http://assets.akagc.com/customs/330carpc/

I used the AUX port from the business CD port to maintain steering wheel controls for the PC, have AM/FM radio, and tuned the HU AUX gain + mixer tools on the pc to load my custom audio presets frequencies for extra tuning on mids, lows, and highs to unlock even more sound of the business CD. Also have the Ipod connector somewhere in there.
-2002 Black Civic. Auto. Beater.
-ZHP CarPC (Done in '08)
gzoneZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:47 AM   #15
ZSabotage

It just occurred to me that this forfeits radio capability. Unless theres someway to rig the Nexus into playing FM.
i know some older android phones will tune radio stations if something is plugged into the headphone jack, i wonder if theres a way to rig the factory antenna to the nexus to gain that function back.

Last edited by ZSabotage; 02-22-2015 at 01:47 AM.
ZSabotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:04 AM   #16
Ceric

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreBXP View Post
Time began to become a constraint so some of the details had to be cut out, but I think the part your referring to is where I solder the positives/negatives to the rest of the components. I agree that it wasn't as clear as it could have been, but the gist is that you want to solder the positives from all the accessories(The charger, JoyCon, and preAmp) to the main harness' positive(red), and all the negatives from the accessories to the main harness' negative(black). I hope that helped clear it up for you!
That helps a lot. Thank you.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:40 AM   #17
Ceric

This will add FM radio to any Android device:

www.sdrtouch.com

You can tune in to a lot more than just FM radio tho. You can listen to Aircraft traffic, ham radio, weather radio, radar, everything!

Last edited by Ceric; 02-22-2015 at 03:48 AM.
Ceric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #18
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
The video was well done. Overall, a comprehensive and clear presentation of needs to be done.

A couple of comments:
- hot glue? I think a short "wall" of epoxy would work better
- I would drill a hole in the DD bracket in the area of the ambient light sensor
- I would have epoxied 4 nylon nut + nylon rod assemblies onto the bracket and then used plastic "bar" to hold the tablet in place
- I didn't see any use of soldering flux

Nice job!
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #19
AndreBXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
The video was well done. Overall, a comprehensive and clear presentation of needs to be done.

A couple of comments:
- hot glue? I think a short "wall" of epoxy would work better
- I would drill a hole in the DD bracket in the area of the ambient light sensor
- I would have epoxied 4 nylon nut + nylon rod assemblies onto the bracket and then used plastic "bar" to hold the tablet in place
- I didn't see any use of soldering flux

Nice job!
Thanks!

Everything you said would work, but I tried to figure out a way that anyone could do it. Epoxy would probably be much better. The radio shack 60/40 rosin core solder solders well enough on its own that I didn't worry about flux, but its certainly better if you use it.

Quote:
This will add FM radio to any Android device:

www.sdrtouch.com

You can tune in to a lot more than just FM radio tho. You can listen to Aircraft traffic, ham radio, weather radio, radar, everything!
Because the radio stations around me only play garbage 98% of the time I decided to forgo radio and just use Spotify + Pandora + TuneIn. I completely forgot to mention this. If you wanted to add radio, this is how you'd do it. Because the hub I used has 2 free ports, 2 more accessories can be easily added.

I'll post a DIY soon.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #20
fn42

My Ride: 2001 330 xi
nice, thanks for the post! I just picked up a cheap tablet the other day for this purpose =)

Tags
android tablet, aux imput, nexus 7 headunit, radio