E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #41
Elwin

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
Anyone who has tried this:

I have a 04xi. base package w/old fashioned manual mirror. popped it out and to my suprise, it has a fully wired 10 pin harness (with only two wires going into the mirror - for clown nose). I plugged in my new anti dazzle mirror w/ugdo and its doing nothing. Not even blinking the light- then again, its bright as hell out, so who knows. 2 questions - 1. are we sure wire for wire its the same harness (before I get out my tester.... and 2. is there a fuse that may have been left out for this or does this need to be retrofitted into the VO/ZCS?
This is because you have no premium package so you missing pin 1 and pin 3 from the car to the mirror. The pin #1 is the rear gear. pin #3 is the power from the moment when ignition is on.

The fuse is missing as well. So some re-wiring is required to retrofit autodimming mirror and make it work properly in case you do not have premium package.
Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #42
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Nice upgrade
Old 03-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #43
drumbum624

My Ride: 325xi
Send a message via AIM to drumbum624
Delmarco, do you still have your e90 rain sensor housing?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #44
riceowls

My Ride: Houston, TX
Does anyone have any idea what to do with regards of SOS/Assist mirror replacement.
riceowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #45
bimmerman11

My Ride: 2005 330Xi
Send a message via AIM to bimmerman11
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceowls View Post
Does anyone have any idea what to do with regards of SOS/Assist mirror replacement.
I'm wondering the same thing.
bimmerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #46
Pathfinder7

My Ride: 05 Blue M3 ZCP
Here's a link to a possible fix when replacing the SOS with a non-SOS:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=847284

I have not tried it yet, but will be doing so today. I'll post my results...
Pathfinder7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #47
Elsamo

My Ride: 2004 325 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder7 View Post
Here's a link to a possible fix when replacing the SOS with a non-SOS:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=847284

In for results on the non SOS conversion! Replacing a non-functioning auto-dim w/SOS for a autodimming/homelink/compass unit i picked up on ebay today for $125. SCORE!

Delmarco: Stop making such awesome DIYs. You're bleeding me dry one mod at a time
Elsamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #48
Elsamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder7 View Post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...r+auto+dim+diy

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...-mirror-w-pics

Proceed with caution friend - Came across a couple of horror stories of kentucky fried mirrors if you dont change up the wiring...
Old 02-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #49
Elsamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceowls View Post
I replaced the SOS mirror (that i think was *supposed* to be auto dimming) on my '04 with the same anti-dazzle/homelink/compass mirror from a wrecked e90 (same one I think Del was using). Wiring harness was the same so there was no need to purchase the retrofit harness but from everything I read you have to either cut or pull pins 4-7. These power the SOS/assist and can fry a new mirror if not disconnected. There was also something i read about relocating one of the pins to the #3 position which i did not do. I think this may have been specific to putting in the round-style mirror.

I've had it in for about a week with everything tested and working. Pleased to report no smoking mirror or random calls to BMW assist. Another great just-over-a-hundred-bucks upgrade!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #50
richyboycaldo

My Ride: Mx5 300zx 240z 330c
anyone with autodimming mirror and convertible tried it yet?
richyboycaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #51
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsamo View Post
I replaced the SOS mirror (that i think was *supposed* to be auto dimming) on my '04 with the same anti-dazzle/homelink/compass mirror from a wrecked e90 (same one I think Del was using). Wiring harness was the same so there was no need to purchase the retrofit harness but from everything I read you have to either cut or pull pins 4-7. These power the SOS/assist and can fry a new mirror if not disconnected. There was also something i read about relocating one of the pins to the #3 position which i did not do. I think this may have been specific to putting in the round-style mirror.

I've had it in for about a week with everything tested and working. Pleased to report no smoking mirror or random calls to BMW assist. Another great just-over-a-hundred-bucks upgrade!
Hey did you ever do the retrofit? I just bought a homelink/compass/autodim mirror to replace my current autodim/SOS mirror. Can you explain what wires you had to move and/or cut to disable the SOS and make everything work?
Thanks!

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #52
Elsamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDee View Post
Hey did you ever do the retrofit? I just bought a homelink/compass/autodim mirror to replace my current autodim/SOS mirror. Can you explain what wires you had to move and/or cut to disable the SOS and make everything work?
Thanks!
Yup - I pulled pins 4-7 on the car side of the harness (they are all numbered) and everything worked like a charm. I don't recall there being any great guides to pulling the individual pins, but there was a retention clip on the harness that i removed then using a very small screwdriver pressed down on the top to release the pin. You can then pull each wire out with a needle nose. If you aren't worried about the mod being reverseable you could just cut the wires and tape off the end.

Good luck!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #53
cheekoman

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Hello Elsamo:

I did this mod last week and once and a while my radio shuts off and it says BMW Assist Inactive. I'm assuming from what I read here that pulling pins 4-7 on the car side of the harness will stop this from happening?

Thanks!
cheekoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #54
Elsamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekoman View Post
Hello Elsamo:

I did this mod last week and once and a while my radio shuts off and it says BMW Assist Inactive. I'm assuming from what I read here that pulling pins 4-7 on the car side of the harness will stop this from happening?

Thanks!
Not sure what your original setup was but when I upgraded it was from the SOS assist mirror. From everything I read you're lucky the new mirror didn't start smoking like a hippie at a Phish reunion.

I never plugged in the full harness but pulling 4-7 cuts power to the assist features, so I'd assume that would solve your problem - i just know it worked for me. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #55
cheekoman

Yes, I upgraded from the SOS mirror.... Wow, smoking? I'll definitely pull those pins tonight. Last thing I want is my $300 mirror to crap out on me!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #56
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsamo View Post
Yup - I pulled pins 4-7 on the car side of the harness (they are all numbered) and everything worked like a charm. I don't recall there being any great guides to pulling the individual pins, but there was a retention clip on the harness that i removed then using a very small screwdriver pressed down on the top to release the pin. You can then pull each wire out with a needle nose. If you aren't worried about the mod being reverseable you could just cut the wires and tape off the end.

Good luck!
I just installed the mirror and pulled out cables 4 through 7. Works great! Thanks again! Any idea how to get the temperature to work on the mirror?

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #57
cheekoman

Great Thread

Hey Guys:

Mirror installed and basically just clipped the wires for pins 4-7 and have not had the BMW Assist alert since. Seems to be working like a charm although I haven't driven at night yet, but I suspect it will work fine. I'm also curious about the temperature gauge although the car has one, so no big deal.

One thing Elsamo mentioned was that there was a way to program the mirror to know which part of the world you are in? He mentioned something about numbers showing up when you press the reset button. I pressed mine and the number 8 came up. I have no idea if that's the right number for my region...(northeast USA) Elsamo, do you have a list of the numbers and corresponding regions from the installation guide you have?

- Mike
Old 04-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #58
Elsamo

Glad to hear it's working guys. Let me know if you find out about the temp.

The zones can be found here
Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #59
bimmerman11

My Ride: 2005 330Xi
Send a message via AIM to bimmerman11
I'm looking to do this mod as well.

Does your temperature gauge work with the new mirror DavidDee? If so, how did you fix it?

Also, would you guys, who successfully installed a mirror with compass, post the part # if you can? When I look on eBay, the mirrors I see have so many different part #s.

Thanks.
bimmerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #60
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
This is because you have no premium package so you missing pin 1 and pin 3 from the car to the mirror. The pin #1 is the rear gear. pin #3 is the power from the moment when ignition is on.

The fuse is missing as well. So some re-wiring is required to retrofit autodimming mirror and make it work properly in case you do not have premium package.
I never did post back to this thread. I did have to jump in those wires, I think I had to add switched power and ground, which i stole from the UGDO harness that was floating in the roof. Everything works fine except for the reverse thing which I didnt even try to hook up.

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote