E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #61
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
I want a lever action like a Henry or Marlin

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #62
Finkleberg
Banned User

My Ride: Mtree
Great post op
Finkleberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #63
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Why not a Mossberg? ...because Mossberg fucking made this:

I'd actually like to have one of those...Alotta junk would have to be ditched but it would make a great host gun. .30-30 can be loaded way down in one of those.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #64
evo12b

My Ride: e30 M3
I believe the Benelli Super 90 is about the best 12 ga.on the planet. Ive owned 7 or 8 & used them with great success for 6 years while on a hardship tour in Kansazz. Only had ONE failure to cycle but it was a low brass #6 shot & was older than Gabby Hays.That said,I sold all of mine & my spares collection/investment and came back home to the 870. Ive read that in the last 53 years or so of production they have sent some 10,000,000 examples out the door. Sounds like lots of spares out in them their woods & that many sportsman,LEO,& soldiers must know something.Ive got Scattergun Technolgies/Wilson Combat ghost ring sights on mine.Thunder Ranch swears by these sights. The Mesa Tactical M4 style stock or a Rem.or Houge 13.5" LOP stock seems to be $$ well spent NMHO. The 870 is easy to work on or Id but in trouble,lol! Doug out
evo12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #65
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
The 870 has always been a great shotgun, but it's gotten worse in recent years by Remington's poor quality control since Cerberus/Freedom Group took over. That said, the advantage to the 870 is that it's a shotgun, and tolerances are loose, much like an AK. As such, variances in production quality make little difference for general operation.
All of our tactical Wilson Combat shotguns have those sights. They're excellent for long range shots; particularly with slugs. I don't like it for rapid shots, and I would actually prefer a bead sight for close range work, but if you spend enough time with the Wilson sights, you can get a bit faster.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #66
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: stock
Hi guys. Looking to pick up my first gun. Big 5 has a mossberg 500 Silver w two barrels for 299 for BF. I was trying to look up what the silver was but couldnt find any concrete info on it, just forum threads saying "I think it has cheaper parts." anybody here know about the "silver" model? I like that it has 2 barrels so I can keep the short one on for home defense and the longer one for shooting clays. It's this or an 870 express.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #67
shwagon

My Ride: 325it 5-speed
Id go with the 870. I have an express tactical that I picked up for just under $400. Only problem is the finish seem pretty thin. If you are looking at cheaper shotguns check what shells can and can not be used with it I would only buy one that can shoot slugs bc you know that the barrel is decent.
My Gun Builds: AR-15, GSG-522-SD, Saiga 308
shwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #68
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325max View Post
Hi guys. Looking to pick up my first gun. Big 5 has a mossberg 500 Silver w two barrels for 299 for BF. I was trying to look up what the silver was but couldnt find any concrete info on it, just forum threads saying "I think it has cheaper parts." anybody here know about the "silver" model? I like that it has 2 barrels so I can keep the short one on for home defense and the longer one for shooting clays. It's this or an 870 express.
I have no answer to your question on the difference between the silver and standard, other than your initial research seems to be spot on about using cheaper parts from Mexico. Take a look through the two pages above though, and you will see that the guys with experience in shotguns will generally choose the Remington 870 over the Mossberg 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwagon View Post
Id go with the 870. I have an express tactical that I picked up for just under $400. Only problem is the finish seem pretty thin. If you are looking at cheaper shotguns check what shells can and can not be used with it I would only buy one that can shoot slugs bc you know that the barrel is decent.
After the advice from this thread, I picked up a Remington 870 Express Tactical and threw on the Blackhawk Spec Ops II pistol grip and stock. I had a Magpul MS3 sling that wasn't being used and put that on too.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #69
bjo

My Ride: 04 m3, 03 x5, 95 m3
Anyone have an opinion on a Remington 1100 TAC2?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #70
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I put an old Primary Arms micro on it. So far so good.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #71
Reedo302

Make sure to blue Loctite the screw that holds that stock in place. The geniuses that installed the Knoxx stocks on the 870s in our squad cars didn't use blue Loctite, and the screws loosened up during a qualification and the stocks started jiggling and flopping around, and it really affected our accuracy. This happened to every shotgun we had on the firing line.

Glock Armorer

Old 12-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #72
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I'm 99% sure that I did, but I'll go through it anyway. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #73
Jimmeh

My Ride: 335i
Hey guys,

Looking to pick up a few shotguns relatively soon, the woman wants

http://www.basspro.com/Mossberg-FLEX...0829053340685/

and I am looking at this

http://www.basspro.com/Benelli-12-Ga...duct/10217920/

Our main use of these would be for Clay / Skeet shooting. She is pretty set on what she wants (Mossberg 500), but i'm still undecided other than it has to be black and i'd rather pay a little more for something that is dependable. Price range is around 400.

My friend told me to check out Stoeger also, also made by Benelli.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Jimmeh; 01-07-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Jimmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #74
Reedo302

If that's what she wants and she has a reason for wanting it, then that's what she should get. The question is this- Why does she want the Mossberg?
With that said, Benelli is a FAR superior gun to Mossberg. Better build quality, better reliability and durability, and better features and functions.
One thing that I would bring up is that women have a tendency to short-stroke pump shotguns, as do guys with a shorter length of pull. This is particularly an issue with people who are shorter, as women tend to be. If you look at the slide of Nova, you'll notice that the rear of it is extended back a long ways to the edge of the receiver. This is a big advantage to people with a shorter length of pull, as they can hold the slide closer in, and be able to cycle the slide easier. This reduces or eliminates short-stroking tendencies. The Nova was designed to fit a wider range of shooters.

Stoeger is a decent company. They're basically like stripped-down Benellis. The parts/build quality isn't on par with Benelli, but that's because it's the economy version of them. It's like a Honda vs Acura situation.

Glock Armorer

Old 01-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #75
Jimmeh

Quote:
If that's what she wants and she has a reason for wanting it, then that's what she should get. The question is this- Why does she want the Mossberg?
With that said, Benelli is a FAR superior gun to Mossberg. Better build quality, better reliability and durability, and better features and functions.
One thing that I would bring up is that women have a tendency to short-stroke pump shotguns, as do guys with a shorter length of pull. This is particularly an issue with people who are shorter, as women tend to be. If you look at the slide of Nova, you'll notice that the rear of it is extended back a long ways to the edge of the receiver. This is a big advantage to people with a shorter length of pull, as they can hold the slide closer in, and be able to cycle the slide easier. This reduces or eliminates short-stroking tendencies. The Nova was designed to fit a wider range of shooters.

Stoeger is a decent company. They're basically like stripped-down Benellis. The parts/build quality isn't on par with Benelli, but that's because it's the economy version of them. It's like a Honda vs Acura situation.
She has owned one in the past and wants to get the same model again (I know you've had issues with them in the past). I'll have her check out some other models at the shop and let her decide for herself.

Thanks for the info about the Nova and the short-stroking.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #76
Jimmeh

Picked up the Benelli Nova (top) for myself and the girl got a Remington 887 (bottom).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130111_231952.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	485769  

Last edited by Jimmeh; 01-12-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #77
RenJ

My Ride: 2008 V36
Just picked up two of these (one for our house and one for the parent's house). Remington 870 Express 18" 20ga. w/two round ext. First time using Buds, so curious to see how the process will be.

Follow-up question: Any recommendations on varying loads for a HD setup? e.g. #4 buck, #4 buck, slug, etc. Thanks!

Last edited by RenJ; 01-25-2013 at 02:23 PM.
RenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #78
ThaHooch

My Ride: e46
Anyone have experience with a Remington 887? From what I've read, it's based on the 870...are the parts compatible?

** Political sig removed **
ThaHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #79
Reedo302

It's not really based on the 870. Most parts are completely different, not the least of which is the bolt. Don't count on it being the same.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #80
ThaHooch

My Ride: e46
Quote:
It's not really based on the 870. Most parts are completely different, not the least of which is the bolt. Don't count on it being the same.
Thanks, went with the 870 supermag...turns out, some of the parts on it are not interchangeable with the 870 either oh well...only thing I want to do for now is add a tube extender...any recommendations?

Are these any good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390563005083...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151015140155...84.m1423.l2649

btw - I have a 26" barrel

TIA

** Political sig removed **
ThaHooch is offline   Reply With Quote