E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
aabond

My Ride: BMW 325i 2004
Rear Wheel Bearing DIY - Half Shaft Axle Stuck to Hub - What a Pain!!!

I've add more pics of the process!!!

This was Harbor Freights 5 ton hydraulic puller. Don't waste your time.

I've tried both these on numerous projects and have had limited success with them. I tried a google search and found Acetone and ATF in a 1:1 ratio was far more effective. (http://www.triumphrat.net/classic-vi...enetrants.html is one of the sites that cited the magazine who performed the study.)

I zipped tied a ziploc bag to the hub and injected the home-brew penetrant (atf-acetone) using a resin syringe. Let it set for about an hour while I was running around buying miscellaneous tools. This seemed to loosen up the splines ( or perhaps just the plain brute force of the hammer )

Used two 2-ft extensions to reach the differential EXTERNAL TORX bolts. I believe it was an E14

Suspended the half-shaft with a bungee cord. May make axle removal easier, but if nothing else will protect it from damage.

Used the slide hammer flange from autozone with a big grade 8 bolt from Broward Bolt. Tightened the lug nuts down until they were flush with the back side of the hub. Tightened down the big bolt until there was some tension between it and the end of the axle. Essentially the flange held the bolt straight and steady while I hammered away. ( I did buy three new lug bolts to replace these, even though no apparent damage was visible.)

Perhaps my best friend when it came time for axle removal.

Once the axle is removed, slide hammer replaced the big bolt. Lug nuts tightened down all the way now. A few persistent whacks and she's off!

With the hub off now, the inner outboard race had to come off. Harbor freight had an inexpensive bearing puller. I clamped it down on the bearing where there was a groove to attach to.

This is the rear arm with the bearing removed.

This is the old bearing as it came out with the bearing removal tool from Harbor Freight ($80 plus another couple bucks for nuts, as the head of the bolt that came with the set was only Welded together and painted, and of course I was able to break it off). Whatever you decide to use for a tool on this project, make sure it is capable of enduring brute force. I started off thinking I could rig something out of PVC, was I wrong.

I tried using a 1:1 mixture of acetone and ATF fluid as a penetrant as neither PB Blaster nor Buster worked in releasing the half-shaft. It seems to have worked pretty well. According to some "Scientific" test, ATF-Acetone worked the best at releasing stubborn bolts (Try doing a google for it).

The only way I was successful at removing the half-shaft axle from the wheel hub was using the slide hammer flange as a stabilizer for the big bolt (hammering point) purchased from Broward Bolt ($16 ) . Tightened the lug bolts until they were flush with the back of the hub. Tightened the big bolt so that there was some tension. Then gave a few whacks with the 8lbs sledgehammer. Tightened the big bolt some more and whacked it continuously until the axle backed out.

Wheel bearing tool is must for this task, as I tried rigging up some pvc bearing extractors and ended up laughing at my self.

Last edited by aabond; 08-10-2009 at 03:03 PM.
aabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
shwagon

My Ride: 325it 5-speed

take the nut off???
My Gun Builds: AR-15, GSG-522-SD, Saiga 308
shwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
aabond

The nut is plenty loose. It's there to stop the hub or axle from flying off and to protect the threads of the axle. I also took it off just to make sure and it's still stuck there. Cooling it now with dry ice in denatured alcohol. It's pretty cold now, going to hit it with the mapp torch next unless I get a better idea.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahnburnerit View Post
take the nut off???

Seriously, good luck. Why not use some penetrating oil?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Eurobahn BMW
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: BMW Greensboro
is the back part off the differential? no matter how hard you hit it, its not going to come out cause itll compress to limit and then stop.use a pry bar, remove rear axel from the back, and then try hitting it again. GL and just go ahead and take that nut completely off. what is the point of having it on?

Eurobahn BMW MINI Mercedes-Benz Audi - Greensboro, NC Search for a local, independent BMW Greensboro shop with BMW mechanics that have dealer-level expertise at a fraction of the cost.

Eurobahn BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
aabond

Nut is off now and still no luck. The axle is disconnected from the differential output flange and laying pretty low resting on the sway bar which I partially disconnected and rotated down. The muffler has also been removed. I tried freezing it with dry ice in ethanol which is -72 degrees Fahrenheit. Hitting it with a MAP torch next while still applying the pressure of the 5-ton gear puller. If only the 12-ton hydraulic puller was in stock.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!
Old 08-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
shwagon

I use a slide hammer to pull the hubs out, It should be a rent-a-tool at auto zone or the such. The hub usually pops right out using one of those. GL
Old 08-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
aabond

I tried the slide hammer from autozone attached to the hub and added 10lbs of bench press plates and slammed the heck out of it. Didn't seem to budge.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
aabond

Exclamation

I'm up to 20 lbs of bench press weight plus the 2lbs weight it came with. My buddy and I are alternating turns slamming the slide hammer. Still no luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideHammer1.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	325834   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideHammer2.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	325835   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideHammer3.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	325836   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideHammer4.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	325837  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideHammer5.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	325838   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideHammer6.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	325839   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideHammer7.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	325840   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideHammer8.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	325841  

Old 08-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
shwagon

dammit man, idk, your heating the hub and cooling the axle right? Part of the wheel bearing will come off with the hub so most of the resistance should be with the axle and hub. At the dealer we have a "pusher" kind of like what your using except that it is threaded. GL
Old 08-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
shwagon

also try to find a way to put the weights behind the pull to get more momentum.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
aabond

As you can see from the photos, we are giving it all we got. The last bullet in our arsenal is a 7 ton crank puller from Sears. We plan to hit it on its head once torqued down. Problem is that it is a two pronged one since Sears did not have a 3 pronged one. Don't know how stable it will be when hit. Will keep all of you who have helped posted. Am getting to hate this project.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #13
shwagon

I see you have compressed air. With the axle lose from the diff, try using air hammer on the axle to push it out? (seen it before, but needs to be a nice air hammer no walmart deal)
Old 08-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #14
Eurobahn BMW
Regional Sponsor

not sure if the stuff you are messing with is gonna be any good when it comes out after all this mess. i mean there is probably a **** ton of force being applied and its not working. that's insane. i would just keep at it with a hammer. it seems like it would be the best viable solution. kinda like impact gun over breaker bar you know?

Eurobahn BMW MINI Mercedes-Benz Audi - Greensboro, NC Search for a local, independent BMW Greensboro shop with BMW mechanics that have dealer-level expertise at a fraction of the cost.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #15
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
did you try hammering at 12 then at 6 a few times then using the puller
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #16
aabond

I thought about the air hammer, but it is indeed a piece of garbage. I will give it a try just in case. I have tried tapping with a 4lbs engineer's hammer at 3, 6,9, and 12 o'clock on the hub and also smacked it like crazy with a rubber mallet. I guess I'm going to resort to lots of heat along with the puller, or perhaps look into a bigger 12 ton hydraulic puller. How much different is using a 12 ton puller compared to having a machine shop pressing it out with a hydraulic press (other than amount of force)? It's just a matter of applying enough pressure to the axle to push it out.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #17
///Flash
Banned

My Ride: a donkey
unbolt the drive shaft from the rear differential.
///Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #18
Eurobahn BMW
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Flash View Post
unbolt the drive shaft from the rear differential.
he's already done that.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #19
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
usually they arent THAT hard to get out. I've seen a few that are a complete ***** but not that bad
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #20
GDA

My Ride: M5, 325i and 330i
I once had to beat on a fwd Volvo one with my slide hammer for like 30 minutes. Every BMW I've done has popped out in less than 5 minutes of constant hammering.

This Volvo front was completely stuck; but after hammering on it till my arms wanted to fall off it finally let go. Keep at it with the slide hammer and it should finally break the rust/corrosion that is helping hold it in there.
GDA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearing, half-shaft removal, rear wheel bearing, wheel bearing