E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
Brandond11

My Ride: 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Brandond11 Send a message via Yahoo to Brandond11
V1 Display Install

I'm thinking about installing the V1 hidden display unit in the A Pil lar (why does this word censor?) or where some people have the homelink remote. I like the ashtray idea but I don't want to have to glance down in order to see the display. Has anyone done this before? I'll start on this Saturday most likely.

I just don't like my V1 sitting up by the mirror. You can still see it through the front window...
Brandond11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
In the A Pillar? You would have to cut and make it look nice to be proper. The V1 still has to be displayed or mounted somewhere and they recommend as high and as centered as possible on the windshield.(Last time I had one that is what the manual said).

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
bishop1977

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP S/C
have fun removing the a pillar the torx screws are long as hell and a pain to take out without stripping
bishop1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 AM   #4
Chris-alfonso

My Ride: 330i
Wouldnt it interfere with the airbag that behind the A pillar if you were to ever get into an accident (KNOCK ON WOOD you dont)
Chris-alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
adamdifilippo

My Ride: The M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandond11 View Post
I'm thinking about installing the V1 hidden display unit in the A Pil lar (why does this word censor?) or where some people have the homelink remote. I like the ashtray idea but I don't want to have to glance down in order to see the display. Has anyone done this before? I'll start on this Saturday most likely.

I just don't like my V1 sitting up by the mirror. You can still see it through the front window...
The V1 near the mirror is the best place for it. It's the best place for any radar detector - it has to have it's sensors exposed so it can receive the signal and warn you. You could put the detector in the very front of the vehicle and keep the remote display unit wherever you want it. However, that would render the rear sensor useless (rear sensor FTW). I kept my V1 right under my mirror, so from a distance it didn't really look like a radar detector, just looked like a huge mirror. I had the remote display in the instrument cluster. My good friend that works at the dealership said most people mount it there, I just velcro'd it.

I don't think putting the remote display in the A Pillar will be an easy task... but I guess anything is possible.

Last edited by adamdifilippo; 08-18-2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: typo
adamdifilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
dangillan

My Ride: '01 330i
Send a message via AIM to dangillan
I used to love having my v1 all stealthy with my concealed display above my radio in the center console of my e30. I played around with locations for a concealed display in the new e46 and found that no spot was more visible and more convenient to mute than skipping the display all together and mounting the unit on the left side above the mirror with a hardwire kit. I love the display, but there really is no good place for it. My other thought was making a custom air vent that held the display, but its more work than it is worth. I say drive around with just the unit hardwired in your favorite spot for a while and see what you think. im used to it now and its just as good. especially since theres no way of really hiding the unit anyway.
dangillan is offline   Reply With Quote