E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #101
aurelius

My Ride: ZHP Sedan + 2 E30s
worth clarifying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho328i View Post
Strange that almost no one mentions that when you de-tension the tensioner there are two holes that align on it, you can put a pin/nail/allen wrench in there and it will hold it in that position.

You can then calmly set up your belt. When it is all set de-tension a little more, remove pin and slowly let the tensioner go back to press on the belt.

It's quite an elegant solution. It prevents you from having to push on the ratchet with one hand while trying to position the belt with the other.
Pancho328i
True but to clarify, the info quoted above only applies to the mechanical-style belt tensioner.

I don't recall if the a/c belt tensioner also has this feature but that might help in situations such as in post #96.

Further clarification:

The first photo below (copied from OP's post #4) is a hydraulic-style belt tensioner and requires an 8mm hex socket for de-tensioning. The 2nd photo correctly advocates using the nut built into the mechanical tensioner housing as an easier way to de-tension (vs the T50 bolt seen on the pulley itself).

Last edited by aurelius; 05-03-2011 at 12:43 PM.
aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #102
zwei e46

My Ride: '99 323i & '05 325xi
I just finished replacing the belts, tensioners and pulleys using this DIY on my wifes 2005 325xi.

I have a manual 323i and this was my first experience with changing something upfront with an auto tranny. Took a ride over to Bavauto and picked up all the parts and tools needed.

All went off without a hitch thanks to this DIY.

Thanks delmarco
zwei e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #103
stef99e46

My Ride: 99 E46
Ok, I have a 99 328i auto sedan. There is no fan or fan clutch. Is this a hold over from the E36 or did the PO take it all out. We just bought this car and it needs a cooling refresh. Are we F****ed into buying a new fan and fan clutch?
stef99e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #104
dottenbacher

My Ride: '99 328i
For some reason i cant see any of the pictures for this DIY. They are all just coming up with the small boxes with red "x"'s in them. I right clicked on one and selected show picture, but no good. Can anyone else see the pictures?

My tensioner just started making noise this morning and I need to change it out tonight for a trip that I have coming up this weekend.

Thanks
dottenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #105
dottenbacher

My Ride: '99 328i
Well, I'm OK for now. I was able to see most of them on the repost of them (post #39) for some reason.
dottenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:14 AM   #106
SF323Ci

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Meh

I tried this today with little success. First I couldn't find the engine block drain plug - it's not obvious where it is on the 323. Then there was no way I could find to get the holder tool in place - no matter which way I turned it, the vanos or the fan shroud or the upper hose got in the way.

How safe is it to turn the fan nut to get a better angle? It was pushing back pretty hard (I have a 1/2 inch gash across my thumb to prove it) and I was afraid I was either going to snap something or do some damage to the surrounding area with the wrench, so I buttoned it all back up and decided to try again next week. I'm going back in with a bicycle headset wrench (which is the right size but much thinner), which may make the tight clearance less of an issue.

Anyone else found this process to be a pain?
SF323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:17 AM   #107
bmwmen

My Ride: E46 323Ci
Don't have an auto but job well done! Really great DIY :-)
bmwmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #108
reyes186

My Ride: e46
E46 Mechanical Tensioner for Water Pump/Alternator Belt., Roller & Tensioner Assembly will fit i don't have one ???
Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #109
LI_BIMMER

My Ride: 2000 - i, 2003 X5
While I did my original replacement in 2006, my water pump broke on me today and I used this thread as a reference. I had a grinding / Squeeling noise for the past week on a cold startup and I thought is was the alternator. Why would it be my water pump since I replaced it 5.5 years ago and it has 34k on it? If I had paid more attention, the water pump was leaking a little antifreeze every night when parked. The main belt came off while driving and I noticed the battery light was on. I was thinking my alternator went but the bearing in the pump broke and the main belt slipped off (I am lucky). I purchase one locally and it was completed in just over an hour. Great write up!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #110
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Nice Job! Well documented, and useful. Im gonna bump it for anybody who needs it.
Do my cooling sytem this weekend, but I wont be replacing the clutch fan...
going electric.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #111
goose123

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
I spent the most time looking for that elusive 5/8. Should have read the whole thread before I started this today. The first picture was what I was looking at. Got lost when I went to the second one, lol.

Still a great DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelius View Post
True but to clarify, the info quoted above only applies to the mechanical-style belt tensioner.

I don't recall if the a/c belt tensioner also has this feature but that might help in situations such as in post #96.

Further clarification:

The first photo below (copied from OP's post #4) is a hydraulic-style belt tensioner and requires an 8mm hex socket for de-tensioning. The 2nd photo correctly advocates using the nut built into the mechanical tensioner housing as an easier way to de-tension (vs the T50 bolt seen on the pulley itself).

goose123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #112
KaziKai

My Ride: 2001 325i
This is what I need to do next!!!
KaziKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #113
mikeetastic

My Ride: 325i/323Ci
mine is different from DIY photos?? i have a M/T 99 how do i remove the belt on mine.. blue or red?

TIA..

Last edited by mikeetastic; 01-09-2013 at 11:27 AM.
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #114
importuner

My Ride: 05 E46
Did it myself today. You turn the red arrow!

Last edited by importuner; 02-15-2013 at 10:55 PM.
importuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #115
honkifyoubonk

My Ride: E 6666
How the hell do you get the water pump locking tool to bolt onto the water pump?!? Space is so tight it is impossible unless I am missing something? been messing with it for nearly an hour
Old 03-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #116
importuner

My Ride: 05 E46
Yeah I can't remember how I did it. The space is so fricken tight! If you can get a hold of one bolt and turn your wrench really fast you might eventually can get the fan loose. It's not on tight. Unless it's been tighten by the previous person that toughed it.
importuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #117
Itzed

My Ride: 2004 325xi
I always just take the open end fan wrench and strike it few times with some quick blows of the heavy hammer in a clockwise direction and it eventually breaks loose. You just have to be careful to position the wrench so that when you hit it swiftly it doesn't hit the radiator hose end and crack the plastic.
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #118
SFTB_328i_E30

My Ride: 2000 328i
Great DIY! Always like to see a good write-up. Here's my question, I have an e46 328i made in 2000 with an M52TU engine. Car is MANUAL, however I apparently have a MECHANICAL FAN CLUTCH as opposed to the ELECTRIC FAN CLUTCH that everyone else with a MANUAL e46 seems to have. I'm puzzled, I have the MECHANICAL FAN CLUTCH removal tool on the way which sets my repairs back for this weekend. Any ideas, did someone swap the transmission in my car? Serial NO. to cross reference into RealOEM.com is "JR58309". Thanks in advance!
SFTB_328i_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #119
325ciRules?yes

My Ride: 2001 325 ci
I know this thread is a DIY for automatic cars, but I'm looking for the same kind of DIY for manual cars. I searched the forums but couldn't find it. Could a member perhaps link it in this thread or send me a link via private message?

Thanks
325ciRules?yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #120
blkonblk

My Ride: 06/2000 330i ZSP/ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ciRules?yes View Post
I know this thread is a DIY for automatic cars, but I'm looking for the same kind of DIY for manual cars. I searched the forums but couldn't find it. Could a member perhaps link it in this thread or send me a link via private message?

Thanks
i assume you have an electric fan since you ask for a manual DIY. autos have a mechanical fan, aka clutch fan. DIY is the same after removal of electric fan. see link below for removal of electric fan (begins on #21).

you may want to replace your pulleys at this time also. verify if you have manual or hydraulic tensioners. if you have manual tensioners you can always replace with hydraulic. i believe that is also mentioned in this DIY. also check out mango's post regarding pulleys for manual tensioners.

good luck.

http://www.bmw330ci.net/maintenance/completecoolant.php

Life is a journey not a destination, so enjoy the ride!

Last edited by blkonblk; 06-20-2013 at 04:07 PM.
blkonblk is offline   Reply With Quote