E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #21
gra_2472

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330CI
So a DISA valve replacement is the fix or a possible fix for that rattle? Awesome that noise is driving me crazy!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #22
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbleo View Post
Well, given the fact that taking out the transmission is not something I'm comfortable with, I went out and bought a new DISA valve and replaced it over the weekend. I'm happy to report the rattling completely went away!

Guys, the thing in that video is the ICV (Idle Control Valve) as I've recently learned:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=736943&page=3

EDIT: Incorrect.^

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 10-19-2010 at 10:07 PM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #23
Enemy

My Ride: '03 ZHP & '01 740iS
Send a message via Yahoo to Enemy
3 weeks ago I picked up an '03 330i ZHP with 135k miles. Today, it made this sound. I started her up, the chatter began, and I immediately associated it with the flywheel/transmission because my E36 M3 makes a similar chatter as it has a lightweight flywheel installed. Revving up the engine a little would quiet it some, but it came back. Pressing the clutch pedal down would also quiet it.

Am I experiencing the issue that is being discussed in this thread or is mine different?

Last edited by Enemy; 10-02-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Enemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #24
clydesdale

My Ride: e30, 2004 zhp
I would love to know what that sound is. Have you made any progress on the diagnosis? Thanks.
clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #25
Enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale View Post
I would love to know what that sound is. Have you made any progress on the diagnosis? Thanks.
Me?

No diagnosis. I'm assuming it's the same noise everyone else on here is talking about.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #26
Enemy

TTT

Still trying to figure this thing out if anyone has any further input.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #27
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
Guys, the thing in that video is the ICV (Idle Control Valve) as I've recently learned:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=736943&page=3
Sorry I was so slow to notice this but... are you talking about the video in the post you quoted? No, that's the DISA valve. The ICV looks like this:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...5%29%2C%20Each
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #28
Enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Sorry I was so slow to notice this but... are you talking about the video in the post you quoted? No, that's the DISA valve. The ICV looks like this:
Not sure if you are responding to me, but I'm trying to figure if the noise my car is making on the video embeded in post #23 is what this thread is even discussing.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #29
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemy View Post
Not sure if you are responding to me, but I'm trying to figure if the noise my car is making on the video embeded in post #23 is what this thread is even discussing.
No, not responding to you. I was responding to the post I quoted from McSpeed.

EDIT: but yes, your video sounds like the typical ZHP flywheel/transmission noise to me.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 10-19-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #30
McSpeed

Quote:
Oops You're right. Nice catch.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...79&hg=11&fg=40
#7 DISA valve
#8 Idle Control Valve

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
Old 10-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #31
Au2bahn

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP,09 HCHII
Mine shudders sometimes at idle. Im not sure if its bearing, clutch or whatever. whats the best clutch upgrade to make this go away,
Au2bahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #32
TxZHP04

The only clutch/flywheel upgrades available are lightweight units. If the noise is caused by the dual mass flywheel, then a single mass flywheel would eliminate the rattle. Unfortunately, the LW units cause the transmissions gears to rattle so there appears to be no good resolution.

ATI has started offering their "super damper" (crank damper aka harmonic balancer) for the M54. This might possibly help with the clank/rattle but, even at the current group buy price, it would still be an expensive experiment to find out. McSpeed, any thoughts on this since you have the ATI damper?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #33
McSpeed

Quote:
The only clutch/flywheel upgrades available are lightweight units. If the noise is caused by the dual mass flywheel, then a single mass flywheel would eliminate the rattle. Unfortunately, the LW units cause the transmissions gears to rattle so there appears to be no good resolution.

ATI has started offering their "super damper" (crank damper aka harmonic balancer) for the M54. This might possibly help with the clank/rattle but, even at the current group buy price, it would still be an expensive experiment to find out. McSpeed, any thoughts on this since you have the ATI damper?
I don't recall any difference idling since the damper. However I'll soon have the new flywheel, clutch and various related bits in place at which point I'll give things a listen.

I also don't recall hearing what Enemy has in that video except maybe in bursts when like feathering the clutch when backing into the garage or something. It was never sustained like that IIRC

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 10-19-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #34
TxZHP04

Quote:
I also don't recall hearing what Enemy has in that video except maybe in bursts when like feathering the clutch when backing into the garage or something. It was never sustained like that IIRC
Mine started making that noise around 40k miles. At about 90k miles when I replaced the clutch/flywheel and crank damper with new stock pieces, it went away for a while until something broke in good and then it started doing it again although not nearly as bad. Didn't/doesn't do it all the time and when it does a quick blip of the throttle clears it up (as does disengaging the clutch).
Old 10-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #35
Enemy

Quote:
Mine started making that noise around 40k miles. Didn't/doesn't do it all the time and when it does a quick blip of the throttle clears it up (as does disengaging the clutch).
It's the same for me. It doesn't always happen. Maybe once or twice a month and when it does happen, hitting the throttle shuts it up, but it comes back until I press down the clutch and let it go.

So strange.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #36
gra_2472

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330CI
has any one solved this problem yet? i previously had an organic clutch kit from uuc installed and it still makes that rattle noise at low speeds and reversing. it feels like it shudders while reversing, also the idle is erratic at start up. idle jumps up to around 2500 rpm then back down the jumps between 1250-2000 rpm before settling around 1000 rpm. i pulled off the disa valve and its a new model that isn't broken. help please! the noise and lack of power power are driving me crazy!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #37
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by gra_2472 View Post
has any one solved this problem yet? i previously had an organic clutch kit from uuc installed and it still makes that rattle noise at low speeds and reversing. it feels like it shudders while reversing, also the idle is erratic at start up. idle jumps up to around 2500 rpm then back down the jumps between 1250-2000 rpm before settling around 1000 rpm. i pulled off the disa valve and its a new model that isn't broken. help please! the noise and lack of power power are driving me crazy!
The rattle isn't a "problem" per se and your idle issues and lack of power are completely unrelated to the noise. Also keep in mind that if you have UUC's lightweight flywheel, it will cause transmission gear rattle. This is a well known side effect of LW flywheels and some people notice some improvement by running the transmission fluid combination recommended by UUC.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #38
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
In general, if the noise disapeers when you depress the clutch, it is definitely the throwout bearing.

To those that replaced theri clutch, did you replace the throw out bearing. Did you replace it with an OEM throw out bearing?
Old 10-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #39
McSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamine View Post
In general, if the noise disapeers when you depress the clutch, it is definitely the throwout bearing.

To those that replaced theri clutch, did you replace the throw out bearing. Did you replace it with an OEM throw out bearing?
Good question.
Note that cars from 03/2003 on have a throwout bearing face that pivots - I wonder if that difference is related to the noise issue that some people are experiencing.

Also, my guide tube has some pretty noticeable wear on it - I'm gonna replace it. The guide tube is what the throwout bearing sits on so I wonder if its related to anything noise-wise. The new throwout bearing going in is a fixed-face Sachs unit that comes with the UUC performance organic clutch.

Quote:
I noticed mine chattered when I first got it at 35K - I'd hear it while feathering it back into the garage and it was kind of loud. I haven't noticed it lately but I don't usually drive with the windows down. Soon I'll be upgrading my clutch with a sprung hub one and replacing my flywheel. Since a sprung hub clutch is supposed to minimize chatter when used with a single mass flywheel, and a dual mass flywheel is supposed to minimize chatter with a solid disc clutch, imagine them together: I'm figuring UUC Performance Organic + stock flywheel = complete silence. I'm waiting on some parts but I should be able to confirm within a few weeks.
Turns out UUC sent me a solid hub clutch. I called them and they said mixing a sprung hub clutch and dual mass flywheel results in weird spring-force oscillation issues.

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 10-25-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:13 AM   #40
rizzo2008

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP
Uggh did you guys notice it early on and did it progressively get worse or did it just sort of appear one day? I have noticed something similar for 10,000+ miles now but it was so slight and hard to notice that I have never given it much thought till now.
rizzo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote