E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
tylerc

My Ride: 330ci
help with alternator, can't find correct alternator

hey guys, I have an 04 330ci zhp auto and had my alternator go out on it

I got a new one from the parts store which had the right holes to bolt up to the engine (well two out of the three, one was missing) however it had the cover for 'ram air cooling' on the alternator which the stock one did not. the stock one also had only one wire going to the alternator and the replacement had two wires that connected to the voltage regulator with a different plug that the parts store gave me out of their testing bin. It worked fine when the two wires were bridged (2+ months) however tonight the car died on the interstate and I couldn't get the alt to work again playing with the wires.

so my question is, where do I get the correct 1 wire alternator (every parts store i check has the same connector as the first one i got, not the one that came with the car) or perhaps even just the voltage regulator. I need this stock reliable as it is my work car.

and second, why is my alternator different then 3 parts stores say it should be stock? zhp? auto? what makes a difference?
tylerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
initialandrew

My Ride: BMW 330i ZHP w/ Navi
I am having this same issue. My car is a 2003 ZHP and the alternator has a different plug compared to the ones from the various parts stores. It seems the only way to get the correct part is to order it. Part # 12317519620. This really sucks as I have school starting very soon.
initialandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Check your VIN and that should direct you to the correct one. The stealership can tell you the correct part # along with www.realoem.com

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
initialandrew

I am wondering if that part numberr is actually correct now. It comes up in the list as the only Bosch alternator, but it does seem that we are in the minority on what our plug looks like. I'll investigate further.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
initialandrew

OK after inspecting my alternator and looking at the options for others, I have figured out a few things. The alternator is the same 120V Bosch model that is used on the other e46s equiped with Bosch's. The difference is the voltage regulator that ours has is different. It has the same type of plus that the 04 530i's have, but that alternator is a 150V so that can't the correct part number. I'm not sure about how to order this part and will be dropping my alternator off at a mechanic tomorrow. I will keep everyone informed as to what is going on. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
tylerc

I ordered a bosche alternator, should be in tomorrow, I will have to bring these numbers into the part store tom to see what I can find or if perhaps I stumbled on the correct one, thanks for the info and I will keep people updated on my progress as well

would there be any harm in just running the 530 alternator?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
ari00

My Ride: 04 330ci
I think us with the '04s and up got the shaft. I ended up getting one from a local parts store that my friend got me. It was a Bosch, but according to him (and the box) it's for an Australian M3. Go figure. In any case, we altered one of the plugs (the receptacle didn't match with the plug) and things are fine now. Car started and it's been probably 6 months with no issues. I anybody needs the part #, please PM me and I can try to get it tomorrow. and email back tomorrow night.

Ari
ari00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
tylerc

how did you modify the plug and specifically is there one or two wires connected to the alternator from that plug?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #9
initialandrew

The part number I gave before should be correct. It is a Bosch 120V unit. You can see the correct plug here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...04&hg=12&fg=22

That part number is listed under a few model years for the e46, but is the only option for the z4 showing the plug. Anyway, enjoy because that one should be correct. Also if you order an 03 z4 3.0 model from an auto parts store it should be correct as well. Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
hardybob

My Ride: 03 ZHP Sedan
as usual the forum is great for into. i've been searching for the correct voltage regulator for my 03 zhp which has the oval plug. every place that sells them seems to only list the rectangle plug version. thanks for the help. i'll see if i can find the right one now.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #11
Alexandr

My Ride: 03 330i ZHP Imolarot
@ initialandrew

I bought the alternator you're referring to from Autozone, and it fits fine.... except for one important thing - the lower left through-bolt (existing) doesn't tighten all the way anymore because the threaded insert in the rear mount of the alternator has more thread length than that of the old alternator.

In the picture, I screwed the bolt all the way in, but backed it up a few turns. Notice how far the bolt head sticks out the front of the alternator and how little thread I have left at the back.

I wish I had the old alternator to verify this, but I can't think of any other explanation why the threads bottom out before the bolts tightens all the way. Anyone else have this problem? I'll research the 03 Z4 3.0 mounting and see if the bolt has more thread. I really don't want to go looking for yet another alternator and wait a week for it to come in.

EDIT - I had the bolt for the alternator mount and the idler pulley switched and that's why the shaft length was not working. I'll be the first to call myself a dipshit. *Dipshit* Hope I didn't cause any confusion for anyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new alt.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	385634  

Last edited by Alexandr; 12-08-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: My bad.
Alexandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
I had the same problem with my 04 325ci. After finally getting the correct alternator from the dealer (2 hours away) I was told it was a limited run style that was used only for a short time (months of production if I recall).

Good luck
Old 12-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
al0513

My Ride: 04 Silver Gray 330CI
can anyone else verify that it is the correct voltage regulator?
al0513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Bert336

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
ok so people like us with the oval 120amp alternator we need to go in and ask for a 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 with 120amp Alternator instead of a 2003 BMW 330i? Just need to reassure this as i dont have extra additional days to keep ordering multiple alternators

edit:
Looking at all the images on the following sites, it looks identical to the one off my car. Here are the part numbers. I will order mine probably from Advance or Napa

2003 BMW Z4 3.0

NAPA Autoparts
Part Number: BSH AL0816X

Advance Autoparts
Part No. 12440

Autozone
Part Number: 13986

Last edited by Bert336; 01-05-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Bert336 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, broken, connector, cooling, zhp