E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
radarcontact

My Ride: 2006 330CiC/ZHP
Question Vert vs. sedan vs. coupe curb weight?

I was wondering, and I'm sure I could find it if I looked long enough, but whats the difference in curb weight between the three body styles? Preferably in the 2005 year range (in ZHP form?) as it is the closest to mine for comparison...

Thanks!
radarcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
vert and sedan difference is 341lbs.

coupes and sedans are listed the same in the manual im pretty sure. not sure which model i compared though. probably not enough difference to matter.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Go to bmwusa, you should be able to download the owners manual/brochure it says it in there
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
radarcontact

My Ride: 2006 330CiC/ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
vert and sedan difference is 341lbs.

coupes and sedans are listed the same in the manual im pretty sure. not sure which model i compared though. probably not enough difference to matter.
Thanks!
Sooooo, how much of a difference does 341 make in real life speed? A lot? Would my ZHP vert = non-ZHP sedan?
(just curious)
radarcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #5
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarcontact View Post
Thanks!
Sooooo, how much of a difference does 341 make in real life speed? A lot? Would my ZHP vert = non-ZHP sedan?
(just curious)
In a straight line, it'd probably even (weight is a huge factor in straight line performance though but since the ZHP has a shorter diff and a more usable powerband thanks to the cams+6800 redline that makes up for a lot of lag), but in the corners yes the sedan would come out on top due to the lower curb weight. Think about it as the difference between your car with 1 person in it vs your car with three people in it.

Last edited by Acarder; 08-12-2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: lets just forget the coupe for this post then
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:39 AM   #6
skipole

My Ride: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acarder View Post
In a straight line, it'd probably even (weight is a huge factor in straight line performance though but since the ZHP has a shorter diff and a more usable powerband thanks to the cams+6800 redline that makes up for a lot of lag), but in the corners yes the sedan would come out on top. The sedan is the most rigid bodyshell, a sedan w/o folding seats is almost twice as rigid as a coupe, so take a guess at how less rigid a 'vert is than a coupe. Think about it as the difference between your car with 1 person in it vs your car with three people in it.
I have read it is more rigid, but TWICE as rigid? That seems pretty far fetched, do you have a source?

Also, rigidity does not necessarily equate directly to handling. There are so many other factors that come into play. The weight difference will be far more detrimental to your handling and straightline performance than chassis rigidity will, imo.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #7
secono330ci

Quote:
In a straight line, it'd probably even (weight is a huge factor in straight line performance though but since the ZHP has a shorter diff and a more usable powerband thanks to the cams+6800 redline that makes up for a lot of lag), but in the corners yes the sedan would come out on top. The sedan is the most rigid bodyshell, a sedan w/o folding seats is almost twice as rigid as a coupe, so take a guess at how less rigid a 'vert is than a coupe. Think about it as the difference between your car with 1 person in it vs your car with three people in it.
OMG here we go again with the sedan rigidity sh!t
Old 08-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #8
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Way off saying it's almost 2x as rigid. Let's not start these rumors.
BMW E46 Sedan (w/o folding seats) 18,000 Nm/deg
BMW E46 Coupe (w/folding seats) 12,500 Nm/deg

And actually the WAGON has the most rigid body shell comapring them with same folding seats.
BMW E46 Wagon (w/folding seats) 14,000 Nm/deg
BMW E46 Sedan (w/folding seats) 13,000 Nm/deg
BMW E46 Convertible ------------10,500 Nm/deg

Let us not forget Convertibles have a much lower center of gravity and weight not at the top with windows down and top stowed. But yes, weight loss is like gainning Hp. Hp to Weight is important.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #9
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipole View Post
I have read it is more rigid, but TWICE as rigid? That seems pretty far fetched, do you have a source?

Also, rigidity does not necessarily equate directly to handling. There are so many other factors that come into play. The weight difference will be far more detrimental to your handling and straightline performance than chassis rigidity will, imo.
Rumor fixed and ended.
True, rigidity on a street car hardly equates directly to handling outcome. Tires alone can change the outcome of a slalom test even with a car with a rollcage.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:49 AM   #10
Acarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipole View Post

It doesn't necessarily when you have a closed body shell, but when you have an open one its more detrimental to handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secono330ci View Post
OMG here we go again with the sedan rigidity sh!t
No its not this sh!t, this thread isn't about your precious coupe, i'm talking about convertibles , how about you give him some information or go do something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Way off saying it's almost 2x as rigid. Let's not start these rumors.
BMW E46 Sedan (w/o folding seats) 18,000 Nm/deg

And actually the WAGON has the most rigid body shell comapring them with same folding seats.
BMW E46 Wagon (w/folding seats) 14,000 Nm/deg
BMW E46 Sedan (w/folding seats) 13,000 Nm/deg
BMW E46 Convertible ------------10,500 Nm/deg

Let us not forget Convertibles have a much lower center of gravity and weight not at the top with windows down and top stowed. But yes, weight loss is like gainning Hp. Hp to Weight is important.
Thats not way off, more like a third then. I wasn't going for exact figures anyway, sorry about that children Once again though, I wasn't trying to start stuff between sedans and coupes(that seems to be all anyone cares about though), this is about convertibles. I believe the figures as well, but where are you getting them from?

Last edited by Acarder; 08-12-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:02 AM   #11
Alex323Ci

Quote:
..The sedan is the most rigid bodyshell, a sedan w/o folding seats is almost twice as rigid as a coupe, so take a guess at how less rigid a 'vert is than a coupe..
Quote:
No its not this sh!t, i'm not talking about your precious coupe, i'm talking about convertibles

Thats not way off, more like a third then. Sorry about that children Once again though, I wasn't trying to start stuff between sedans and coupes, this is about convertibles.
Nah, you have good info you gave the OP, but not absolute in the way it reads.
Btw you did post, "twice as much as Coupe". Then say compare that to the convertible. So your info wasn't really given Only comparing the sedan to the convertible
Old 08-12-2009, 03:05 AM   #12
Acarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Nah, you have good info you gave the OP, but not absolute in the way it reads.
Btw you did post, "twice as much as Coupe". Then say compare that to the convertible. So your info wasn't really given Only comparing the sedan to the convertible
I noticed that oh well, im just hassling him really.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:10 AM   #13
Alex323Ci

To OP, sorry I got in your thread and don't know the answer about exact curb weights. Convertibles are always the heavier of the three with like options. Cabrios also get a little better ratio for gearing of their differentials to make up for the weight, but it only helps a little.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:50 AM   #14
mkodama

You can find the 2005 coupe weights in here: http://www.bmwusa.com/pdf_25b3f8bc-8...142e572b2.arox
2005 convertible weights in here: http://www.bmwusa.com/pdf_a403d480-5...89d3cf34c.arox
and 2005 sedan weights in here: http://www.bmwusa.com/pdf_d29a3525-6...7cbe283b9.arox

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:13 AM   #15
Safar

My Ride: comes with blow
Quote:
Thats not way off, more like a third then. I wasn't going for exact figures anyway, sorry about that children
If HR were to ring up and tell you "we're sorry, we've accidentally subtracted 50% of your salary in taxes instead of 30%", you'd say that's way off
1987 Suzuki VS1400
1996 Suzuki LS650 Sold
1984 Kawasaki 305CSR RIP

Went from 305cc > 650cc > 1400cc > 2800cc
No prizes for guessing what my next engine will be...

Safar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
secono330ci

Quote:
...how about you give him some information or go do something else...
...I wasn't going for exact figures anyway
It's not nice giving someone false info
Old 08-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #17
samandy121
Banned

My Ride: BMW E36
Yeah! It is not good to give a false info because people ask for help when they have faith on anyone. And no one should break that.
samandy121 is offline   Reply With Quote