E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
richyboycaldo

My Ride: Mx5 300zx 240z 330c
Is my camshaft wrong?

Hello guys, After a really bad overheating I had toreplaced my exhaust camshaft and the warped head. Now that I bought new parts and fix the engine. The car gives only 1 code which is P1397. Most of the member here tell me is the Camshaft sensor. I replaced it with a new one (about 100 bucks) and I still get the same code after 1 or 2 days. Is it possible that my camshaft was installed wrong? or do they need some type of calibration tool that maybe my mechanic didn't have? Or maybe bad luck and I got a bad CSP? thanks guys

Last edited by richyboycaldo; 08-13-2009 at 03:43 AM.
richyboycaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:47 AM   #2
mkodama

You'd probably be getting a lot more and different errors if the camshaft was installed wrong, but still just a guess. I'm not totally sure.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:53 AM   #3
richyboycaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
You'd probably be getting a lot more and different errors if the camshaft was installed wrong, but still just a guess. I'm not totally sure.
I though so, the idle seem fine and smooth, but I lack power. I manage to find these part from TMS. pei330ci (The guy that is building the e46 for Drag/Race/track) used it to install his Schrick cams. He said that it was very difficult to install the camshaft by eye, but I don't know if that applies for OEMs

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TMI9910454
Old 08-13-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
BodyMan

My Ride: 2002 325i
The cam,cams could be out of time.COULD
BodyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
richyboycaldo

What are the symptoms if it is out of time?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
he needs a bunch of special tools to probably line up the cams. there is a very good chance the engine is not timed correctly

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
Edirty M3

My Ride: ashley
you can take the valve cover off and spin the motor to tdc and check the timing marks
Edirty M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Yup, I'd say your camshaft isn't installed right.

Stuart can probably give a better insight as he's done this more than once hehe

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #9
richyboycaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrvat View Post
Yup, I'd say your camshaft isn't installed right.

Stuart can probably give a better insight as he's done this more than once hehe
Who is Stuart?
But wouldn't I get more codes if the timing is wrong? P1367 is the only code I have
Old 08-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
Lionelski

My Ride: 325CIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by richyboycaldo View Post
Hello guys, After a really bad overheating I had toreplaced my exhaust camshaft and the warped head. Now that I bought new parts and fix the engine. The car gives only 1 code which is P1397. Most of the member here tell me is the Camshaft sensor. I replaced it with a new one (about 100 bucks) and I still get the same code after 1 or 2 days. Is it possible that my camshaft was installed wrong? or do they need some type of calibration tool that maybe my mechanic didn't have? Or maybe bad luck and I got a bad CSP? thanks guys
I dunno, but it seems to me that if it were a mechanical problem, a new sensor would not have worked for 1-2 days.
I would think that the code would have come up immediatly, and that you would feel a problem with the way the car is running, if there was a problem with the camshaft.

Is there anyway to test a CSP?

Keep us updated - very interesting

Sport Package, Premium Package
Racing Dynamics Strut Tower Brace
Conforti Shark Injector, Conforti CAI
Interior: Leather, Euro Tray, M3 Dead Pedal
Lionelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #11
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Quote:
Who is Stuart?
But wouldn't I get more codes if the timing is wrong? P1367 is the only code I have
Look for user with S/N "330i ZHP"

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
richyboycaldo

I replaced my seals, and the code is still there, is there something else that can trigger it. I already replaced 2 CPS. The engine idles like new, can it be the harness? or what el can it be?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #13
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
i replaced my seals, and the code is still there, is there something else that can trigger it. I already replaced 2 cps. The engine idles like new, can it be the harness? Or what el can it be?
its not timed right

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #14
richyboycaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
its not timed right
I talked to my mech about the timing, he told that he was 100% sure that the timing was OK, I get an average of 29/30 mpg on highway (auto/vert). He told me that if by any reason the cams would be off timing, the engine would feel very bad, and my engine would not feel smooth at all along with more codes besides the CPS fault (P1397). Any other ideas? can other parts of the VANOS become damage with my overheating? maybe wiring harness?

Last edited by richyboycaldo; 10-08-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #15
richyboycaldo

Now I am thinking of buying a ZHP cams and drvanos VANOS to see if it works
Old 10-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #16
Rajaie

My Ride: 528i 06/00
I would expect the problem to be failed vanos seals. I get reports of this all the time. When the engine overheats the vanos piston seal O-rings get badly damaged.
I presume from your post you replaced the vanos seals with the Beisan seals kit.
If you've already done this, try removing the vanos exhaust solenoid and solenoid piston underneath it. You'll need a 32mm deep socket. Spray clean the solenoid piston and the cavity it lives in. Check to see if the solenoid piston is warped. When in the cavity the piston should move freely. It should press in and spring back when released.

Be sure to use OEM CPS sensors. Aftermarket CPS sensors don't' work. Look for a BMW logo on the sensor.
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #17
richyboycaldo

I replace hte seals (Baisan) and pistons the Baisan sells that are suppose to eliminate the VANOS rattle. My CPS was brane new from bavauto the bran is Beiltein (100 bucks) (or something like it) and I later replaced it with a used OEM CPS. Next paycheck I'll buy a new OEM CPS but I really doubt it will work.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #18
supratter

My Ride: 2001 330i
verify that your mechanic used the cam aligning tool when he put everything back, I had to buy the tool when I did mine and it's been a week now and no codes or anything, I did the vanos seals too BTW
supratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #19
richyboycaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratter View Post
verify that your mechanic used the cam aligning tool when he put everything back, I had to buy the tool when I did mine and it's been a week now and no codes or anything, I did the vanos seals too BTW
But isnt the aligning tool onyl supposed to be used on aftermarket camshafts, the OEM cams already have the Helix that just needs to be matched right? or were can I buy it to give it to him? He has some alignment tools for camshaft however they are not BMW specific (do they need to be). I mean the car pulls strong and idle really good, wouldnt a bad alignment cause a lot more symptoms?. I am running out of options

this is the only tool I have seen:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TMI9910454

Last edited by richyboycaldo; 10-08-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #20
supratter

My Ride: 2001 330i
I'm not sure if it will give you other symptoms but you do need the aligning tool and the camshaft locking tool to time the cams correctly, even on stock cams

http://www.toolss.com/wbstore/main.a...-MASTER&CTMP=1

116150 & 113240 are the tools needed to time everything correct, if he has several aligning tools then he more than likely will have these

does he specializes on german cars, or is he a mechanic that works on all types of cars?
supratter is offline   Reply With Quote