E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
Steel_xi

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Sway Bars for xi

I was originally gonna get some Hotchkis sway bars front and rear, but I read a bit on here and it sounds like those won't fit on xi's, nor will many other sway bars. So could someone please give me a list of sway bars available for xi's, because it doesn't seem to say on the sites of sellers, and it's not very clear when searching around.

Thanks
Steel_xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Motorglobin

My Ride: 2004 330xi
i think there was a thread about this but i can't seem to find it again. maybe with a bit more digging you might be able to come across it. anyhow, i bookmarked a set of swaybars that were linked in the thread: http://www.racingdynamics.com/Locali...tm#Stabilizers.

expensive, but i guess the options are thin. subscribed.

Motorglobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Steel_xi

Ok so Racing Dynamics seems to be the only company that makes a front sway bar for xi's, and they make a rear sway bar specifically for xi's. Is there any benefit in buying the racing dynamics rear sway bar, because the Hotchkis rear sway bar is thicker and I was under the impression that for the most part thicker = better.

And if I did decide to get a Hotchkis rear sway would it be bad if I then got a Racing Dynamics front sway bar, or is a sway bar a sway bar and it doesn't matter if I mix and match brands?
Steel_xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Cool33

My Ride: Modded E46 330xi
Remember that OEM sway bars on xi are already thicker than on i/Ci models...
Cool33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Kubica

H&R makes sway bars for the xi, I believe.

I think most people only upgrade the rear sway on an xi, though.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
Xi sway bars: Front 23.5mm and rear are 20mm
H&R springs doesn't have a application for us Xi guys.
Someone here on the forum has put UUC sways bars on his Xi successfully. I'm trying to find how he manage to do this.

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|

Last edited by Bimmer Dude Xi; 08-24-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Kubica

^^From what i heard UUC bars are no good. They clunk. I guarantee H&R bars will fit our cars. You may have to drill some extra holes though.

Let's bring up this topic once more: I don't think you want a stiffer bar up front on an xi?!!
Old 08-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
^^From what i heard UUC bars are no good. They clunk. I guarantee H&R bars will fit our cars. You may have to drill some extra holes though.

Let's bring up this topic once more: I don't think you want a stiffer bar up front on an xi?!!
I never looked up on the UUC sways but the guy im speaking to mentioned that they don't clunk.

I'm wondering Xi sways bars and regular RWD sways bars are shaped the same.

I'm guessing that's why Dinan only offer a rear sway bar upgrade.

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Old 08-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
Motorglobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi View Post
I never looked up on the UUC sways but the guy im speaking to mentioned that they don't clunk.

I'm wondering Xi sways bars and regular RWD sways bars are shaped the same.

I'm guessing that's why Dinan only offer a rear sway bar upgrade.
do you know of any downsides to stiffening the rear swaybar while leaving the other stock?

Old 08-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kejriwalv View Post
do you know of any downsides to stiffening the rear swaybar while leaving the other stock?
i have no clue, but im thinking of gettin used sets name brand sways and just upgrade the rear.

dinan, h&r and eibach is 21mm
hotchkis is 25.4mm
uuc 23.8mm
racing dynamic is 24mm

supposedly Racing Dynamic makes a front n rear sway bar kit for xi's

Old 08-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
Motorglobin

Quote:
i have no clue, but im thinking of gettin used sets name brand sways and just upgrade the rear.

dinan, h&r and eibach is 21mm
hotchkis is 25.4mm
uuc 23.8mm
racing dynamic is 24mm

supposedly Racing Dynamic makes a front n rear sway bar kit for xi's
check the link that i posted above, im assuming those are the ones you're talking about? i couldn't find those anywhere though.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:15 AM   #12
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kejriwalv View Post
check the link that i posted above, im assuming those are the ones you're talking about? i couldn't find those anywhere though.
I tried the link, copy the part number. Racing Dynamics has another website (seems like that one is their main website). When I pasted that part number, a sway bar kit came up from the e46 m3. I'm gonna give them a call ask them about this. Hopefully they do have a kit for us, if so, I'll ask about a group buy.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #13
Motorglobin

Quote:
I tried the link, copy the part number. Racing Dynamics has another website (seems like that one is their main website). When I pasted that part number, a sway bar kit came up from the e46 m3. I'm gonna give them a call ask them about this. Hopefully they do have a kit for us, if so, I'll ask about a group buy.
i would be very interested, keep us updated! thanks.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
Bimmer Dude Xi

So here the update, I called and spoke to the company (RD Sport) on the link that was provided on the second post.
The good news, they have a sway bar kit for the Xi's, front is 27mm and the rear is 24mm. It seems like the rear bar has three holes for adjustments not two.

Bad news, they are completely sold out and won't have any until October. The list price is around 425.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #15
M A

My Ride: '04 525i (White)
Send a message via AIM to M A Send a message via MSN to M A
So is this thread dead? Or can we work on a group buy that is a month away?

'01 325xi Gone, but not forgotten...
'04 525i My new sexy....
M A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #16
Kubica

I'm down for a group buy on a rear sway bar.

We need to figure out definitively if this fits an xi or not:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ODUCT_ID=71484

Someone should call Turner . . . but I'm pretty sure xi's and i's use the same rear bar.

Last edited by Kubica; 08-26-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #17
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A View Post
So is this thread dead? Or can we work on a group buy that is a month away?
I dont consider this thread is dead. If we want to work on a group buy, we need a quite a few xi owners to sign up.
Last we tried for a groupbuy, it did not work out at all, but we can try for a rear bar or maybe the full kit. I'm willing for the full kit.

Quote:
I'm down for a group buy on a rear sway bar.

We need to figure out definitively if this fits an xi or not:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ODUCT_ID=71484

Someone should call Turner . . . but I'm pretty sure xi's and i's use the same rear bar.
You can call up and find out from Tuner

Old 08-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #18
Kubica

Quote:
I dont consider this thread is dead. If we want to work on a group buy, we need a quite a few xi owners to sign up.
Last we tried for a groupbuy, it did not work out at all, but we can try for a rear bar or maybe the full kit. I'm willing for the full kit.

You can call up and find out from Tuner
I can't my mech works there and I felt really stupid the last time i called and they gave him the phone.

One more time: i don't think we want thicker front swaybars on an xi!
Old 08-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #19
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
I can't my mech works there and I felt really stupid the last time i called and they gave him the phone.

One more time: i don't think we want thicker front swaybars on an xi!
I feel asking him that question is a legit question. I'm sure he probably know that there aren't to many options for Xi owners. So I feel its a reasonable.

What would be the downfall of a thicker front sway bar? Too much understeer?

Old 08-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #20
Motorglobin

Quote:
What would be the downfall of a thicker front sway bar? Too much understeer?
Seems very plausible to have some increased understeer but I don't know enough about the physics of cars to say anything else.

Either way, with the group buy we should definitely start a new thread, I think that would draw more attention. Good stuff guys, this was a much needed thread.