E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 05:32 AM   #41
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon1171 View Post
This is for the Front/Rear adjustable sways for the e46 XI? Or just the adjustable rear?
Front and rear

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #42
Gryphon1171

My Ride: ZHP Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi View Post
Front and rear
Link please to the product.
Gryphon1171 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #43
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekaneck View Post
Upgrading the rear bar will decrease understeer & body roll. Both very good things for XI's. Of course there is a limit on how big of a bar to get - too big and your rear inside tire will come off the ground in a very hard corner, making it quite difficult to accelerate out of that corner.
correct. Also - I have the Dinan rear sway and have no complaints about it whatsoever.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #44
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon1171 View Post
Link please to the product.
http://www.racingdynamics.com/Locali...tm#Stabilizers

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Old 09-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #45
Bimmer Dude Xi

I was checking realoem.com, on there the front sway bar are the same shape. Is this true? Can anyone confirm this?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #46
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
You can't trust realoem's diagrams to be accurate.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #47
Nachos23

My Ride: 2004 330Xi
Send a message via MSN to Nachos23
I'm considering the TMS sway bars to reduce understeer that seems to have been introduced when lowering my car with Bilstein sport stuts and shocks and H&R sport springs.... Also using a ACS Strut brace in front (no brace in rear).... Seems to be considerable understeer. was looking to upgrade sway bars (front and rear) to re-balance car. Could just also be that I'm pushing the car harder with the upgrades..... LOL..... Thought/suggestions? Not running camber kits, so camber is -2.5........
Nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #48
ABOC

My Ride: 330xi,Blazer,K100RS
Send a message via Skype™ to ABOC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_xi View Post
Ok so Racing Dynamics seems to be the only company that makes a front sway bar for xi's, and they make a rear sway bar specifically for xi's. Is there any benefit in buying the racing dynamics rear sway bar, because the Hotchkis rear sway bar is thicker and I was under the impression that for the most part thicker = better.

And if I did decide to get a Hotchkis rear sway would it be bad if I then got a Racing Dynamics front sway bar, or is a sway bar a sway bar and it doesn't matter if I mix and match brands?
Bavarian Autosport sells sway bars for the xi as well.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #49
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
just go with the rear!..front wil be alot of oversteer
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #50
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOC View Post
Post a link.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #51
SILVRRONIN

I am looking into the Xi rear swaybar.. if I hear anything good I wil pass it along... nothing personal but i dont talk about doing somthing and wait.. I follow through on it. Appreciate all the reasearch from everyone on the topic!
Old 03-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #52
SILVRRONIN

swaybars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOC View Post
I went to their web..nothing listed for xi..no swaybars..only swaybar bushings WTH?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #53
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
don't ever get anything bavarian auto suspension related from them... most expensive lesson for me owning my car. their business practice is that they simply buy their products from some random german company who designed these components for our car "albeit" never fully tuned, tested, or R&D them for practicality, performance, or consistency. I went through a nightmare trying to get my bavauto springs and removal costs reimbursed to me way back in 2003 when I was new to the e46 and XI scene. Although they fit, their springs sit higher than stock in the front and an inch lower in the rear too. their reps were baffled and they have no clue about the XI platform and simply purchased the springs from the manufacturer based on their word.

Last edited by kaboo0m; 03-10-2011 at 04:51 PM.
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #54
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVRRONIN View Post
I am looking into the Xi rear swaybar.. if I hear anything good I wil pass it along... nothing personal but i dont talk about doing somthing and wait.. I follow through on it. Appreciate all the reasearch from everyone on the topic!
The rear sway bars between the rwd models are interchangeable so any sway bar for a rwd car would fit. Although you really want to do you research, the last thing you want is to want to install a system using a range of components only to find out they are not acting in coherence with each other. I was about to purchase both Dinan front and rear sways a year ago and convert my car to a signature 2 dinan 3 before I discovered the joys of e30s and their money pit nature (currently being dinaned up as well). you can get pretty sweet deals from them from time to time but I believe they are moving away from the e46 platform rendering all their chassis products into a unicorn

Last edited by kaboo0m; 03-10-2011 at 04:53 PM.
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #55
SILVRRONIN

thanks for the info.. I will do more pricing..my buddy focalX has hotchkis and swears by them, I think turner motorsport and uuc. Wil pass along any info...ok lets get this standard...front stock swaybars area 27mm and rear are 21mm...I wil order 21mm rear or 22mm with powerflex bushings and new lemfroeder swaybar links for rear and new for front..NO NEW SWAYBAR for front only links and bushings..
Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #56
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
For the record, I think you should buy the H&R rear bar from Turner for $209. It fits perfectly, has 3 holes per side (so 5 different settings), and comes with very nice bushings that are similar to powerflex bushings, but don't need to be lubed. It doesn't clunk like the UUC bars. I don't have experience with other rear bars, but it shouldn't make much of a difference what brand the bar is. They all do basically the same thing- same design as oem, just stiffer. You will need new rear sway bar links, most likely. I'd leave the rear links attached to the oem bar, just in case you need to reinstall it or sell it.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-26...r-for-e46.aspx
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #57
quattrokiller

My Ride: E46-330xi, F11, E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi View Post

Talked to them last fall. Never went into production.

Bilstein sprint, KN induction, M-sport ventilated disc, Ferrodo brake-pads, Eisenmann exhaust. BBS-CH. ESS stage 1 upcoming.
quattrokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #58
SILVRRONIN

swaybars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
For the record, I think you should buy the H&R rear bar from Turner for $209. It fits perfectly, has 3 holes per side (so 5 different settings), and comes with very nice bushings that are similar to powerflex bushings, but don't need to be lubed. It doesn't clunk like the UUC bars. I don't have experience with other rear bars, but it shouldn't make much of a difference what brand the bar is. They all do basically the same thing- same design as oem, just stiffer. You will need new rear sway bar links, most likely. I'd leave the rear links attached to the oem bar, just in case you need to reinstall it or sell it.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-26...r-for-e46.aspx
Kubica!
Thats the ones I was looking at..I shopped online for over three hours. Turner has the best deal..they are very reliable too. I just ordered new swaybar links from pelican..heres the next challenge...ok.. The diagram on pelican calls for 23.5mm for front of my XIT and the rear are 20mm....what size should I get? i want the stability for my vehicles rearend( lol-its ass!) but how much I dont want to over do it. they offer 21 mm, 22mm, 23mm ...
Old 03-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #59
SILVRRONIN

swaybars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrokiller View Post
Talked to them last fall. Never went into production.
fuk em....
Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #60
Chris911SC

My Ride: '04 330xi 6sp Sport
I've got the H&R rear bar set to medium. It helped dial out some understeer on my otherwise stock suspension with stock wheels/tires. Bought mine from Turner. Install was a bit tricky without a lift (since you've got to meander that bar around the axles and exhaust) but didnt take much more than an hour with some basic hand tools.

I wouldn't recommend a front bar unless you're going to set that one softer than the stock rate.
Chris911SC is offline   Reply With Quote