E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #61
Tele

My Ride: E46 330XIT MTech II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris911SC View Post
I've got the H&R rear bar set to medium. It helped dial out some understeer on my otherwise stock suspension with stock wheels/tires. Bought mine from Turner. Install was a bit tricky without a lift (since you've got to meander that bar around the axles and exhaust) but didnt take much more than an hour with some basic hand tools.

I wouldn't recommend a front bar unless you're going to set that one softer than the stock rate.
My H&R rear sway bar is on it's way! Along with the TMS adjustable end links...!

Any suggestions for setup?
Do I us the length of the OEM end links to measure the TMS end links, and use the middle hole in the sway bar?

And if I want more over-steer, which hole should I use?
Tele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #62
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
sway bars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboo0m View Post
The rear sway bars between the rwd models are interchangeable so any sway bar for a rwd car would fit. Although you really want to do you research, the last thing you want is to want to install a system using a range of components only to find out they are not acting in coherence with each other. I was about to purchase both Dinan front and rear sways a year ago and convert my car to a signature 2 dinan 3 before I discovered the joys of e30s and their money pit nature (currently being dinaned up as well). you can get pretty sweet deals from them from time to time but I believe they are moving away from the e46 platform rendering all their chassis products into a unicorn

ok! i did some research and just switched out my swaybar links in the front and the rear. Al swaybars for the XI might be the same for RWD but not my touring. The rear swaybarlinks have a small bushing that gets pushed over the end of my stock swaybar-there are no holes like in the other modified versions. So......on a touring the swaybar setup is different, it is not possible to use a RWD swaybar on my type of vehicle-think I am just going to settle with powerflex bushings in the front and rear and leave stock swaybars on..i have no choice...
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #63
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVRRONIN View Post
ok! i did some research and just switched out my swaybar links in the front and the rear. Al swaybars for the XI might be the same for RWD but not my touring. The rear swaybarlinks have a small bushing that gets pushed over the end of my stock swaybar-there are no holes like in the other modified versions. So......on a touring the swaybar setup is different, it is not possible to use a RWD swaybar on my type of vehicle-think I am just going to settle with powerflex bushings in the front and rear and leave stock swaybars on..i have no choice...
I'm pretty sure the rear bar will work on a touring:

http://realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=33556751267

Same bar is used on all xi's. Rear links are the same too.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #64
Tele

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVRRONIN View Post
Read my post at the top of the f page...

Last edited by Tele; 04-18-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #65
ebiz

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Just chiming in. I'm not sure what the current state of the art is, but back when I was in the market, the only company with a full set of sways for the XI was STILL racing dynamics. I ended up going with the UUC rear sway, which actually was more of a pain to install than I expected and the links didn't fit up quite perfectly. After a little back and forth with them though, I got it working and to be honest, it's been great. I don't get any clunking or noise from it... there was some groaning initially but it seemed to lube itself up and has been quiet ever since.

Performance report: with stock suspension it was actually awesome. I was able to dial in completely neutral steering, no over or understeer when entering a turn too hot, just a nice neutral slide. The problem is that after I lowered the car with a Koni/H&R combo, I was only able to keep the sway set to one setting, the others were impossible to attach to. At which point the car was understeering again, which was disappointing. Of course the turning was still much flatter than it would have been without it, but it was a little disappointing.

Also, the way it contacts under my car has rubbed the powdercoating off of the bar a bit in a few spots, so it's possible that it may rust at some point, but I don't really know, because I'm not under there very often at all.

So anyway, I put that bar on like 5 years ago or something and while it's not perfect, other than the handling improvement, I don't even know it's there.

I still kind of wish that I had the money to put the RD set on and see how that worked at the time though but UUC was (is?) a really cool company, so I wanted to give them a shot.

That is all.
ebiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #66
Tele

So I finished the H&R rear sway bar install yesterday and what a difference!
Less body roll and better turn-in!

I adjusted the TMS end links to 3,5" (hole center to hole center) which is about 6mm shorter than the OEM ones, but the clearance to the driveshaft's is still good.
I used the first hole in the H&R bar to get the "stiffest" setting.

Here is the OEM bar and end links of the car, and the TMS end links to the left:

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the left side:

[IMG][/IMG]

Right side:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Tele; 05-07-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #67
ebiz

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Do you have stock suspension otherwise?
ebiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:02 AM   #68
Tele

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebiz View Post
Do you have stock suspension otherwise?
I'm one of many with (blown) Bilstein/Eibach suspension;
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=830014
But I recently replaced my blown rear Bilstein dampers with a set of used M3 E46 dampers...!
Just till I get my KW coilovers variant 1
Old 05-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #69
Pierce1

My Ride: 03 330xi
Are there any issues with the stock mounting points for the rear sway bar? When I did this to my E30ix the stock mounting points had to be re-enforced to keep them from breaking.
Pierce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #70
Tele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce1 View Post
Are there any issues with the stock mounting points for the rear sway bar? When I did this to my E30ix the stock mounting points had to be re-enforced to keep them from breaking.
Time will tell, but I haven't heard of any such issues with E46.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #71
OffCourse

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Don't mean to threadjack, but I think this is pretty well related. I am upgrading front and rear sway bar bushings; planning on going with Powerflex, but I can't seem to find anywhere which size you use. The front stock sway bar is 23.5mm, but Powerflex bushings come in 23mm and 24mm... right then.

The rear bar is 20mm and Powerflex sells 18mm and 19mm... lovely. (Although I have found some info about folks using the 19mm on the rear and that certainly makes sense to not undersize by 2mm)

I found in another thread, a guy saying he ran into the same thing so he bought both sizes for the front and tried them both. He thought the 24mm fit best and allowed the bar to articulate better, so that's what he installed. But he also said the 23mm would have fit. Considering this is a nearly 1" dia. sway bar under a lot of stress, I can see the 23mm being a logical choice, but WHO knows?

Does anyone know the right answer here? I have heard the Powerflex bushings greatly improve the front end, but it's going to suck if I install 23s and they squeak because they're too tight.
OffCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #72
Kubica

Powerflex FCABS will improve the front end, not really sway bar bushings.

You can't use the wrong size bushing. If it's a 23.5mm bar, you need 23.5mm bushings. End of story.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #73
OffCourse

Yeah, I've installed the Powerflex FCABs and RCABs, definitely an improvement. But I have heard that the F/RSBBs help too because the stock rubber bushings will get mushy over the years, not to mention, they are already soft to start with so changing to firmer bushings makes the exchange of force between the left and right sides more efficient.

And not to be a jerk but you're definitely wrong about the second part; the SBBs are made by Powerflex specifically for the 23.5mm bars. I'm just trying to figure out which ones folks lean towards. Really, either size can work; we're talking about a diameter difference of 0.5mm or 0.019" and its a poly or rubber bushing that is meant to flex, it's not like a metal bushing that gets pressed in.

Consider the fact that folks use the 19mm bushing for the rear 20mm bar, which is TWICE as much undersized.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #74
Kubica

^Putting the wrong size bushing on a swaybar is not an upgrade. The bar will bind up in the bushing and cause odd handling and stickiness. I shaved down my rear bushings to temporarily install the H&R rear bar when it was shipped to me sans bushings. It didn't work very well. Felt great as soon as I put on the H&R bushings.

New oem front bushings had little to zero effect on handling (originals had about 95k).

There's no viable poly option for the front bar. But feel free to shove whatever you can fit up there. Maybe you'll be able to squeeze on some understeer!

And I'm the jerk around here, you are the noob. Know your roll, noob.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #75
OffCourse

I know my roll; I had one with dinner tonight

The powerflex bushings are MADE in those sizes for a reason. They are spec'd for all these vehicles, all of which may have 23.5mm bars.
E46 320i Sedan
E46 325i Sedan
E46 325xi Touring
E46 325xi Sedan
E46 330i Sedan
E46 330xi Sedan
E46 325Ci Coupe
E46 330Ci Coupe

And they've been sold and applied to these vehicles for years. I don't think that's a mistake.

It's not a 'wrong size bushing'; they are deliberately made to those sizes to provide a certain firmness of hold on the bar. Just like a steel bushing is held in place with an 'interference' fit so that it does not fall out. And there are different levels of interference fits depending on how much holding force you need. Mechanical engineering 101.

The same applies to these bushings, where you are looking for the bushing to be compressed some amount (or not) once installed so that the bar doesn't have slop.

It may be that the 24mm bushing actually compresses a little once mounted to make a '23.5mm fit'. Or, it may be that the 23mm is, as I said, made to compress onto the bar so that you don't have any slopping.

No Kubica; they don't make a 23.5mm bushing...

And, by the way, the Powerflex bushings are Poly... Poly---urethane

Sooo, the question still stands, what is the better size of these bushings to use?

Last edited by OffCourse; 05-09-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #76
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffCourse View Post
I know my roll; I had one with dinner tonight

The powerflex bushings are MADE in those sizes for a reason. They are spec'd for all these vehicles, all of which may have 23.5mm bars.
E46 320i Sedan
E46 325i Sedan
E46 325xi Touring
E46 325xi Sedan
E46 330i Sedan
E46 330xi Sedan
E46 325Ci Coupe
E46 330Ci Coupe

And they've been sold and applied to these vehicles for years. I don't think that's a mistake.

It's not a 'wrong size bushing'; they are deliberately made to those sizes to provide a certain firmness of hold on the bar. Just like a steel bushing is held in place with an 'interference' fit so that it does not fall out. And there are different levels of interference fits depending on how much holding force you need. Mechanical engineering 101.

The same applies to these bushings, where you are looking for the bushing to be compressed some amount (or not) once installed so that the bar doesn't have slop.

It may be that the 24mm bushing actually compresses a little once mounted to make a '23.5mm fit'. Or, it may be that the 23mm is, as I said, made to compress onto the bar so that you don't have any slopping.

No Kubica; they don't make a 23.5mm bushing...

And, by the way, the Powerflex bushings are Poly... Poly---urethane

Sooo, the question still stands, what is the better size of these bushings to use?

Phhfff. . . . .you're done ruining this thread noob.

Your question is like asking if it's better to remove a 15mm bolt with a 10mm or 20mm socket. It's never going to work.

Xi's have 23.5mm front bars. 325i's have 23mm front bars. They take two different size bushings.

You're making an ass out of yourself. And we know what poly stands for. You asked for help, and you got the answer.

Scram.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #77
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
hOLY THROW THEMSELVES UNDER TRHE BUS!!!

YOU GO KUBICA!......
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #78
Chris911SC

My Ride: '04 330xi 6sp Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele View Post
My H&R rear sway bar is on it's way! Along with the TMS adjustable end links...!

Any suggestions for setup?
Do I us the length of the OEM end links to measure the TMS end links, and use the middle hole in the sway bar?

And if I want more over-steer, which hole should I use?
I went with the medium hole setting but I would like to try the stiffest (closest) hole setting to dial out a bit more understeer.
Chris911SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:50 AM   #79
Tele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris911SC View Post
I went with the medium hole setting but I would like to try the stiffest (closest) hole setting to dial out a bit more understeer.
Yes, I figured it out and went whit the closest hole myself, and I wouldn't say the car went from understeer to oversteer but at least it became neutral, and there is less body roll...!
Old 05-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #80
Dwrek325xi

My Ride: 01 325xi
didnt read through this tread but....

has anyone tried these? http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...Bar/ES1895909/