E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #81
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
^ I don't think those are for the xi. Call them though. It would be a new product.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #82
Dwrek325xi

My Ride: 01 325xi
it say 325xi on the description.... but i called them. they said the rear will fit, but the front wont. go figure.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #83
Kubica

^Just get an H&R rear bar. You will like it, I promise.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:33 AM   #84
Tele

My Ride: E46 330XIT MTech II
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubica View Post
^just get an h&r rear bar. You will like it, i promise.
+1!
Tele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #85
Dwrek325xi

My Ride: 01 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
^Just get an H&R rear bar. You will like it, I promise.
does it really improve the under steer that much?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #86
OffCourse

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Phhfff. . . . .you're done ruining this thread noob.

Your question is like asking if it's better to remove a 15mm bolt with a 10mm or 20mm socket. It's never going to work.

Xi's have 23.5mm front bars. 325i's have 23mm front bars. They take two different size bushings.

You're making an ass out of yourself. And we know what poly stands for. You asked for help, and you got the answer.

Scram.
I figured I should finish what I started, mostly because I learned some interesting things, got Powerflex to add new bushings to their line and got a free set of the new bushings to try.

Kubica, my apologies, you were right about the fitment, I was wrong. I also apologize for ruining the thread. Being someone who designs things like this (R&D engineer / design engineer), my head was too much in the engineering side of this.

I was right in that the bushings are undersized, I confirmed this with Powerflex. A 23mm bushing is actually 22mm (or whatever), so that it compresses slightly around the bar.

Quote from Paul Solbe, Design & Development Manager at Powerflex:

"Hi Sean
Generally the standard, and our bushes are smaller than the bar diameter."

However, what I failed to think about was the fact that these parts are marketed to the general public, so a 23mm bushing is in fact designed to fit only a 23mm bar, they don't tell you the actual inner diameter of the bushing, because an engineer somewhere has already decided how much that bushing needs to be compressed. The "23mm" designation refers to the bar you're putting it on, not the actual size of the inner diameter of the bushing which is in fact smaller.

To my defense, in my line of work, many of the specs I deal with from day to day are developed for engineers and designers, so a 23mm bushing is actually 23mm because it is expected that the designer / engineer is going to decide where and how it is used, how much it should be compressed etc.

Paul Solbe continues:

"I have looked into the bars diameters available and as you rightly say BMW do make a 23.5m bar for which we do not make a dedicated bush for.

I will get our tooling department to make a 23.5mm bush and add it to our range, it should be available within the next 2 weeks.

If you email me back your address I will get a pair sent over to you."

Best regards

Paul Solbe
Design & Development Manager
Powerflex
7 Union Buildings
Wallingford Road
Uxbridge
UB8 2FR
United Kingdom
01895 460033

I of course did send my info and the bushings arrived today.
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 - Copy.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	406134

Name:	002 - Copy.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	406135

Name:	003 - Copy.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	406136

So now there is a 23.5mm poly bushing for the front 23.5mm sway bar. I was blown away that they added them to their line just like that, and sent me a free set.

For the 20mm rear bar Paul told there is 20mm version sold for the E36 that fits the E46 perfectly (same bushing brackets).

One of the interesting things, is that I contacted Powerflex in both the US and the UK. The US office said to just use the 23mm bushing, they were confident it would work fine and knew of many people who had done this successfully, I played devil's advocate and the guy acted like I was crazy, basically saying that 1/2mm with a soft poly bushing was insignificant.

The UK office was much more cautious and simply said that many of their bushings were designed for the UK market which had different component sizes and declined to make any fitment suggestions beyond that. I chased it down further with them and that's how I got in contact with Paul Solbe.

Anyhow, sorry if I've pissed anyone off and ruined the thread. I hope someone finds this info useful.

Last edited by OffCourse; 07-03-2011 at 08:29 AM.
OffCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #87
Kalle

My Ride: 325XI Touring
H&r

Where i can buy just rear H&R sway bar? I can only find front and rear sets.

Also, do i need some special end links? Or does they come with sway? Or can i just use stock end links
Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #88
fastjasonbmw

My Ride: 330Xi
^^^^Tire rack and Turner have the rear bar seperate.

Couple of Qs for those withe the H&R rear bar:

Does the H&R rear swaybar com with end links?

If so are they adjustable?

Does anyone know if the H&R rear bar is solid or hollow?
fastjasonbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #89
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjasonbmw View Post
^^^^Tire rack and Turner have the rear bar seperate.

Couple of Qs for those withe the H&R rear bar:

Does the H&R rear swaybar com with end links?

If so are they adjustable?

Does anyone know if the H&R rear bar is solid or hollow?
No, it doesn't come with endlinks. Don't try and reuse the old ones either. OEM endlinks will work fine.

It's solid.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #90
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
?? I have not really explored it, but my 330Xi has front and rear bars, and has very very little lean
when being pushed hard, I have the Mtec-1 package.... I also have not seen the understeer I keep
hearing about. Even with the ASC turned off. I don't see anything special listed in real OEM.. anybody know what the specs were?

I am the second owner and don't know the cars history heck it could have aftermarket springs if they are black....

The car rides M3 firm...

Dave
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #91
Kubica

What color are your shocks/struts? Yellow would be aftermarket. Black is oem. Stock springs have a five finger gap between the tire and front fender.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #92
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
ok i purchased the front powerflex swaybarbushings and they BARELY fit the swaybar clamps..I twas a pain in tha arse to get the bushing clamps back on..now my right front strut keeps coming undone.. (the single bolt that runs paraleel to the bottome strut mount) . I torqued it down to 80 Nm..now its loose again..I am either going to 'trim" the powerflex bushings with a hacksaw until they fit flush into the bracket or just buy new OEM ones. The powerflex ones are causing some geometry issues and alignment issues with the swaybar. Any assistance and input would be appreciated.
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #93
Kubica

^you bought 23mm bushings? Not 23.5mm?

And the strut pinch bolt won't stay tight? Replace that bolt asap and each time it's removed.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #94
Kubica

FYI- The 23.5mm powerflex front swaybar bushings are available from ebay sellers in the UK. Mine were $55 shipped.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #95
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
That is a good deal i might buy em. Did they improve steering/handling? Any downsides?
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #96
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post
That is a good deal i might buy em. Did they improve steering/handling? Any downsides?
I'll let you know, but i'm not expecting much besides never having to replace them again.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #97
JKid

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Kubica, what setting do you have on your sway, if you don't mind me asking? I am currently thinking of buying the H&R sway bar when I get the KW V1s
Old 05-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #98
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid View Post
Kubica, what setting do you have on your sway, if you don't mind me asking? I am currently thinking of buying the H&R sway bar when I get the KW V1s
Same here, I just ordered FK Silverlines and I'm looking to also get the H&R rear sway bar. I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar setup. From the previous posts it seems the general consensus for the H&R sway bar is very good.

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #99
FcBarcelona

My Ride: 325ci
Is it ok if I just change the bushings and use the OEM Sway for the front?
FcBarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #100
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid View Post
Full stiff.

I switched to a Hotchkis rear bar. I have the HnR rear bar if you want it for $140. Comes with bushings and OE links.