E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
gpchamp

My Ride: 330i, 335i
Send a message via AIM to gpchamp Send a message via Yahoo to gpchamp
GPS mount position

I just got a Garmin Nuvi 255W. I'm not sure where I want to mount it in my car...vent, cupholder, cig lighter, etc. The only thing I am sure of is no beanbags or windshield suction mounts. Can you post some pics of how/where you mount your portable GPS units?

Thanks!!!
gpchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
do you want to have it in your car all the time? i have the same model and just use it when i need it. doesn't really offer any information that i need on a daily driving basis.

was going to mount it in the ac vent, but found i like the suction cup mount and i put it up high next to the rear view mirror. on the e46 there is a lot of room there so it is out of the way and still easy to see. only problem is if it needs to be charged so the wire hangs down and can be a pain while shifting. just my thoughts.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpchamp View Post
I just got a Garmin Nuvi 255W. I'm not sure where I want to mount it in my car...vent, cupholder, cig lighter, etc. The only thing I am sure of is no beanbags or windshield suction mounts. Can you post some pics of how/where you mount your portable GPS units?

Thanks!!!
I have the same model garmin I hardwired it into the car with switched power via fuse panel and an add-a-circuit. i use a suction cup mount on drivers side, just above the far left vent, but since you dont want a windshield mount id mount it on that vent, best spot in my opinion to hide wires.

The other option is to use a kuda mount instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0503.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	328043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	328044   Click image for larger version

Name:	kuda mount.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	328045  
SPQR ROMAN SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
this

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1158529
Old 08-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
GpChamp-

Here is what you are going to do, and you are going to like it:

Go to amazon.com and buy this vent clip:

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-GN047-Re...0696657&sr=8-1

Then buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-Au.../dp/B000NCNB92

Clip the vent clip in the middle of the two middle dash vents and on the second to bottom vent slat.

Get the converter that turns the flashlight port into an extra cigarette lighter, and either run the wire through the vent, or just close the glovebox with about 12 inches of the wire sticking out. Use this to charge the GPS.

If/when you need to hide the gps, take the whole gps and vent mount and unclip it, and hide it in your glove box.

It works phenomenally, never comes off unless you want it to, doesn't leave a mark, and costs about $20.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Those vent clips are awkward to get right...I bought mine for my tom tom go and every time I braked the whole thing came off. There is a proper DIY on Bimmerforums showing a way of using the space above the center vents to clamp a plate securely that you can glue your GPS plate onto.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Those vent clips are awkward to get right...I bought mine for my tom tom go and every time I braked the whole thing came off. There is a proper DIY on Bimmerforums showing a way of using the space above the center vents to clamp a plate securely that you can glue your GPS plate onto.
ya......... um did you click my link?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=hardwired+gps

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
OK so the one for TomTom sucks. This is a Garmin Nuvi thread.

The one for the Garmin Nuvi works really well in our cars. It's the only good option if you don't want a mount constantly showing. IT HAS NEVER FALLEN OFF.

You should never use a suction cup on the windshield. It's dangerous. The way i have mine mounted in the middle of the dash, if the airbags come out, it shouldnt get caught between the airbag and my (or my passenger's) face.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
gpchamp

My Ride: 330i, 335i
Send a message via AIM to gpchamp Send a message via Yahoo to gpchamp
No, I don't want it to appear that I have a GPS in the car. I want to be able to easily remove the mount/GPS at any given time and stow it without anyone the wiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
do you want to have it in your car all the time? i have the same model and just use it when i need it. doesn't really offer any information that i need on a daily driving basis.

was going to mount it in the ac vent, but found i like the suction cup mount and i put it up high next to the rear view mirror. on the e46 there is a lot of room there so it is out of the way and still easy to see. only problem is if it needs to be charged so the wire hangs down and can be a pain while shifting. just my thoughts.
gpchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
tmerrick

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via AIM to tmerrick
I just bought the same model the 255w and am following this guide - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1158529

It is nearly done I just need to add a little more glue to my fabric.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
i just mount mine when i need it using its suction cup, otherwise would keep it in glove compartment to avoid exposure that might cause my windows broken by thieves.
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoybmr3 View Post
i just mount mine when i need it using its suction cup, otherwise would keep it in glove compartment to avoid exposure that might cause my windows broken by thieves.
Just know that it's dangerous to drive with things stuck to the inside of your windshield. It'e even illegal in CA, i believe. If you have a Nuvi, do yourself a favor and splurge $10 on a vent mount.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR ROMAN SPQR View Post
I have the same model garmin I hardwired it into the car with switched power via fuse panel and an add-a-circuit. i use a suction cup mount on drivers side, just above the far left vent, but since you dont want a windshield mount id mount it on that vent, best spot in my opinion to hide wires.

The other option is to use a kuda mount instead.
I got my 255WT in the same position as in the pics posted. Normally it goes in my center console and the suction cup mount is in the glove box.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #15
Steve330ci

My Ride: 2011 328i, Jet Black
Send a message via Skype™ to Steve330ci
Pro-Fit

You can get one of these Pro-Fit mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PRO.VSM50-99.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	328082  
Old 08-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #16
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve330ci View Post
You can get one of these Pro-Fit mounts.
I like the idea of the pro mount and the DIY with the one on the dash, but I never leave mine in the car all the time so would rather not have a piece of metal sticking out, or on the top of the dash. For me, just my personal preference, I like the left side of the dash and right next to my eye.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #17
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
someone else made a removeable mount from pvc pipe that pops in/out of the sunglass tray and puts the GPS above the ashtray and under the air controls. i was thinking of doing something similar where the mount is hidden when the cover is closed and able to be slid in when the cover open.
there is another thread like this out, it's where i got my swivel mount that i fitted to my ProClip mount. i just took it off when i got my silver CF trim because i didn't want to break up the lines of dash trim.
i'll post the link if/when i find it.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #18
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
the suction cup is actually well designed. i've never had any problems with it falling off or not detaching from the windshield when i want to take it off and put the gps in the glove box.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #19
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
the suction cup is actually well designed. i've never had any problems with it falling off or not detaching from the windshield when i want to take it off and put the gps in the glove box.
In CA we are not allowed to mount to the front windshield. So we have to use these other options, also something better looking too.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #20
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Just know that it's dangerous to drive with things stuck to the inside of your windshield. It'e even illegal in CA, i believe. If you have a Nuvi, do yourself a favor and splurge $10 on a vent mount.
Not illegal. There are just specific areas that you can mount it. Basically the lower left and lower right corners of the windshield.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote