E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
Guns and your children. . .

So I applied for my carry permit. The wife is on board with me getting a gun. I have two small children 6 and 3. I of course want to be over the top safe in regards to my children. What do you guys think?

1. Gun safe

2. Pad-lock thing (my wife got from a Sheriffs booth at a county fair)

3. Trigger lock

4. Gun with a lock (I was at the gun store today and Taurus has a lock built into the gun. You use a tiny, hollowed out allen wrench as a key and only turn a quarter turn)

I was very interest in 4.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
It depends on where you want to keep the gun and why you have it. I find it best to just make sure that the children can't even find it, touch it or look at it. Just keeping it in the closet with a lock on it isn't a great idea, and usually doesn't satisfy most state law requirements to keep children away from said firearms.

If you want the gun for home defense, you should ideally have it in your bedroom or a nearby location. There are several electronic safes that can be mounted under tables or in closets that facilitate fast access to the weapon, but secure holding to prevent anyone from accessing it who isn't supposed to (i.e. tykes, burglars, psycho ex-girlfriends). In those cases, having an auxiliary lock on the gun serves no purpose since the gun is already secured in a safe or vault or locker. It can also be detrimental if you need the gun quickly, since after you fiddle with the safe, you still have to then fiddle with a trigger lock or action cable lock. Never good.

If you have the gun for just sporting purposes only, a trigger lock or cable lock is perfectly fine.

I just recommend getting a safe or vault regardless. The top 4 things stolen from houses during burglaries are Firearms, Electronics, Medications and Jewelry. Safe are also handy for keeping documents and jewelry and rare collectibles safe. Especially if you have a fire-rated safe.

Built-in gun locks are bad news. If you lose that key or unlocking device, you're SOL. Remington used to install a locking safety on their long guns, but people kept locking the safeties and then losing the keys. Or they'd go hunting and forget the keys, and they'd either have to go to a gun store to borrow a key or they'd be SOL and the gun would be a 7lb club. Avoid built-in internal locking devices.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
4ngie

My Ride: Chrissspyy
People obviously have different ideas about gun safety when it comes to children. Personally, I have a 7-year-old son who is fully aware that my husband and I carry guns. We have talked to him about them, what they're for, and the consequences behind the actions of using one. He knows he's never allowed to go near them, but we keep them in a gun safe with a combination located in a room with a deadbolt lock on it. I think you can't ever be too cautious about it. At the same time, I think that not discussing it with them will only make them more curious. In my house, if my son has a question about our guns, we answer him honestly. (On his level, of course.) But they are always kept out of reach.

4ngie likes this.
4ngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Yep get a safe, that's the only thing I trust to keep it locked up and away from those I don't want having it while having it readily accessible

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
3erdriver

My Ride: The Subway/NYC Taxi
if the gun isn't used for self defense...it should be in a safe if there are children around...period. If it's for self defense like has been said there are special safes designed for easy access...ie hey have 4 buttons on top (one for each finger) and you enter a quick pattern and the door is spring loaded and pops open...or it should be kept on you. I know when I was younger my parents never taught me the danger of guns, and I thought they were cool and toys. It was my grandfather that truly taught me to repsect them and be repsonsible with them. Like Angie said, talking with your child about them also helps...if I had found a gun before my grandfather got to me, I would have thought it was awesome and would have played with it.
3erdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erdriver View Post
if the gun isn't used for self defense...it should be in a safe if there are children around...period. If it's for self defense like has been said there are special safes designed for easy access...ie hey have 4 buttons on top (one for each finger) and you enter a quick pattern and the door is spring loaded and pops open...or it should be kept on you. I know when I was younger my parents never taught me the danger of guns, and I thought they were cool and toys. It was my grandfather that truly taught me to repsect them and be repsonsible with them. Like Angie said, talking with your child about them also helps...if I had found a gun before my grandfather got to me, I would have thought it was awesome and would have played with it.
^
^
^

And like what 4ngie and 3erdriver said, making sure your children are educated about the guns is key. When I was a little kid, I knew that if I ever touched my dad's guns without permission and supervision, I was in deep sh*t.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ngie View Post
People obviously have different ideas about gun safety when it comes to children. Personally, I have a 7-year-old son who is fully aware that my husband and I carry guns. We have talked to him about them, what they're for, and the consequences behind the actions of using one. He knows he's never allowed to go near them, but we keep them in a gun safe with a combination located in a room with a deadbolt lock on it. I think you can't ever be too cautious about it. At the same time, I think that not discussing it with them will only make them more curious. In my house, if my son has a question about our guns, we answer him honestly. (On his level, of course.) But they are always kept out of reach.
Couldn't agree more with this...my neighbors have 3 daughters and from the time they were like 5, they knew what try were, what they did, and never to touch them without supervision. When they got a little older, they took the girls to the range to ease their curiosity and to teach them more about gun safety. I will probably follow the same policy with my kids...I figure the more safe you keep them locked up and the less curious they are about them, the less they are in real danger.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
my two(11 & 8)are curious and are about the age where my dad took me bird hunting. at 8yo i knew what a shotgun would do to me and a dove far away. the guns were always in the hall closet and there were NO toys in the hall closet.
hell everyone had a rifle and/or pistol and none of my friends would consider "playing" w/them. we do however, have a neighbor child that encourages my youngest to do things that would enter this realm-that's why i have a safe.
as someone above posted: guns, valuables etc. when buying a safe buy the biggest one that will fit in your house because if/when your mother finds out about it she'll want to store aunt Edith's silver...
Old 08-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
No kids ftw, but do you guys know a cheap safe that will work? I need to be able to store approximately half a dozen handguns and 2 long guns.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
I'll read the whole thread in a second... but whats the point of having a gun for protection if it takes you 10 minutes to release the 50 "safety" attachments you secure on to it.

Gun safety is more education than mechanical restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

OK Read the thread.

Quote:
I have a 20 month old, so its not an issue now. When she gets older, she will be exposed to guns, taught about them, and will respect them safety wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
It depends on where you want to keep the gun and why you have it. I find it best to just make sure that the children can't even find it, touch it or look at it. Just keeping it in the closet with a lock on it isn't a great idea, and usually doesn't satisfy most state law requirements to keep children away from said firearms.

If you want the gun for home defense, you should ideally have it in your bedroom or a nearby location. There are several electronic safes that can be mounted under tables or in closets that facilitate fast access to the weapon, but secure holding to prevent anyone from accessing it who isn't supposed to (i.e. tykes, burglars, psycho ex-girlfriends). In those cases, having an auxiliary lock on the gun serves no purpose since the gun is already secured in a safe or vault or locker. It can also be detrimental if you need the gun quickly, since after you fiddle with the safe, you still have to then fiddle with a trigger lock or action cable lock. Never good.

If you have the gun for just sporting purposes only, a trigger lock or cable lock is perfectly fine..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erdriver View Post
If the gun is simply for the range only and you won't ever want/need to protect your home (who can really predict that?)
Unload it, keep the ammo in a separate room, wrap the gun in barbed wire, secure it with duct tape, rub some poison ivy on it, etc... lol
Obviously kidding, but IMHO, what is the point of owning a firearm if you can't get to it or use it?

Buy a fingerprint safe, educate everyone in the house on firearm safety, don't rack the slide, etc.
Education is key, not restriction.

This is the type I have. Keep it right beside my bed. Only the wife and I know it is there and can access it.

http://www.gunsafes.com/GunVault-Mul...c-GVB2000.html

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 08-01-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
Rush, do you want it to be theft proof? get one that will bolt to the floor.
i swear by bear safes from OK. i have one; it's not pretty but it does the job. all their safes have holes in the bottom for securing to the floor, which is the #1 best removal protection.
pm me for more info.
mods, i have no affiliation w/bear safes.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdmikey View Post
Rush, do you want it to be theft proof? get one that will bolt to the floor.
i swear by bear safes from OK. i have one; it's not pretty but it does the job. all their safes have holes in the bottom for securing to the floor, which is the #1 best removal protection.
pm me for more info.
mods, i have no affiliation w/bear safes.
Yea, most safes have a hole in the bottom for a lag bolt to the floor joist or you can very easily just drill your own.

This is a good suggestion, your gun is safe inside the safe...but you don't want someone to steal the safe! lol

Also, make sure to enroll you and your wife in a firearms safety course. It teaches many things about guns, legal info, myths, and tips/practice for shooting in different conditions (while scared, in the dark, close range, etc.)

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #14
4ngie

Matt and I have had the discussion about asking an intruder to wait a few minutes while we get the guns from the safe. You're absolutely right, JonJon. Matt and I both carry guns at all times. We have some that stay locked in the gun safe, and we each have one that stays on us while we're awake. They are hidden but within reach while we are sleeping. They are literally never out of our possession. We are very careful to answer Grant's questions and protect him/ educate him about guns, but we never leave our guns in a room where he can have access to them. If I leave a room, my gun is with me, or it's locked in the safe.

4ngie likes this.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #15
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
thats why don't mess with 4ngie..
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #16
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Good suggestions already. I would add that you should also educate your children outside of the home too through gun safety classes (they have them for kids) and NRA's Eddie the Eagle.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #17
FlasHGordoN

My Ride: a car
Quote:
You have a husband? Who is that guy? Is he on the forum? I kick his ass!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
^
^
^

And like what 4ngie and 3erdriver said, making sure your children are educated about the guns is key. When I was a little kid, I knew that if I ever touched my dad's guns without permission and supervision, I was in deep sh*t.
Wow I think you should worry about how to keep your house clean for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoybmr3 View Post
I do. It's quite nice
Old 08-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #18
4ngie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoybmr3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasHGordoN View Post
You have a husband? Who is that guy? Is he on the forum? I kick his ass!!!!

Wow I think you should worry about how to keep your house clean for now

I do. It's quite nice
Yep, I've been married for 15 years. He's on the forum.. M4TT is his sn, but he doesn't post very often.

4ngie likes this.