E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
digital ink

My Ride: 03 330Ci
adaptive headlights vs angel eyes

hey guys, this question might be more geared to people who have done multiple angel eye installs. i have the adaptive xenons (auto adjust). i know when you install the angel eyes you need to make sure you provide enough clearance for the projector housing to move. but on the off chance that there is not enough room what is the outcome? will the adjusting break the led ring or will the projector not adjust if it feels pressure, etc?

the reason i ask is because i installed one of my headlights with the angel eyes. fitment was fine until i put the beauty trim back on. i didn't realize until the headlight was reinstalled that the trim shifted the ring part way onto the xenon. it started raining here so i can't do anything else today i had to move my car when it started to rain before i saw the shift

obviously i'm not going to start the car again until i dremel the trim and re adjust the ring. but i want to be prepared for worst case scenario if i caused damage.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Don B

My Ride: 325i (RHD)
What angel eyes do you have? I had this problem on my sedan, I changed
angel eyes kits to remedy the problem. I got an Orion V2 kit from
Umnitza...didn't need to dremel the trim etc.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
digital ink

e2 aurora angel eyes from eas
Old 08-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B View Post
What angel eyes do you have? I had this problem on my sedan, I changed
angel eyes kits to remedy the problem. I got an Orion V2 kit from
Umnitza...didn't need to dremel the trim etc.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
digital ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
if this is a solution to the clearance issue, what is the difference between rings? are they a smaller diameter or is the clipping set up that much different?

also umnitza as an angel eye sponsor, i'm sure you have seen plenty of installs for your kit as well as others. is it possible to break the adaptive headlight system? its pouring here still (thanks hurricane bill) so i haven't been able to run any tests.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
are you sure you clipped them in right? try pushing it farther in.

the result is often times, rings will not stay on correctly. the shroud will become scratched. and in rare cases the ring breaks. i haven't seen/heard and issues of the auto-leveling breaking

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
do you have adaptive headlights that move from side to side, or auto leveling that moves up and down? I have auto leveling and I had to dremel my trim because it was hitting when it moved. I have umnitza predator chromiums

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital ink View Post
if this is a solution to the clearance issue, what is the difference between rings? are they a smaller diameter or is the clipping set up that much different?

also umnitza as an angel eye sponsor, i'm sure you have seen plenty of installs for your kit as well as others. is it possible to break the adaptive headlight system? its pouring here still (thanks hurricane bill) so i haven't been able to run any tests.
Our Orion v2 kit does not hit anything as long as it's properly installed and it works better on the cars than any of the previous kits we sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirsh View Post
do you have adaptive headlights that move from side to side, or auto leveling that moves up and down? I have auto leveling and I had to dremel my trim because it was hitting when it moved. I have umnitza predator chromiums
true, on some applications you had to do this, with Orion v2, you don't any more.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirsh View Post
i have both for the facelifted coupe. but that won't help you as the projector for our cars is behind the headlight trim/bezel.

for your cars, you guys only have auto-leveling, and because you have the predator chromiums, that's why it's hitting it. this is a documented fault of those ccfl angels. and that's what these LED angel eye vendors sought to over come with their new designs.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote