E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
How I got rid of my rasp... VIDEO

Headers + UUC TSE3 + MagnaFlow 11385 muffler & spun cats

As some know, I have been on this journey to be able to enjoy race headers without the excessive sound and rasp. I've searched for a set up and/or a direction and after sorting through numerous suggestions and ideas I have found a combination that suits my needs and sounds great. I figure others may find this video useful.

Setup:

eBay Headers
Some may find them cheap and have opinions, but I have had them for almost a year with no problems and they still look great. I went with OEM exhaust manifold gaskets with the built in heat shield. With the recent change of my valve cover gasket (VCG), I noticed the heat caused it to become heat damaged and brittle which probably led to the leak. Without those heat shields, I can almost guarantee a decrease in VCG life.

UUC Twin Silencer Exhaust 3
This was my initial mistake; thinking this wouldn't sound "that loud" with headers. Wrong. It sounds great driving easy but was ungodly loud on the throttle. I know I got A LOT of "WTF's?" I would only suggest this setup to someone running stock manifolds.

MagnaFlow Spun Cats
I purchased (2) 2.25" spun cats with the thought that they would fit the 2.25" TSE3. Wrong again. The exhaust was stretched so much that it was just under 2". This caused a gap that was filled with weld. Probably not the best for flow, but I had to work with what I had plus I didn't notice a difference. I put these in after running just headers and the TSE3 (pretty much just straight pipes). I noticed very little reduction in sound, even less on the top end. Idle tone was a little lower and a little "cleaner". Not what I was looking for but at least I'm legal now. I put two post cat bungs in and ran 1 de-fouler each just to be safe. I extended the O2 wires so they could reach the new bung. The DIY I did for that can be found if you <click> I have never received a CEL for my exhaust.

MagnaFlow 11385 2.25" dual inlet, dual outlet Muffler
This was what saved me. $87, best offer on eBay. I was first going to try a MagnaFlow Tru-X pipe, but after research determined that this wasn't going to reduce the dB's. I cut out the two forward UUC resonators a little shorter than the length of the new muffler. Now the UUC was a bit stretched, so one side of the muffler had to be filled in with weld. This time the stretch measured just over 2" but the other side was just under 2.25" so it fit nice and snug.

These look really low but they are not that bad. I've scraped them twice but that was going over some crazy steep bump. (Left: rear of car; right: manifold flanges):

There was a slight rattle when the motor mounts where under strain. In the center of the picture below, you can see the center support plate. The center of that had to be hammered down a little. It poked up and was too close. You can also see I threw a few washers in. This was probably unnecessary but I tried this before hammering and was still set on using them:

And now, the video (first video so I expect hate):

[youtube]

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Sounds pretty rad, man. Nice work.

Be VERY careful with those cats. EIAlfonso killed his after a year or so of careful driving. A couple good hits and they'll crumble.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
Focal E46

Thanks Aggie. I've actually thought about welding a skid plate across the two to disperse the energy transfer. They also make an offset version that may assist with clearance but I haven't looked into them much yet
Old 08-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Very interesting. So you put the MagnaFlow 11385 in place of both front resonators, so you have 2 of these installed or just one?

If thats what solved it then it makes me wonder if a single MagnaFlow 11385 in place of my forward resonator in my stock setup would solve the problem..... Any performance hits?

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
nightdagger

My Ride: 2004 TiAg 325Ci 5MT
That sounds great!
Old 08-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
SaaDiesel

My Ride: 02 330i Tech 1
Sounds beefy Breaks the assumption you can't run headers and the TSE3 without going deaf.

ZSP/ZPP/ZCW
BFP Intake, Euro Cooling Ducts, OEM Clear Lenses, 8000K HIDS
Matte Black-Grill, Headlight, Window, & Body Trim
SaaDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Focal E46

Thanks guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
Very interesting. So you put the MagnaFlow 11385 in place of both front resonators, so you have 2 of these installed or just one?

If thats what solved it then it makes me wonder if a single MagnaFlow 11385 in place of my forward resonator in my stock setup would solve the problem..... Any performance hits?
Just one. On the UUC TSE3 there are four resonators; two rear, two forward. I replaced the two forward resonators with one dual in/dual out muffler.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
I believe the only thing out of all of that needed to get ride of rasp is Headers, Once I got ride of my headers the rasp went away.....I still have factory midpipe and Muffler. I know your not an M3 but I believe the same thing applies
InDiGlOM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
rkneeshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
I believe the only thing out of all of that needed to get ride of rasp is Headers, Once I got ride of my headers the rasp went away.....I still have factory midpipe and Muffler. I know your not an M3 but I believe the same thing applies
Well of course, but there are many of us who want the extra power from the headers and yet keep the car sounding great.

I've got an appointment to put in that magnaflow in place of the forward stock resonator in my stock ZHP exhaust, will let everyone know the results in a week. Maybe this magnaflow muffler is the secret we've been looking for!

Old 09-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Exactly why I kept factory muffler, sounds quiet as can be, Next im installing Electronic Dumps so I can be loud straight pipe or quiet
InDiGlOM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:52 AM   #11
e46bluehulk

My Ride: 99 e46 328i
Sounds good to me, and it looks cool too.
e46bluehulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:55 AM   #12
Jelly335

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330I
Send a message via AIM to Jelly335
i agree it sounds good

E46 330i retired
E92 335 current
<3 my one wheel wonder
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2269710/1
-Jeremy
Jelly335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
Focal E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
Definitely, the headers are the source of the rasp. I have very little experience with the M rasp but I would almost guarantee the same results, if not a significant reduction. It's the packing material in the muffler that does it.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
rkneeshaw

Update, I received the 11378, the shorter version of the 11385, and it does NOT have a built-in xpipe. its a straight through perforated design. dimentions are the same only its 3" shorter. anyone have pics of the 11385 to confirm it does in fact have a built-in xpipe?

Going to the shop tomorrow to get their opinions

Old 09-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #15
Focal E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
Update, I received the 11378, the shorter version of the 11385, and it does NOT have a built-in xpipe. its a straight through perforated design. dimentions are the same only its 3" shorter. anyone have pics of the 11385 to confirm it does in fact have a built-in xpipe?

Going to the shop tomorrow to get their opinions
Yes the 11385 does have an x pipe. I am POSITIVE. I was going to go for the shorter one the first time around. I guess I dodged that bullet. Sorry to hear, but I don't think it's the X that's getting rid of the rasp because others have tried just the x-pipe with little change. It's the FRP packing material that seems to cancel out the sound so sweetly.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #16
rkneeshaw

Yep you're right, just confirmed with Magnaflow directly, the 11378 (shorter version) has NO internal x pipe, but the 11385 DOES.

The real bummer for me is that after putting the car up on the lift its going to take somewhat extensive work to get the 11385 to fit in place of the forward resonator on my stock ZHP exhaust. By the time I buy extra stainless pipe, the muffler, and pay labor to fab it all up, then I'm already getting up to about $500. Might as well get a Rogue Ikon and call it done at that point I suppose. Other options I'm considering is the magnaflow cat-back that is nearing production or a Borla, none of which are cheap options

I agree, it must be the packing around the internal X pipe that is helping kill the rasp. It makes sense to me anyway.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #17
ferrarix99

My Ride: 87 325e - 05 M3 Vert
sounds great, if i get a tse3 which i am currently negotiating on ill definitely have to do this
Bimmerworld Epic Tune | OEM Euro Headers | CSL Brakes | B&B TriFlo | aFe SuperStock | PSS10 | Varrstoen TE37 | V1 | ZKW Lens Swap | Orion Golds
Want your car coded? PM me.
ferrarix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #18
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Hmm. So the TSE3 was too loud?. I dono but i think my Dinan with headers and removed 1 resonator sound louder, and i still want it even louder. Dono.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #19
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
I think Focal found a great solution for people who have already bought the system, then put on headers, and want to make it work. But other than that, you're buying an $1100 exhaust and doing around $200 of work to get it to sound good. Seems like a lot of cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarix99 View Post
sounds great, if i get a tse3 which i am currently negotiating on ill definitely have to do this
Old 11-20-2009, 12:53 AM   #20
jerrys330i

My Ride: 02 330i
did adding a second muffler to the exhaust reduce any hp? ^^^ that is exactly what im dealling with, i got the highline catback that has NO resonators and one X-pipe and then added headers. dont get me wrong it sounds AMAZING!!! but im over getting pulled over by the cops almost everyday and want to quiet it down a bit and didnt want to get rid of the HP. do you think in my case i would get the shorter version since i already have an x-pipe? your exhaust sounds really good. props bro for taking the chance and coming out on top.
jerrys330i is offline   Reply With Quote