E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #261
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightgelb323ci View Post
So just went under my car this morning after hearing creaking from the rear and the subframe is cracked. Worse than i have seen in some google images and youtube vids.
For those who have had it fixed is there any places you reccomend I go near Rowville/Dandenong. Thanks!
oh and how far down do I need to bend over in numerical terms??
All depends on the repair you do. If you have it welded up and reinforced it will be between $4-5k. If you have the whole subframe replaced (which by the sounds of it you will need to do) it will be around $8-9k.
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #262
Jall

My Ride: 328Ci
My quotes were from $7.8k-$8k for the whole floorpan replacement when BMW was paying for it.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #263
lightgelb323ci

My Ride: 323ci man
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredM View Post
All depends on the repair you do. If you have it welded up and reinforced it will be between $4-5k. If you have the whole subframe replaced (which by the sounds of it you will need to do) it will be around $8-9k.
My car isn't even worth that lol, what are the chances of bmw covering it I have read previous posts but it seems they cover some and not others.
lightgelb323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #264
DesiredM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightgelb323ci View Post
My car isn't even worth that lol, what are the chances of bmw covering it I have read previous posts but it seems they cover some and not others.
Your car is older than 10 years, mine was just just just over 10 years (by 20 days) and that wouldn't even consider repairing mine so I don't think you have a chance (sorry just being honest)

I would probably just part out the car if I was you?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #265
Davconelectric

My Ride: 330
Buy yourself a mig and some plate steel. Weld that fuker up. Honestly not that hard a job.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #266
lightgelb323ci

OK thanks for the ideas.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #267
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
14 years and 236K later...

Still no problems.
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #268
j4nelle

My Ride: 1999 BMW 328Ci
I just had mine welded up by a friend and he charged me $500. Not sure how much it would normally be though. Apparently mine was very badly damaged and I didn't need a new sub frame..
j4nelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #269
lightgelb323ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4nelle View Post
I just had mine welded up by a friend and he charged me $500. Not sure how much it would normally be though. Apparently mine was very badly damaged and I didn't need a new sub frame..
Did he charge only for the welding or to drop the rear end aswell? Im thinking of dropping the rear end myself at home then try to get someone to do the welding.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #270
Yaraphon

My Ride: 325ci
Yeh that's my plan too. I'm about to drop my subframe anyway to replace all the bushings. Lately I've been hearing suspicious groaning noises back there so I'm unsure what I'll find. How much would it cost to have a mobile welder come out and do it if I do all the prep and reassembly?
Yaraphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #271
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaraphon View Post
Yeh that's my plan too. I'm about to drop my subframe anyway to replace all the bushings. Lately I've been hearing suspicious groaning noises back there so I'm unsure what I'll find. How much would it cost to have a mobile welder come out and do it if I do all the prep and reassembly?
You would probably have to ask a mobile welder that, if/when this happens i plan on doing the work since its a large job but only really consists of quality welding
JS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #272
Davconelectric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaraphon View Post
I got quoted $200-$400 for welding only. No prep work. Also was a 2 week wait. So make sure if your gonna do it, to book someone in early. Unless you don't mind having your car off the road for a few weeks
Old 03-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #273
selien
davconelectric gaycar maker

My Ride: 330CI
dave did his repair himself with a wobbly rim and his dodgy work expect to find a e46 rear end in the middle of the road near Sunbury

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Bimmer App

I AM OF DUBIOUS NATURE
selien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #274
Davconelectric

Quote:
Originally Posted by selien View Post
dave did his repair himself with a wobbly rim and his dodgy work expect to find a e46 rear end in the middle of the road near Sunbury

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Bimmer App
Mine wasn't cracked, so it wasn't really a repair, more an upgrade to cope with the huge amount of power I'm putting down.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #275
DesiredM

Interesting info!!!!

Went to my mechanic in brookvale yesterday and was having a chat with him and subframe repairs popped up in the convo. He said he has done about 10 and each time has got the client to claim through insurance and pay the excess. I asked how? He said just say you swerved to avoid "something" ran up on a driveway and heard a crack at the back, and as you drove away you heard continuous cracking or something felt different. He said every single one has been approved through their insurer and has paid for a complete new subframe and he does the install.

I wish I knew that
Old 03-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #276
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredM View Post
Interesting info!!!!

Went to my mechanic in brookvale yesterday and was having a chat with him and subframe repairs popped up in the convo. He said he has done about 10 and each time has got the client to claim through insurance and pay the excess. I asked how? He said just say you swerved to avoid "something" ran up on a driveway and heard a crack at the back, and as you drove away you heard continuous cracking or something felt different. He said every single one has been approved through their insurer and has paid for a complete new subframe and he does the install.

I wish I knew that
At least you can sleep at night knowing you haven't been party to fraud.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #277
DesiredM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortinaD View Post
At least you can sleep at night knowing you haven't been party to fraud.
Haha yeah that's a positive point but at the same time you might have done something while driving that contributed to the crack that could fall under insurance? I mean If my rear subframe was going again and I did hit something that contributed to it cracking I would claim it.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #278
94vtirozguy

My Ride: 330 ci convertible
i might chekc mine tonight before it goes over teh 10 years barrier.
94vtirozguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:17 AM   #279
lightgelb323ci

So I a got quote from a mechanic who said $500-$800, said he's going to weld in in a plate from the bottom and inspect from the boot to see if he has to do any work from the top, which determines price within that range. Pretty good price I thought considering he's going to a day and a half on it and also what others have been quoted, this is drive in drive out mind you.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #280
Davconelectric

Good luck with that

Tags
litigation