E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #101
mvrboy

My Ride: M
very true, typical west coast so isolated and not enough variety. Happy to have a fresh car ready to drive at its full potential once repaired.

Last edited by mvrboy; 12-01-2009 at 05:53 PM.
mvrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #102
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
That's great news guys - good luck.

Will get mine checked soon (to be sure, to be sure) and if needed will contact you mvrboy.

Cheers for taking up the cause and setting a solid precedent.

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #103
sonaldinho89

My Ride: e90 325i 6MT
just dropped my baby (Anya) off today
i'll see her back in 2 weeks
getting it done at BMW Bodyshop
process i went through was simply talking to Clive Discipline. to be honest, he's actually a really good guy, fairly honest, as far as someone representing BMW can be. Apart from just talking to him, and having him inspect my car, there were a couple of specifics I had to deal with that were specific to my car, but other than that, they seem pretty forthcoming with the repair.
Two things though:
1. if your dealership is giving you the run around and blowing smoke up your ass, don't bother, call up BMW Aus directly and tell the lady who answers your problem (it's amazing how the BMW Aus receptionist was much more knowledgeable about the subframe issue than 2 out of the 3 dealerships i called). She'll forward your concerns and details to the relevant party (Clive in my case), and he'll contact you directly to organise an inspection (or at least, this is my experience)
2. It pays to be organised, prepared, researched, and persistent. understandably, they are cautious is giving out the repairs, as they are expensive, and sometimes the damage isn't caused by faulty structures, but by accidents, modifications etc.
be prepared to defend your car and establish the legitimacy of your claim. i'm not saying they're overly questioning, but it really helps if you know your cars fully history and things like that
Old 07-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #104
Green323i

My Ride: BMW X5 and BMW 323i
Does anyone know if this was an issue with 1999 323i sedans?

Reading all these threads makes me worry
Green323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:06 AM   #105
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green323i View Post
Does anyone know if this was an issue with 1999 323i sedans?

Reading all these threads makes me worry
ye it is..

especially if its manual

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #106
Boomdog

My Ride: BMW 323i 1999 Sedan
How do you know if it's been checked.
Should there be a sticker on the car?
I know mine has a sticker but I'll have to look more closely to see what it says.
Boomdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:33 AM   #107
Green323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post
ye it is..

especially if its manual
mine is an auto but i'd still like to get it checked. Whats the best thing to do? Have it inspected by a third party or go straight to BMW?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:42 PM   #108
Green323i

anyone?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #109
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Either or ...

When is ur next service??? Just get it done then , unless ur desperate

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?

Last edited by YGOAMG; 07-25-2010 at 11:49 PM.
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:26 AM   #110
msbhvn

My Ride: Coupe
no get it done right away, as your car is older than 10 years you may not be covered for anything (thats what they told me when repairing mine).
msbhvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #111
Green323i

ok. I'll get it inspected asap.

thanks
Old 11-02-2010, 02:28 AM   #112
mtria

My Ride: 03 E46 M3
Hi All,

I've been doing some research on E46 M3 subframe cracks after discovering that I suffer from this fate.

I bought a Used 03 E46 M3 from a BMW dealership in Australia with a 1 year warranty, withing 3 months I noticed my diff was making a clunking noise when pushed hard through the gears and also a grinding noise when turning slowly for e.g reverse parking. So I took it in to dealership, I complained about the noise/clunck and got the usual crap of it's normal, your car is fine, so i left thinking hey their meant to be the experts maybe their right, anyway It was still bothering me so I took it back again a few months later, this time they added the diff oil, it seemed to have lessened the noise, drove it around for another 10months or so and noise came back, however in the meantime a buddy of mine who works at BMW had a look at my car and noticed the subframe crack, hairline as it may be it's there. I call BMW to get it looked at, car was in the dealership for 2 weeks with me chasing them up asking about my car they kept saying it's in the body shop and waiting for the regional manager to get back to them, they finally get back to me saying the diff is gone and the "frame" is cracked, service manager kept saying I don't see how BMW wont help you out maybe hinting it will be covered under goodwill, anyway service manger calls me back saying "look we can fix your car but we want 5K for labour" btw that's only for subframe, I remained calm and told him that I think BMW should fix my car as this is not a failure of a spark plug or piston ring this is a design fault and should not be happening with a car that had 50k on the clock. anyway I spoke to BMW Australia that very day and once I explained who I was he became very defensive and said that because I reported a noise from the rear diff BMW are not liable to fix it under warranty "it does say that under their warranty handbook", I said define noise, he couldn't but because I complained about noise their not going to cover it and not fix the subframe either unless I pay 5K.

So I'm in a little need of help, I've noticed some class action complaints however it's in the US, I'm in Aus.

Anyone?? would love some ideas of what to do how to handle this.

Thanks

I'm unfortunately being screwed by BMW Australia atm
mtria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #113
sonaldinho89

My Ride: e90 325i 6MT
if you call up BMW Aus and tell them you have a subframe issue and you'd like to speak to the regional technical manager, they know exactly what you're talking about. The recptionist will ask the details of your car (they know more than most mechanics about it) and the regional tech guy will organise to inspect your car in person at one of the dealerships. At least that's how my, and several other peoples, experiences have gone. The dealerships will give you the runaround coz there's no money in it for them, and to be fair, it's not really their business, they are simply franchises run to retail and service the cars, and they are a separate entity to the BMW Group.
Just call up BMW australia directly (03 9264 4000)

hope that helps
Old 11-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #114
JohnMate

My Ride: What work gives me!
probably worth a mention too if you have aftermarket suspension swap it out for OEM mtria
Old 11-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #115
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Sorry to hear mate. Let then have a piece of your mind.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #116
mtria

Hi sonaldinho89 thanks for the advice, I did speak to BMW Aus on that number 03 9264 4000, the guy I spoke to was in warranty and he didn't like me by the end of the conversation, however he did know about my car, and said that's it's out of warranty it's old and why would BMW fix a 7yr old car? however he did say maybe we can help look at some cheaper options for you, So now I'm confused, they know about my car, they know the subframe is needing reapirs, why are they not covering it? is the regional tech guy also the regional manager? If so he's already inspected my car and I assume he's said to pay the 5k for labour.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #117
mtria

Hi JohnMate, The car is OEM, no extras or modifications what so ever and serviced at BMW. hopefully a new rear subframe modification soon 8P
Old 11-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #118
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtria View Post
Hi sonaldinho89 thanks for the advice, I did speak to BMW Aus on that number 03 9264 4000, the guy I spoke to was in warranty and he didn't like me by the end of the conversation, however he did know about my car, and said that's it's out of warranty it's old and why would BMW fix a 7yr old car? however he did say maybe we can help look at some cheaper options for you, So now I'm confused, they know about my car, they know the subframe is needing reapirs, why are they not covering it? is the regional tech guy also the regional manager? If so he's already inspected my car and I assume he's said to pay the 5k for labour.
They pulled the age card with my transmission on the 330i when that failed as the car was 5 years old with 68k or so. They didn't cover that repair but they did cover the M3 subframe without any fuss at all and my M3 was 4 years old at the time with 40k on the clock. Print off all this stuff from the web and show them like others have done - it can't hurt. I would agree with them about not repairing it on a old car if it was a once off failure, but this is a documented issue with these cars no matter what the age.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #119
Scotty_89

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
"In particular the early model coupes with manual transmissions..."

Ohhh jesus... 2001 coupe + manual + 150,000km's... I'm scared to go and look
Scotty_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #120
Nae323

My Ride: '99 323Ci 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_89 View Post
"In particular the early model coupes with manual transmissions..."

Ohhh jesus... 2001 coupe + manual + 150,000km's... I'm scared to go and look
Same here!

1999 coupe, manual, probably a bit more km's than yours.
Nae323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
litigation