E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #121
Scotty_89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 692
My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Ok, so I just had a quick peek and could not see any cracks.

Is it the front left or rear left mount out of the 4 that is most prone to tearing? The right hand side is easier to inspect, but the front left one has some other components that cover over the mounting point and it's hard to see, and the rear left is tucked in behind the exhaust.

Last edited by Scotty_89; 11-02-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Scotty_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #122
CortinaD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,055
My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_89 View Post
Ok, so I just had a quick peek and could not see any cracks.

Is it the front left or rear left mount out of the 4 that is most prone to tearing? The right hand side is easier to inspect, but the front left one has some other components that cover over the mounting point and it's hard to see, and the rear left is tucked in behind the exhaust.
RHS for ours. You really need to get in there with some degreaser and a dentists mirror & a torch, just poking your snout under for a casual look will only show you if its really bad.

Thats what they cut out of my car. Front Right is what failed, it was hardly visible with the subframe in.

CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #123
Nae323
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North East VIC
Posts: 572
My Ride: '99 323Ci 5sp
Definitely getting this checked next time I see the mechanic.
If this has already been replaced/repaired will it be easy to see/tell?
Nae323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:19 AM   #124
mtria
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 6
My Ride: 03 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortinaD View Post
They pulled the age card with my transmission on the 330i when that failed as the car was 5 years old with 68k or so. They didn't cover that repair but they did cover the M3 subframe without any fuss at all and my M3 was 4 years old at the time with 40k on the clock. Print off all this stuff from the web and show them like others have done - it can't hurt. I would agree with them about not repairing it on a old car if it was a once off failure, but this is a documented issue with these cars no matter what the age.
Hi CortinaD, What did you do excactly or say to cover the subframe repair? I assume you were out of warranty when you took the car in?
mtria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:28 AM   #125
CortinaD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,055
My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtria View Post
Hi CortinaD, What did you do excactly or say to cover the subframe repair? I assume you were out of warranty when you took the car in?
I had a couple of personal friends at the dealer at the time (they have since moved on) who helped me out so I am not a good example as their efforts definitely made the process easy & stress free process. Having said that - I was like the 2nd or 3rd car to be covered here and from what they say a year or so ago, 4 or so cars were repaired after mine before BMW started tightening the purse strings. But the process for me started with a phone call to my mate to tell him the bad news and he said bring the car in as is (i.e. lowered etc), they took a photo, sent it to BMW and heard back in a few hours that it was covered. I was told to drop car off in a week and I had it back 3 weeks after that.

The car was out of warranty by 1.5 years when i took it in as they only started doing the 3 year warranty in Jan 06 from memory. Either way it was out of warranty and was covered as good will.

EDIT: All I paid for was a wheel alignment afterwards at another joint arount the corner as BMWs alignment machine doesn't fit on the car with the superlows in.

Last edited by CortinaD; 11-03-2010 at 02:30 AM.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #126
mtria
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 6
My Ride: 03 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortinaD View Post
I had a couple of personal friends at the dealer at the time (they have since moved on) who helped me out so I am not a good example as their efforts definitely made the process easy & stress free process. Having said that - I was like the 2nd or 3rd car to be covered here and from what they say a year or so ago, 4 or so cars were repaired after mine before BMW started tightening the purse strings. But the process for me started with a phone call to my mate to tell him the bad news and he said bring the car in as is (i.e. lowered etc), they took a photo, sent it to BMW and heard back in a few hours that it was covered. I was told to drop car off in a week and I had it back 3 weeks after that.

The car was out of warranty by 1.5 years when i took it in as they only started doing the 3 year warranty in Jan 06 from memory. Either way it was out of warranty and was covered as good will.

EDIT: All I paid for was a wheel alignment afterwards at another joint arount the corner as BMWs alignment machine doesn't fit on the car with the superlows in.

Thanks for the quick respose and advice, I'll keep posting info as it come through.
mtria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #127
Rajvosa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,278
My Ride: M3
Cortina..yours cracked at the front? mine failed at the right rear and Dragan (ex owner) had it repaired and reinforced before we finalised the deal. nice of him!
where at the front do they fail? i wanna have a look when i get the chance..
Rajvosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #128
CortinaD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,055
My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvosa View Post
Cortina..yours cracked at the front? mine failed at the right rear and Dragan (ex owner) had it repaired and reinforced before we finalised the deal. nice of him!
where at the front do they fail? i wanna have a look when i get the chance..
Hey mate if you have a look at the 2nd photo it is the rhs front, the bushing covered most of it but there was the crack only visible by like 10mm on the right hand side of the bolt hole. You can see it go up and around the spot weld and then up again.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #129
Rajvosa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,278
My Ride: M3
can i see it if i get under the car or too many things in the way.
also if the rear was cracked slightly, is it a good chance that the front will also be?
Rajvosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #130
CortinaD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,055
My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvosa View Post
can i see it if i get under the car or too many things in the way.
also if the rear was cracked slightly, is it a good chance that the front will also be?
No idea but no doubt Dragan would have fixed it properly.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #131
Rajvosa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,278
My Ride: M3
He fixed the rear and put reinforcement plates in.

nothing was touched at the front tho..
Rajvosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #132
Brissyjohn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 345
My Ride: 2003 325ti
Raising the dead here I guess. A question was asked earlier (about post #98) as to whether this cracking also affected E46 Compacts. Has anyone heard or experienced subframe mount cracking in the 316ti, 318ti or 325ti?
Brissyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #133
BMW //MPOWER
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,917
My Ride: Not much...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brissyjohn View Post
Raising the dead here I guess. A question was asked earlier (about post #98) as to whether this cracking also affected E46 Compacts. Has anyone heard or experienced subframe mount cracking in the 316ti, 318ti or 325ti?
The 16 and 18's wouldn't have near enough power to cause the cracks, so if your concerned about one of them you shouldn't be.
I think the 25 would be just as succeptible as the coupes, however the primary cause of the cracks is usually the way the car has been driven.
__________________

BMW 325Ci MY2004 Individual //M Clubsport Edition, //M Clubsport package, //M Sport 18"s, Manual //M Short Shift, Carbon Black, Black Aluminium Cube Interior.
BMW //MPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #134
M3BAS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 200
My Ride: E46 M3
I notice a slight clunk from right rear when turning in carparks etc- is this a symptom of subframe?
__________________
2005 PY M3

M3BAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #135
ating
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,608
My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3BAS View Post
I notice a slight clunk from right rear when turning in carparks etc- is this a symptom of subframe?
are you sure it's not a noisy diff?
ating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #136
BMW //MPOWER
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,917
My Ride: Not much...
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3BAS View Post
I notice a slight clunk from right rear when turning in carparks etc- is this a symptom of subframe?
when did u last change your rtabs?
__________________

BMW 325Ci MY2004 Individual //M Clubsport Edition, //M Clubsport package, //M Sport 18"s, Manual //M Short Shift, Carbon Black, Black Aluminium Cube Interior.
BMW //MPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:35 AM   #137
Brissyjohn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 345
My Ride: 2003 325ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
The 16 and 18's wouldn't have near enough power to cause the cracks, so if your concerned about one of them you shouldn't be.
I think the 25 would be just as succeptible as the coupes, however the primary cause of the cracks is usually the way the car has been driven.
Thanks for that - gives me food for thought. I'll have to be sure to get a good PPI when/if I find the car for me.
Brissyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #138
M3BAS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 200
My Ride: E46 M3
RTAB's have been changed, i'll get workshop to inspect when it goes for service in couple weeks.
__________________
2005 PY M3

M3BAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #139
Aussiemark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tasmania
Posts: 12
My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
Hi,
I realise that this is an old thread but would be greatful for any assistance that anyone can provide. I have a 2002 E46 M3 that has done 90,000km. It has never been tracked, launched or crashed. It has developed a crack in the right rear trailing arm mount. BMW Australia haven't decided yet if they will help with the cost of repair.

Could anyone with experience or advice please PM me?

Thanks and regards,

Mark
Aussiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #140
LSM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 659
My Ride: E46 ///M3
If you get the car inspected at a dealer, make sure it is as original as possible.

When mine was inspected they went right through it, had it on a hoist, checked the service history, compared what it came out of the factory with and what it had at the time of inspection (ie wheels) - even the thickness of the paint.

You want to make sure you have the best chance of getting a positive response. So if you have different wheels or suspension components - put it back to stock!
__________________
___________________________________________


2006 CS M3 | ESS Tune : CSL SMG tune : Eisenmann Race : Eibach : Tekarbon
LSM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
litigation

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use