E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #21
JSanders

My Ride: Breaks too often
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollotrance1 View Post
after seeing all these pics, it really doesnt seem like it can be too hard for some people. I think I might consider doing this later down the road when I am ready to change my bushings
It really wasn't. The welding/cutting is what frightens people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaz View Post
Very nice write up
Gratzie!
Old 08-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #22
RicardoGomezH

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP
Hi,
How did you determine that the subframe was cracked if it was not easily visible?

If you're having a problem with subframe, i'm sure most of your are aware of the class action settlement for E46 subframe which promises to fix this problem.

www.E46subframeclassactionsettlement.com

Great write up though.

Last edited by RicardoGomezH; 08-28-2009 at 04:27 PM.
RicardoGomezH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #23
JSanders

If you read the OP it shows a 4 inch crack in the drivers side rear mount in step 28. You can see it if you know where to look under the car.

Last edited by JSanders; 08-28-2009 at 11:55 PM.
JSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #24
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
Props man! Great write up. (Instead of tackling my last car's issues... got a new one )
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #25
JSanders

nice.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #26
bluone25

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330 CI
Send a message via Yahoo to bluone25
Great DIY but a lot of work! That's why I leave everything to the pros! lol
bluone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:57 AM   #27
JSanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluone25 View Post
Great DIY but a lot of work! That's why I leave everything to the pros! lol
The only problem have with that I don't trust any shops I can afford!! LOL
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #28
WidowFactory

My Ride: '99 328i
Thanks to this excellent DIY i'm half way through this - I have the car dismantled and am waiting for the welder to come this weekend... The crack looks worse than yours, it is a good 6 inches long but thankfully it is only the passenger side rear contact point that is cracked. I had tonnes of trouble trying to get the bushes out, so i had to resort to taking them down to the local garage (had my RTAB bushes done too). Can't wait to get this all sorted then I can drive my car without worrying about the knocking from the back anymore!

I have to say taking the rear suspension apart isn't as difficult as i first thought - if you can do your VANOS seals you can do this DIY too (assuming you get someone else to do the welding + cutting)
WidowFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 PM   #29
wenlyone

My Ride: 330M?
are the coupe and sedan kits the same? I am looking around for kits and I only see kits for 330ci and m3.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #30
WidowFactory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenlyone View Post
are the coupe and sedan kits the same? I am looking around for kits and I only see kits for 330ci and m3.
There is only one kit for the e46

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TDR4675412
Old 01-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #31
JSanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowFactory View Post
Thanks to this excellent DIY i'm half way through this - I have the car dismantled and am waiting for the welder to come this weekend... The crack looks worse than yours, it is a good 6 inches long but thankfully it is only the passenger side rear contact point that is cracked. I had tonnes of trouble trying to get the bushes out, so i had to resort to taking them down to the local garage (had my RTAB bushes done too). Can't wait to get this all sorted then I can drive my car without worrying about the knocking from the back anymore!

I have to say taking the rear suspension apart isn't as difficult as i first thought - if you can do your VANOS seals you can do this DIY too (assuming you get someone else to do the welding + cutting)
I'm glad someone is getting some use out of this. You will feel like you have a brand new car when it's finished!
Old 01-25-2010, 05:38 AM   #32
02gtstang

My Ride: 2005 zhp coupe
i need to do this very soon. i have a bad subframe bushings and im hoping i dont have any cracks.

my only problem is i am not the best of welders and wouldnt trust my welding on that, i only trust it on exhuast. lol. i wish i could take out the subframe and take it to a shop to weld it but its kinda hard getting a car with no rear wheels towed without damage.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #33
WidowFactory

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I'm glad someone is getting some use out of this. You will feel like you have a brand new car when it's finished!
Yeah you saved me about 600 so it was worth it! I finished up putting it together, took me 6 weeks because real life kept getting in the way! I took it out for it's maiden voyage and realised my brake pedal was going all the way to floor so i must not have bled it properly. I took it back home, and broke one of the bleed nipples off I popped a screw extracter in the hole and tried to get it out, but that snapped off too So now i'm waiting for an ebay caliper so i can finally get my beloved car back... I took some pictures, i'll put them up once i get them off my phone
Old 02-05-2010, 12:21 AM   #34
JSanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02gtstang View Post
i need to do this very soon. i have a bad subframe bushings and im hoping i dont have any cracks.

my only problem is i am not the best of welders and wouldnt trust my welding on that, i only trust it on exhuast. lol. i wish i could take out the subframe and take it to a shop to weld it but its kinda hard getting a car with no rear wheels towed without damage.
The guy that did the welding on my car came from UT Tyler's welding program, the top of his class. If you have a local college with a welding program, you should go talk to one of the teachers to find out who his best welding student is and offer him a few bucks to do the job. People are always looking for ways to make money now a days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowFactory View Post
Yeah you saved me about 600 so it was worth it! I finished up putting it together, took me 6 weeks because real life kept getting in the way! I took it out for it's maiden voyage and realised my brake pedal was going all the way to floor so i must not have bled it properly. I took it back home, and broke one of the bleed nipples off I popped a screw extracter in the hole and tried to get it out, but that snapped off too So now i'm waiting for an ebay caliper so i can finally get my beloved car back... I took some pictures, i'll put them up once i get them off my phone
I hope you get it going soon!

Last edited by JSanders; 02-12-2010 at 07:46 PM.
JSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #35
tonggi

My Ride: AW M3
good work man.

Tristate M3 Owners. If you want interval oil changes for $95 OEM oil/filter included.PM me.
Need help with Suspension, RTABs, FCABs, Brakes, maintenance? PM me! M3F Profile
tonggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #36
JSanders

Old 08-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #37

My Ride: bike
what gauge steel do they use in the kit you buy? i got a cheap e46 and the shts so ripped up i might just make my own and see how it goes. im guessin at least 12gauge
7808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:33 AM   #38
JSanders

I want to say 14, but it's been a while. It's definately something you could fab yourself if you have the tools.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #39
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
nice writeup. exactly what I plan to do, but did you really have to disconnect the brake lines? why not just hang the calipers and then you don't have to worry about bleeding them later? good thing I can weld to.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:46 AM   #40
JSanders

The only way to suspend them in the air would be to run wire threw a bolt hole in the chassis, which you could do. I just disconnected them because my brakes were due for a bleeding anyway.