E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #61
m_guimont

My Ride: 2000 323i Sedan
DIY is helping a good amount thanks to the op/

And whoever said you need a TIG welder to do this... is wrong. MIG is over the top strong enough for this. I've welded thicker than 0.25" plate with MIG. All depends on your welding setup and the welding machine.

Although it seems I have a slightly steeper mountain to climb.

To anyone who was wondering why you need to cut into the trunk as part of the reinforcement kit... here's why.

m_guimont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #62
JSanders

My Ride: Breaks too often
Ouch... Looks like your car has seen a bit of salt.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #63
m_guimont

Welcome to ontario, canada.... the streets are ligitimately white for a few weeks after the snow clears in larger cities from salt residue.

Subframe cleaned up nicely though, and the metal under the car is still solid everywhere. just tore out where the cracks started i guess.

Side note: spoke to a local BMW dealer and the service manager was helpful but stated due to the age of the vehicle, BMW now typically only covers about 20 % of the repair costs (in other words still around 3000 out of my pocket... at least)

Last edited by m_guimont; 10-17-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #64
Levim9

My Ride: S54 325i
This diy looks very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to put this together JSanders

I'm too busy at the moment to tackle this but I'll have some downtime in December. I'll be using my MIG welder and I'm putting in an M3 rear end. It's just sitting on a pallet waiting to go in my car..I'm so excited for this!

Slicktop - S54 - 6MT - 3.62 LSD - Active Tuned - JVT Headers - TMS Tracksport Coils - Hotchkis M3 Swaybars (IG - LEVIM9)
Levim9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #65
JSanders

Lucky you!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #66
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Don't see any signs of cracks but going to do the reinforcement anyway (plus, replace all the bushings). Thanks for the writeup!
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #67
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
I'm going to be reinforcing my subframe, plus replacing all the bushings in the rear sometime over the winter. Just wondering what you did to protect the DME from the welder being hooked up to the chassis? Did you yank it out? What about any other electronics? Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I rip it apart and call the welder in. I am more than capable of doing the mechanical side of things and stripping it all down for the welding, but I know absolutely nothing about welding, I'm just assuming that it would be a good idea to pull the electronics out?
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #68
m_guimont

meh, debatable.

I know i'm going to get flamed for this, but I performed all the welding on the vehicle chassis with the DME and all other modules still connected; keeping in mind the welder was grounded at the rear of the vehicle where I was performing the work. If you want to put the extra time in, it's worth it to remove it for peace of mind, but to be honest I was at my wits end with this piece of **** car and didn't care. Only reason I put the time in to fix it was because it was my daily and am in no financial position to be dropping money on a new vehicle.

Bottom line, you don't HAVE to and it most likely won't damage anything, but it can't hurt.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #69
gambit4000s

My Ride: iT
Question for those that paid to have the TMS kit installed, who installed it for you, and what did you pay?
gambit4000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #70
blacktalons

My Ride: BMW
Hey, new to the forum on here. Great DIY!! Besides the welding, I'm now confident that my father and I can do it all ourselves in a few day period. I would like to replace the subframe bushings, diff bushings and flex disc while I'm at it though. Bushings are going to be a PAIN I can tell. But I'm really wondering what the the guy above asked...besides the battery, what other electronics should I disconnect?? I'm worried about the ECU and junk up front. If anyone knows, please help!
blacktalons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #71
JSanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejeunebimmer View Post
I'm going to be reinforcing my subframe, plus replacing all the bushings in the rear sometime over the winter. Just wondering what you did to protect the DME from the welder being hooked up to the chassis? Did you yank it out? What about any other electronics? Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I rip it apart and call the welder in. I am more than capable of doing the mechanical side of things and stripping it all down for the welding, but I know absolutely nothing about welding, I'm just assuming that it would be a good idea to pull the electronics out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktalons View Post
Hey, new to the forum on here. Great DIY!! Besides the welding, I'm now confident that my father and I can do it all ourselves in a few day period. I would like to replace the subframe bushings, diff bushings and flex disc while I'm at it though. Bushings are going to be a PAIN I can tell. But I'm really wondering what the the guy above asked...besides the battery, what other electronics should I disconnect?? I'm worried about the ECU and junk up front. If anyone knows, please help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_guimont View Post
meh, debatable.

I know i'm going to get flamed for this, but I performed all the welding on the vehicle chassis with the DME and all other modules still connected; keeping in mind the welder was grounded at the rear of the vehicle where I was performing the work. If you want to put the extra time in, it's worth it to remove it for peace of mind, but to be honest I was at my wits end with this piece of **** car and didn't care. Only reason I put the time in to fix it was because it was my daily and am in no financial position to be dropping money on a new vehicle.

Bottom line, you don't HAVE to and it most likely won't damage anything, but it can't hurt.

Before I performed this DIY, I had the same question, so I talked to a body guy who had been in the business for over 10 years. Long story short, he told me in his career he had never removed any electronics from a vehicle before welding on the body or chasis. Just disconnect the battery and everything will be fine.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #72
FM3T10

My Ride: E46
Great DIY OP!

One question, you guys think if I take the car in to a BMW dealership they'll do the subframe re-inforcing free of charge? I highly doubt my car needs it at the moment (I hope not), but I'd definitely wouldn't mind getting it out of the way. I just don't see it happening though.

Me: Walks into dealersip
Dealer: Hello, how can we help you?
Me: I need my rear subframe reinforced at no charge!
Dealer:
FM3T10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #73
RockerGuy

My Ride: Not a BMW
I just saw this and thats some crazy sh1t.
I secretly wish I had the time and skill to attempt this.

Well done! Well Done!!!
RockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #74
NyC35AV

My Ride: 99' 323i zsp
I love this! Think its time to Start ordering parts. Then set about doing this in the spring or summer.
NyC35AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #75
RockerGuy

My Ride: Not a BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyC35AV View Post
I love this! Think its time to Start ordering parts. Then set about doing this in the spring or summer.
I need to grow a pair of balls before I start ordering parts
RockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #76
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
I need to grow a pair of balls before I start ordering parts
Well, miss, the current level of surgery development is already good enough for this!
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #77
Ilarum

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit4000s View Post
Question for those that paid to have the TMS kit installed, who installed it for you, and what did you pay?
Anyone willing to chime in? I took the car to a shop today, and replacing the subframe piece itself is going to cost about $4k. Not really worth it for me, so I'm looking at the TMS option. How would you go about finding a good welder and how much would they charge for this type of thing? Thanks.
Ilarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #78
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to choleaoum
racewerkz in irwindale charges 1000$, im going to attempt this diy myself when i fix my welder lol the wire feed is jammed

Last edited by choleaoum; 09-13-2012 at 01:11 PM.
choleaoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #79
m3dragon

My Ride: CSL M3 / 1M
Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
So you do have to drop the fuel tank to do this job?

NorCal drive organizer guy
Drive database and photo locations
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion
E46 M3 GTR Street Car - Build Journal
m3dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #80
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
No