E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
gldtn

My Ride: 99 E46 328i M52
Engine Light : Fuel Tempature Sensor?

Hello everyone,

My engine light came on a couple of weeks ago and I went down to autozone an they put the engine light machine on for me to see what it was. Their machine came out with troubleshooting code P1188 & P1189.. So I went on the net a did a search to see what that meant and I found out that it has something to do with the "Fuel Tempature Sensor B Circuit High Input" for the P1188 code. As for the P1189 it said "Fuel Tempature Sensor B Circuit Intermittet".

Does Anyone know exactly what that means and what needs to be changed here in this scenario?

Thanks!
gldtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Bodo61

My Ride: 323i
From what I can see you have the M52 eng? P1188 Fuel Control (Bank 1 Sensor 1) P1189 Fuel Control (Bank 2 sensor 1). I had this issue a while back and it turned out to be a vacuum leak under the throttle assy. I would check for a vacuum leak first.
Bodo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by gldtn View Post
Hello everyone,

My engine light came on a couple of weeks ago and I went down to autozone an they put the engine light machine on for me to see what it was. Their machine came out with troubleshooting code P1188 & P1189.. So I went on the net a did a search to see what that meant and I found out that it has something to do with the "Fuel Tempature Sensor B Circuit High Input" for the P1188 code. As for the P1189 it said "Fuel Tempature Sensor B Circuit Intermittet".

Does Anyone know exactly what that means and what needs to be changed here in this scenario?

Thanks!

Your car is rich or lean you need to look at additive and multiplicative values and determine your next course of testing.

I posted some DIY smoke machines testing somewhere. You can also use carb clean but it not accurate but it may find the leak

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Last edited by jbeurotech; 08-25-2009 at 09:50 PM.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
gldtn

Good question Bodo61.. I'm still trying to figure out my whole car. Lol, I bought the car without knowing much about BMW's, just now I'm getting to know a bit more about BMW engines. Well, so far I know that I have a E46 pre-facelift which is a 1999 E46 328i. How can I look up all my engine info, etc..? Also can I check for a vacuum leak or check with a mechanic?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
gldtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Your car is rich or leN you need to look at additive and multiocative values and determain your next course of testing.
Not too sure about what you meant, since I new to most of this stuff. Do you mean I should add additive to my fuel? multiocative values? Sorry I think I'm really lost here :/
Old 08-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Not too sure about what you meant, since I new to most of this stuff. Do you mean I should add additive to my fuel? multiocative values? Sorry I think I'm really lost here :/
The better known term although not realy the same is SHORT TERM and LONG TERM fuel trim

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
gldtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
The better known term although not realy the same is SHORT TERM and LONG TERM fuel trim
Ok, I did a quick search on the net and found this page which explains fuel trim pretty good, I think! Lol at least I learned a bit about all of this fuel stuff. I also did a searched on your DIY and found the diagram, not sure if I'm going to try it out(don't want to f* anything up), but this definitely pointed me to the right direction!

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
Bodo61

In my case I didn't want to start throwing money at parts so I took it to a BMW mechanic. He sprayed "carb cleaner" near the throttle area (all ducting, hoses connected) and the engine responded in turn. Hence a vacuum leak in the area. You see a lot of people on this site throw money at parts to fix a problem and then still have the problem. The smart money sometimes is to take it to a mechanic that can solve the issue. I'm all for the DIY when I'm sure of the fix.

You also need to purchase a Bentley manual.
Bodo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
OCX

Quote:
Good question Bodo61.. I'm still trying to figure out my whole car. Lol, I bought the car without knowing much about BMW's, just now I'm getting to know a bit more about BMW engines. Well, so far I know that I have a E46 pre-facelift which is a 1999 E46 328i. How can I look up all my engine info, etc..? Also can I check for a vacuum leak or check with a mechanic?

Thanks for the reply!
For Engine diagrams and etc you can go to http://www.realoem.com and then put in your vin and voila

Tags
engine, fuel, light, sensor, tempature