E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 01:08 AM   #221
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Please do not fabricate stories or make any futher uneducated comments on the DICE systems, it's starting to get out of control.

The DICE kits will display text on all e46 Business Cassette/CD radios.
Tom relax man!
You take our criticism of the DICE unit way too personally.
Your job is to sell the units and deal with customer relations. I assume you don't personally make them in a factory and you had nothing to do with the person that designed and invented the DICE.

As BMW owners and DICE consumers me and Steve paid money for DICE kits which we used for a period of time in our cars before we realized the USA-Spec was better suited for our needs.

While I personally can't speak for Steve's disappointments with the DICE, for me it was the clean simplicity of the USA-Spec kit (5 Playlists & Random-Play All with a Direct Mode) that I found best suited for me when I also have at my command BMW Sirius, Aux In, MP3 Playback, GPS Navigation and integrated Bluetooth all in my car to play with.

That said, driving comes above all other things in my car when I am driving. I paid a lot of freaking money for a car that is functional, fast and fun to drive, and focusing on that is my prime directive when I get behind the wheel. IPods, MP3 devices, Cellphones, GPS, drinking Coffee, Babies and buddies in the back seat, Chatty girlfriends in the passenger seats are all secondary to my driving.

So when I tell people that I PREFER not to have pricey Spec Docks cluttering my console area and having to manage dozens of playlists whiles driving this criticism HAS NOTHING TO DO with YOU nor should it be censored or subject to attacks by you or ANY OTHER SPONSORS on this site!!!

I understand the NEED for Sponsors and for our public forum web site to receive advert money from sponsors and various annoying pop ups and what not to pay bills but when my online commercials start questioning my freedoms of speech I gotta drop the hammer down!

If someone ask me or Steve for our opinions, as ACTUAL consumers and users of the BOTH the DICE and the USA-Spec we have something called a Freedom of Speech and rights as responsible-trusted-adult-members of this forum to GIVE OUR OPINIONS as it pertains to our usage of said devices.

I'm not sure why this aggravates you so much.

You are a SPONSOR and your main and only function on the forums is to advertise your webstore and handle customer relations and other issues as it pertains to YOUR web store and private retail business!

So I have no idea how or what member's opinion on one specific device affect you or your business. We are not even critiquing your business or webstore. In fact, I am one of your biggest supporters on a few of these BMW forums.

But I think it is very unfair when Sponsors attack members that critique their products.

Like I said before, if Foot Locker only sold Nike and people complained about the quality of Nike footwear I don't think Foot Locker, as a successful business, would argue with their customers. As a successful and honest business I would assume Foot Locker will try to sell alternative sneaker brands like Adidas and Reeboks for people that don't want Nike.

I don't have an MBA Degree but that line of thinking pretty much seems most logical to me.

Tom I've always supported your business by buying from you and referring many customers to you but it confuses me why you get so offended by us reviewing something that you are only involved in selling.

It is an argument that is literally ridiculous as me writing on a bathroom wall that I hated the Iron Man 2 movie and Lowe's Critereon Cinema gets on the 10 o'clock News to attack me for not liking a product that they had nothing to do with making, marketing, or distributing.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 05-19-2010 at 01:35 AM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:19 AM   #222
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
"Tom relax man!
Your job is to sell the units and deal with customer relations. I assume you don't personally make them in a factory and you had nothing to do with the person that designed and invented the DICE."

Actually, I think tom or someone from EAS has mentioned awhile back that they do have a personal connection, ties, and strong loyalty to the DICE folks from way back. That, in part, explains where their coming from (thought perhaps they go a little overboard).

That's just fine by me, they are loyal to a company/partner and from what I've heard they give good customer service. You just have to know what and when to take some things with a grain of salt.

Though I chose not to buy DICE personally, I have directed people to consider buying from EAS and I'm sure at some point I'll make my first EAS purchase on a couple items I'm interested in (just wary of S&H costs to Canada, sadly).
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #223
Andrews2nd3

My Ride: 1999 328I Manual/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Tom relax man!
Your job is to sell the units and deal with customer relations. I assume you don't personally make them in a factory and you had nothing to do with the person that designed and invented the DICE.
He's defending a product that his company sells, and I'd expect him to get a little worked up, or 'passionate', after spending years defending the product. I don't think I could do his job without going crazy, the man answers the same questions over and over and over and does provide good support, IMO. But, providing top-notch support should be the standard for any company that wants to stay in business. If you carry a product that is buggy, you're going to need to be ready to be there to support folks.

With that being said, the DICE has some serious flaws that I've experienced first hand. I hate mine, actually. It's buggy as hell. Based on my experiences, and those that I have read of others, I will never recommend the DICE to anybody. I'm going to try and do the ground loop isolator (which I won't buy from EAS, I don't want to give them more of my business for selling an inferior product in the first place), and if that does not eliminate the hissing noise I'll be doing the PA-12.

I wanted a product that I had to install and play with once. I don't want to keep f*ing with it to get it right.

Last edited by Andrews2nd3; 05-20-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: typo
Andrews2nd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #224
SmoKeNfLY

My Ride: AW ///M3 & SLK350
Hmm, I have the dice and I like it for what it is. I also want to get a iPod adapter for my '06 SLK but the DICE is so expensive for that car. Does anyone know if USA-Spec has one for it? Thanks guys
Old 05-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #225
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #226
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoKeNfLY View Post
Hmm, I have the dice and I like it for what it is. I also want to get a iPod adapter for my '06 SLK but the DICE is so expensive for that car. Does anyone know if USA-Spec has one for it? Thanks guys
Nope, USA-Spec only compatible up to the 2005.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:21 AM   #227
SmoKeNfLY

My Ride: AW ///M3 & SLK350
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Nope, USA-Spec only compatible up to the 2005.
Doh, are there any Mercedes iPod options besides DICE?
Old 05-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #228
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
Question

I assume it is plug & play like the Dice?
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #229
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoKeNfLY View Post
Doh, are there any Mercedes iPod options besides DICE?
I'm sorry, I do not know. Delmarco, do you know of any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTOR View Post
I assume it is plug & play like the Dice?
You are asking about the USA-Spec, right?

Yes, it is Plug & Play. Pop fuses 7 & 41 (I think those are the two radio fuses) and do the hookup & reinstall the fuses. Done.

Disconnecting the battery is not necessary. In 14 months I have never had to disconnect the battery to reset the USA-Spec.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #230
solar17

My Ride: 2003 525i
Text in the wrong location with PA12-BMW!

I've been following this thread with much interest, and I took the plunge and bought a PA12-BMW. I have a 2003 525i.

Plugged it into the trunk and left the ipod there - took 2 minutes. Everything works fine, but the song information displays on the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER not on the radio.

I have no idea why this is happening. I called USA-Spec and they didn't have anything to suggest.

I fully realize this is an E46 site, but this was one of the most informative threads about the USA-Spec on the web, so I thought I'd post here. Maybe it's a car model thing.

I gather the DICE allows you to switch the text location from cluster to radio, so it should be possible with the USA-SPEC too...

Does anyone have any suggestions? (Scott?)

Thanks!
solar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #231
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar17 View Post
I've been following this thread with much interest, and I took the plunge and bought a PA12-BMW. I have a 2003 525i.

Plugged it into the trunk and left the ipod there - took 2 minutes. Everything works fine, but the song information displays on the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER not on the radio.

I have no idea why this is happening. I called USA-Spec and they didn't have anything to suggest.

I fully realize this is an E46 site, but this was one of the most informative threads about the USA-Spec on the web, so I thought I'd post here. Maybe it's a car model thing.

I gather the DICE allows you to switch the text location from cluster to radio, so it should be possible with the USA-SPEC too...

Does anyone have any suggestions? (Scott?)

Thanks!
Geesh - I have no idea. I hope someone else here can help.

I did read a long time ago about the song text being displayed on the instrement cluster display with the Dice & I thought it was HU dependent. That was before I installed my first Dice & I remember being disappointed that it didn't display there in my car - lol. In my car I have never had text display anywhere other than the HU with both products.

I was not aware that it was an selectible option with either product. You have made me curious. I will do some digging. Do you have the original HU in your 2003 525?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #232
steve.325i

Ok, I learned something. Looks like the Dice does have the option. I found two links: The first one is a Dice in a 2003 540i with nav.

http://www.gunsmoke.com/cars/540i/dice/index.html
http://bavariansoundwerks.com/produc...e_-_X5_E53.pdf

I can't find any reference to the USA-Spec having the same capability. The USA-Spec guys should have been able to help.

Two questions:
1. what ipod/firmware are you using? Just curious.
2. did you pull the radio fuses (7&41) when you did the install? Maybe the HU did not properly detect the PA12-BMW without a clean power-on.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #233
okeydokey

My Ride: 2000 328ci TopazBlau
Can a e46 display radio info on the cluster? That might be a 5 series thing.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:22 AM   #234
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
Can a e46 display radio info on the cluster? That might be a 5 series thing.
Some late model E46 came with a highline dash, capable of displaying text, but it was very very rare. It has the same iBus address as the MID on an E39 I think. Messages sent to the E39 MID would appear on the highline dash possibly. Although it's early and I have'nt had much coffee yet and could be wrong.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #235
dhart_70

My Ride: 2006 330ci
Send a message via MSN to dhart_70
My two cents. I read many many reviews before selecting the USA Spec vs Dice. It was mostly because of the issues discussed here and on other threads, plus the fact I have a USA Spec in my Taurus that I went with the USA Spec. I haven't run it all the way to the cabin, but literally I had it installed in 10 minutes and have had no issues either with function or sound. I'm sure the Dice is just as easy to install, but being that this is now my second install with the USA Spec, the first one at least 4 years ago, I would go with the USA Spec just because I know there are no long term issues with my first one. I'm hoping the same holds true for my new one.
dhart_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:05 AM   #236
///BeckeR

My Ride: 03 TiAg 330i ZHP
I'm sorry if this has been asked before (which I'm sure it has) but is there an option with the USA SPEC to randomly play through all of the songs on the ipod? and can you skip to the next random track with the steering wheel controls?
///BeckeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #237
wibymx5

My Ride: 330ci
Does anybody know if the spec works with the Iphone 4?
wibymx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #238
Performedbeef

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adb1028 View Post
I'm sorry if this has been asked before (which I'm sure it has) but is there an option with the USA SPEC to randomly play through all of the songs on the ipod? and can you skip to the next random track with the steering wheel controls?
Yes. I only assign 4 playlists to the buttons on the head unit, so pressing number 5 plays all songs, sorted by song title. Press 5 and then the random button, and it shuffles all songs. Steering wheel controls work as well as HU controls.
Performedbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #239
///BeckeR

My Ride: 03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Performedbeef View Post
Yes. I only assign 4 playlists to the buttons on the head unit, so pressing number 5 plays all songs, sorted by song title. Press 5 and then the random button, and it shuffles all songs. Steering wheel controls work as well as HU controls.
Thanks for the reply, I have one more question. The HU in my car is a March 2003 production date, is this unit capable of displaying rolling text?

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
///BeckeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #240
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb1028 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I have one more question. The HU in my car is a March 2003 production date, is this unit capable of displaying rolling text?
Yup. I think all the e46 HU's can do this.

I have a February 2003 with a Business CD "Alpine CD53" HU and it scrolls.