E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #41
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
I discovered this (and posted about it) with regards to the Dice and the Sirius slave cable. It you are slaving a Sirius or Changer off the Dice, its easy to swap pins 2 and 3 on the factory slave cable... That clears up the noise issue with that too...
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #42
wat3rbug

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325 xi
Does anyone have the link to that DIY? It may fix the issue with the DICE locking up my K-bus and producing noise when it did work.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #43
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Awesome Steve!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #44
Arsevader

My Ride: '90 325i, '02 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Not if he wanted to keep his changer or Sirius...
Didn't think keeping the changer was an option with either interface as it uses the changer connector.

- James

'85 E30 325e
'90 E30 325i
'02 E46 325it
'03 E46 320i

'96 Volvo 850R

Arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #45
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsevader View Post
Didn't think keeping the changer was an option with either interface as it uses the changer connector.
Yes, you are correct. the iPod interface consumes the CD changer interface whether the trunk or the radio connection method is used.

I know sna77 know that. He has quite a bit of debug experience with the various interfaces, so I assume it was just a slip.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #46
soulchild

My Ride: 00' Civic si (DD)
I'm interested in this USA spec but there are 2 versions... what is the DSP-style radio?
soulchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #47
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchild View Post
I'm interested in this USA spec but there are 2 versions... what is the DSP-style radio?
If you have a DSP radio in your car, then you will need the DSP version of the PA12-BMW

I just have the standard Business CD radio so I installed the standard version.

All of the different manufactures make a dsp specific version. I don't know much about it.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #48
E46Moonlight

My Ride: 2000 323i
USA-Spec FTW i had it for over a year now with no problems. I'm able to use all steering wheel controls, radio controls and navigate through the ipod touch with no problems.
E46Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #49
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Moonlight View Post
USA-Spec FTW i had it for over a year now with no problems. I'm able to use all steering wheel controls, radio controls and navigate through the ipod touch with no problems.
I have had my PA12-BMW in since April. Ditto, I love it.

What is FTW?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #50
zhp pilot
Falling from 14k ft.

My Ride: is totaled :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
I have had my PA12-BMW in since April. Ditto, I love it.

What is FTW?
For the win.

zhp pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:57 AM   #51
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchild View Post
Quote:
If you have a DSP radio in your car, then you will need the DSP version of the PA12-BMW

I just have the standard Business CD radio so I installed the standard version.
DSP = Digital Sound Processing. An option on the 5 & 7. Never on any e46 3, so no need to worry about it...
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #52
steve.325i

Thanks sna77.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #53
jong325ci

My Ride: 325ci
Installation USA SPEC

Just wandering if we have INSTALLATION GUIDE using the trunk or head unit....
jong325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:10 AM   #54
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong325ci View Post
Just wandering if we have INSTALLATION GUIDE using the trunk or head unit....
No they don't have an installation guide, but you can follow the same procedure as the Dice install.

What I have learned with USA-Spec is that you never really have to touch the iPod at all. Honestly, the complete install can remain in the trunk. There is absolutely no need to route anything inside the passenger compartment.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #55
steve.325i

I just stumbled on to this. This is awesome !!!

Old 11-20-2009, 12:50 AM   #56
dudelove

My Ride: Hybrid E46
In 99-00 year 3 Series, operation of the DICE kit requires two button presses for each operation (ex. Press "Next" twice, "Artist" twice, etc..).

Do you know if the USA Spec has this issue with 99-00 head units?

EDIT:
I read the manual and the USA Spec has the same issue as DICE for the older head units ("rectangular shape faceplate"). You go to "single press mode" by disabling the text display.

EDIT2:
The newer units that have been shipping for about a year do not have this issue. They fixed the double-press issue for the older HU!

Last edited by dudelove; 12-16-2009 at 03:00 PM.
dudelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #57
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
I know what you mean. Hit the wrong button with the Dice & you have just lost your spot in your play list.

The USA-Spec remembers the last played position in all four playlists ... even when you remove the iPod for reprogramming.
That actually may have just sold me.

1. I don't need 50 playlists and I definately do not have a max of 4 playlist on my iPod BUT I do like how SPEC handles the 4 Playlists via the ease of scrolling thru long playlist and bookmarking the spot in each playlist.
I won't enjoy having 50 playlists in my Head Unit via the DICE and having to scroll thru to find my last spot on the list.

2. I'm a simple guy that like to have my lists set and once the iPod is plugged in and ready to go all I want to do is press PLAY and possible FFD and RWD.

3. I don't have a habit of indexing thru playlists while I'm driving. I like to have it set up already.

4. Sound quality with complete lack of audio hissing is important to me as I listen to podcasts and lectures in-car and would hate to have that old school tape recorder background hiss all the time.

That said, I would most likely use my iPod/Car connection for listening to my lectures and podcasts which usually have hour long blocks of sound file and it seems the SPEC robs me the ability to rwd and fwd inside the sound file as it is playing. I would hate to miss a sentence or joke and have no way of rwd back to the last minute in the podcast.

But Steve told me, as he should've made clear in his videos, that whiles it may be a CON, and a big fcuking CON at that, the SPEC allows you to press 6 and access the file on your iPod. Which for me may not be good as I have the forever-slippery-when-driving iPod Touch to contend with.

The DICE sounds like something that is a passing FAD that everyone will say they had until something came along that was better. So far the SPEC is winning out for my money. AND you are telling me IT COST LESS....it's a done deal dot com mates!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 11-21-2009 at 06:37 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #58
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
So where is the best place to buy one of these? I had a Dice Silverline and it never worked right, the thing just frustrated me every time I used it.

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #59
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJRMatt330 View Post
wait so does anyone have the DIY for switching pin2 and pin3 in the trunk interface of the DICE in order to stop the dit-dit-dit sound that is so very annoying?
Towards the bottom:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=689846

Just open this cable... On the side facing up in your photo, take a pocket screwdriver and push the plastic connector over the top of the tab that is visible near the white with tan wire (you can see this tab in your photo). You can then pull the wiring with internal plastic connector from the outer locking shell.

Detail:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
+1 also, does this "pin swap" work if you don't have Sirius? Or is it only for the applications where Sirius is being used?
Yes... but you'd have to swap the pins on the CD changers connection to the Dice.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #60
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsevader View Post
Quote:
Yes, you are correct. the iPod interface consumes the CD changer interface whether the trunk or the radio connection method is used.

I know sna77 know that. He has quite a bit of debug experience with the various interfaces, so I assume it was just a slip.
Oops... I meant just Sirius, not CD changer.

You can keep the CD changer and Sirius, or Sirius and Dice, but not Dice and CD changer...