E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #61
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
Anyone successfully used the USA SPEC or GROM with the factory Navigation system? I heard there are lots of problems if you have the Nav., which I (unfortunately) do.
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #62
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
On Crutchfield.com it says the USA Spec PA12-BMW is not compatible with my car.
I have a 2001 330ci 'vert with the HK business cd radio (no nav or dsp), shouldn't it work?

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #63
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason330cic View Post
I have a 2001 330ci 'vert with the HK business cd radio (no nav or dsp), shouldn't it work?
I think Crutchfield is doing it based on the supposed CD53 that may have came with your car. I have an 2006 Alpine Business CD53 in my 2001 BMW so when I go on Crutchfield I input I have a 2005 or 2006 BMW 3 series for it to recognize my unit as Alpine and not Blaupunkt.

So the DICE has shortcomings, the OEM kit has shortcomings and teh USA-SPEC has shortcomings....

what about the GROM kits?

At this point I prefer the USA-SPEC over anything else due to price, lack of bugs and bookmark features but the installation seems tedious if you want the iPod in your Glovebox.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #64
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason330cic View Post
If you go to www.usaspec.com & type in 2001, 3 series, then it does come up with the PA12-BMW.

Other people on this thread have it innstalled with a pre-2003 business cd.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #65
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
But Steve told me, as he should've made clear in his videos, that whiles it may be a CON, and a big fcuking CON at that, the SPEC allows you to press 6 and access the file on your iPod.
Very sorry ... I have many faults ... just ask my wife
Old 11-22-2009, 01:12 AM   #66
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Very sorry ... I have many faults ... just ask my wife
Don't say that. You do good work.
Check this out a circa 2001/2002 commercial for BMW and iPod. It's funny that I actually remember seeing this when I was a wee lad still in HS before I'd ever thought I would driving a BMW and looking for the best iPod connection for my BMW.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:47 AM   #67
steve.325i

haha - Thank you.

btw - I finally got my vent out. whoo-hoo.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #68
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Don't say that. You do good work.
Check this out a circa 2001/2002 commercial for BMW and iPod. It's funny that I actually remember seeing this when I was a wee lad still in HS before I'd ever thought I would driving a BMW and looking for the best iPod connection for my BMW.

I'm glad you found that... I referenced that commercial in my iPod article in Boston Bimmer magazine (page 20):
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/BostonBimmer.pdf
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #69
delmarco

Steve,
I'm about to order the kit but just wanted to clear up a few things regarding the installation and rewind/fast forward features.
1. Is the SPECModule-to-Car cable long enough to run the connection from the trunk to the dash area where I will keep the USA-SPEC module hidden behind the dash and the iPod nearby in the glovebox?
I do not want the the SPEC nor the iPod in the trunk . I also don't want to stuff the SPEC and my iPod under and around my armrest console.

2. I downloaded the manuals and according to them the PA11 and a first edition version of PA12 allowed for ffw and rwd inside a currently playing song file by pressing the Random button and then the FFW and RWD buttons. Now in a 10-07-08 addendum notice the PA12 was said to be updated to improve handling of audiobooks and iPhone streaming by creating a the iPod Direct feature at Button #4 w/ AUX on or Button #5 w/ AUX off. However the notice did not say that the newer PA12 lost the ability to use the Random mode to Fast Forward and Rewind inside the currently playing song file. Not sure if you know about using the Random mode or not? But please advise.
Thanks.

See picture:

Last edited by delmarco; 11-22-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #70
steve.325i

Quote:
Steve,
I'm about to order the kit but just wanted to clear up a few things regarding the installation and rewind/fast forward features.
1. Is the SPECModule-to-Car cable long enough to run the connection from the trunk to the dash area where I will keep the USA-SPEC module hidden behind the dash and the iPod nearby in the glovebox?
I do not want the the SPEC nor the iPod in the trunk . I also don't want to stuff the SPEC and my iPod under and around my armrest console.

2. I downloaded the manuals and according to them the PA11 and a first edition version of PA12 allowed for ffw and rwd inside a currently playing song file by pressing the Random button and then the FFW and RWD buttons. Now in a 10-07-08 addendum notice the PA12 was said to be updated to improve handling of audiobooks and iPhone streaming by creating a the iPod Direct feature at Button #4 w/ AUX on or Button #5 w/ AUX off. However the notice did not say that the newer PA12 lost the ability to use the Random mode to Fast Forward and Rewind inside the currently playing song file. Not sure if you know about using the Random mode or not? But please advise.
Thanks.

See picture:
re: #1 - yup, the cable is 15 ft or so.

re: #2 - I will test out the FF/RWD with RND mode enabled and get back to you later today if that's ok. This may be worth a email to usa-spec support before you buy if its version number dependant.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #71
delmarco

Steve,
It no rush buddy. You've already done enough for all of us. Go and enjoy your day.
Thanks.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #72
Dan99

My Ride: 2001 330xi
we need some more customer review on this product
Old 11-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #73
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan99 View Post
we need some more customer review on this product
When I buy it I will throw up a thorough Pictorial Installation DIY and advanced video REVEIW of everything this USA-SPEC is capable of.

I surprised that the SOUND or In Car Entertainment sections doesn't have more substantial information on In Car Entertainment equipment.

Ask a question in there and some sponsor is on it like a fly on horsesh!t trying to get you to buy a fcuking DICE unit. "DICE DICE DICE DICE DICE DICE buy my DICE"...it's all they ever say like robots.

Every question I ever asked in that section was eventually not answered with constant cajoling of "you have to buy a DICE unit from my website" to fix your car.

And I almost bought one too.

Thanks goodness for people like Steve who not only refuse to drink the Kool Aide but he was insightful enough to show us via video demonstration that the Kool Aid was poisoned!

Here is a video of the unpackaging and installation

Last edited by delmarco; 11-22-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #75
jkwon

My Ride: AUDI
It's been a number of months since I've had this unit. Not a single problem with it so far. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is the playlist controls. I created a "BMW1", "BMW2" and so on playlists on my ipod and associated certain genres to the playlist. When I go to play it in my car it seems to just play whatever it wants. To be honest, I just skimmed the manual and haven't investigated that deeply. I'm sure I'll figure it out. I've changed out my cup holder out for a eurotray because I didn't like the ipod cable just dangling out the side of the console. Luckily, the back of the eurotray has an opening where you can just feed the cable through. Much better.

Next step is to pull the cables from underneath the carpet and reroute it to under the dash as per the BSW DICE installation video. I really wished I saw that video before installing mine.

If you're like me and just like to listen to certain genres and don't care what song comes on next then this is the device for you. The Business CD has a random button and it works with the USA spec device. I have over 60 GB of music and cannot search through them while I'm driving. I have also noticed that if you disconnect your ipod and navigate to a genre, artist or album and start playing it, you can connect it the cable and it will play from there.
jkwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #76
jzwu

Do you have factory Nav. system?
Old 11-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #77
jkwon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
Do you have factory Nav. system?
If you're talking to me then no I do not have a Nav. If I did, I wouldn't have bought the USA spec. I would have did what sna77 did and get the Intravee II.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #78
jzwu

Thanks for confirming. Well it sucks that I have factory Nav. I have been looking for a kit that will work but .....

The Intravee II is a bit more than I want to spend and it is in UK.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #79
jkwon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
Thanks for confirming. Well it sucks that I have factory Nav. I have been looking for a kit that will work but .....

The Intravee II is a bit more than I want to spend and it is in UK.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like it won't work for you. I have no experience with the USA spec and a OEM nav. I would imagine that it would work just the same if not better since the nav has more controls, but again I can't confirm. I just think that the Intravee would be a better solution if I had a nav. Even though it costs more.

You can buy the intravee in the US:
http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catal...-item-166.html

You should try the USA spec on the oem nav. I'd like to know how the controls are. It would be cool if it was able to display the album art cover.

If you were in NY. I would be willing to install it on your car just to see how it's like.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #80
jzwu

I heard about problems with factory Nav. from GROM, ICE, and USA Spec. The installation seems straight forward for trunk CD changer connection.

Intravee II sounds like the best solution so far.