E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #141
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum0486 View Post
Does anyone know if the USA-Spec will work with a Prof CD HU from 2001?
I have never heard of this HU. Can anyone help?
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #142
redrum0486

My Ride: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
I have never heard of this HU. Can anyone help?
It's the unit in my sig. I've been on the fence a lot lately about getting an iPod/iPhone interface for my car. I have an aftermarket trunk-mounted sirius receiver hooked up to the CD changer harness, and I do not want to lose that. Since the HU I have is for 01, and SV 38, it doesn't support the AUX input. It operates pretty much the same as the Business CD.

| 2011 328i xDrive | Titanium Silver [B]|
Past: | 2004 330xi | Titanium Silver
redrum0486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #143
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum0486 View Post
It's the unit in my sig. I've been on the fence a lot lately about getting an iPod/iPhone interface for my car. I have an aftermarket trunk-mounted sirius receiver hooked up to the CD changer harness, and I do not want to lose that. Since the HU I have is for 01, and SV 38, it doesn't support the AUX input. It operates pretty much the same as the Business CD.
First, your sig is cool.

Yup, I understand that you don't want to loose your Sirrus.

The two units will share the audio channel to the HU. The audio output from the Sirrus will have to be redirected to USA-Spec Aux-Input. You have to have SW#1 on the USA-Spec in the ON position & then the CD-6 will select the Aux-In audio.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:58 AM   #144
rellik

My Ride: is too slow...
just installed the USA Spec, and it all seems to work so far, but when I plug in my iPhone 3Gs, the phone goes into 'device not supported' mode and asks if I want to go into airplane mode. I tap no and everything seems to work fine other than that annoying message. It's late and just got done with the install so I might be able to work some bugs out of it tomorrow, but anyone have the same issue or have any thoughts?
Sport, Cold Weather and Premium Packages * Dinan TCAI * Dinan Stage II engine software * Dinan performance tranny software * UUC TSE3 * ///M3 Steering wheel * ///M3 lip spoiler * UUC Slotted Front Rotors * Powerflex FCAB's * KONI FSD's * UUC StrutBarbarian * 35% tint * OEM (ULO) clears * 5000k bulbs * NGK Iridiums * Stewart WP * Delmarco's Bluetooth retrofit * LED Angel Eyes * 3K HID Fogs * USA Spec
rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #145
rellik

My Ride: is too slow...
Well, its actually worse than i initially thought. Not only does my iPhone 3Gs want to limp in airplane mode, it wants to do it everytime I change playlists. The Icing on the cake is that I also have some sweet engine noise. I'm about ready to rip it out and buy a dice and connect it straight to the back of my radio. Lend me a hand here gents....

EDIT: Needed a firmware update. Sent it back to USA Spec got it back with firmware update and now works as advertised. Apparently Crutchfield had OLD back stock. Lucky me...but it's good to go now and I'm stoked.
Sport, Cold Weather and Premium Packages * Dinan TCAI * Dinan Stage II engine software * Dinan performance tranny software * UUC TSE3 * ///M3 Steering wheel * ///M3 lip spoiler * UUC Slotted Front Rotors * Powerflex FCAB's * KONI FSD's * UUC StrutBarbarian * 35% tint * OEM (ULO) clears * 5000k bulbs * NGK Iridiums * Stewart WP * Delmarco's Bluetooth retrofit * LED Angel Eyes * 3K HID Fogs * USA Spec

Last edited by rellik; 01-25-2010 at 05:06 PM.
rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #146
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellik View Post
Well, its actually worse than i initially thought. Not only does my iPhone 3Gs want to limp in airplane mode, it wants to do it everytime I change playlists. The Icing on the cake is that I also have some sweet engine noise. I'm about ready to rip it out and buy a dice and connect it straight to the back of my radio. Lend me a hand here gents....
Replyed in your other thread, not I'm not that helpful with the iPhone.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...light=usa+spec

& no, the Dice has noise issues, not the USA-Spec.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #147
steve.325i

Hi, I have been PM's a few times about this recently, so I decided to post it ....

Here is what happens in CD-6 mode:

- no song information is displayed on the HU

- iPod is unlocked meaning full control of the iPod using the buttons on the iPod

- << and >> buttons on the HU still select next & beginning/previous song
Old 12-28-2009, 11:52 PM   #148
steve.325i

Note to iPhone 3G users

Thanks to rellik for the link:

http://usaspec.com/module.php?Module....news&NewsID=8

Important iPhone 3Gs Updates!
Date: 2009-07-31

Important iPhone 3Gs Updates!

USA SPEC INTERFACES

3Gs iPhone COMPATIBLE!!

Current USA SPEC interfaces work with the 3G iPhone and 3Gs iPhone phones that have been upgraded with the new 3Gs software.

USA SPEC interfaces work with the 3Gs iPhone, but there are 2 possible problems that may occur related to the age of your USA SPEC interface.

Constant Repeated message: "This accessory is not made for this device"

When first connected to the 3Gs iPhone, USA SPEC interfaces may normally display a message “This accessory is not made for this device”.

This message is a normal part of operation with iPhone and does not indicate a problem. Phone will then ask” Do you want to switch to AIRPLANE mode?” You simply answer no, and your iPod is set for normal operation.

However, If this message constantly repeats at the beginning of every song, it indicates the firmware in your USA SPEC device is not the most current!

For all interfaces purchased from 5/1/09, USA SPEC will upgrade your firmware at no charge (customer responsible for shipping charges to USA SPEC). If you require this service, please email USA SPEC tech support at usa_spec@msn.com

New 3Gs phone not charging:

If you’re new 3Gs is not charging it indicates you have an older USA SPEC interface that came with the old style charging cable.

Since January of 2009, USA SPEC has been packaging all models with our new 3G charging cable. The new cable charges all the new iPods/iPhones and is backward compatible with al older iPod models.

If you have an older USA SPEC interface you can purchase the new charging cable separately. These new cables are available though USA SPECand USA SPEC dealers.

For all older PA10/11/12 models use the CB-PA85 cable

For all PA15/20 models use the CB-PA105 cable
Old 12-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #149
andres2882

My Ride: 00 323Ci
Steve, I wanted to thank you for all your helpful insights and outright dedication to helping fellow fanatics

I think I am pretty much sold on this product, especially since ChrisTKHarris confirmed that I can play Pandora through my car speakers! My only lingering question concerns the new dual mode. Can anyone confirm whether I can just use this mode to pick directly from my iphone what I want to play? I rarely use my "ipod" feature (prefer pandora) so those few times where I can pick a song would be a plus!
andres2882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:42 AM   #150
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres2882 View Post
Steve, I wanted to thank you for all your helpful insights and outright dedication to helping fellow fanatics

I think I am pretty much sold on this product, especially since ChrisTKHarris confirmed that I can play Pandora through my car speakers! My only lingering question concerns the new dual mode. Can anyone confirm whether I can just use this mode to pick directly from my iphone what I want to play? I rarely use my "ipod" feature (prefer pandora) so those few times where I can pick a song would be a plus!
Just completing the link between the two threads ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
Yeah it works. I'm using a 3G with 3.0 firmware with Pandora v2.0.3.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...5&postcount=17
Old 01-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #151
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmc54 View Post
All i want to do is put all of my ipod songs on random and press up on my steering wheel to scroll though tracks.

Can I do this? Do i put the headunit on RND* or put the ipod on shuffle?

Also I don't have a mode button, so what do I press to go to my ipod?
This is how mine is set up now. I put it on playlist 5 and press RND on the head unit. It's so cool because I now have 1000 of my favorite songs just playing nonstop in random order. No more scanning though radio stations, fumbling with CD's or paying for satellite radio, this thing is awesome

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #152
andres2882

Just ordered mine today from PacificStereo for $110 and am looking forward to it!
Old 01-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #153
homerbrew

My Ride: 2005 325Ci Conv
Does the USA-SPEC remember that the iPod was in random mode between starts? For example I have to remember to hit RND on my Dice every time I start my car, and it is really annoying (among other things that annoy me about the Dice). If it could do that and eliminate the static noise I always hear from my trunk install (I have Sirius so Radio install is not an option), then I would put my Dice up for sale and buy the USA-SPEC.
homerbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #154
andres2882

Quick question: As I have the 00-01 Business CD head unit, will I push the CD button to get to my iphone?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #155
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerbrew View Post
Does the USA-SPEC remember that the iPod was in random mode between starts? For example I have to remember to hit RND on my Dice every time I start my car, and it is really annoying (among other things that annoy me about the Dice). If it could do that and eliminate the static noise I always hear from my trunk install (I have Sirius so Radio install is not an option), then I would put my Dice up for sale and buy the USA-SPEC.
No, the RND is actually not 'sticky' and I think it's the HU's problem - not the iPod interface - but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres2882 View Post
Quick question: As I have the 00-01 Business CD head unit, will I push the CD button to get to my iphone?
Correct - according to the manual under section 5.2:

http://www.usaspec.com/userfiles/edi...581PA12BMW.pdf

This Manual update is also good to read:

http://www.usaspec.com/userfiles/edi...angeNotice.doc
Old 01-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #156
andres2882

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #157
bdelima

My Ride: 2010 135i
I'd like to pick up a usa-spec for my 2003 330i zhp, but can't figure out which one I need. I have the HK system (with the button just above the ashtray). I believe it's the standard stereo for '03 330i ZHP cars. Usaspec.com lists both dsp and non-dsp units as possible choices. Crutchfeild says it takes the dsp variety. Does anyone out there have the same factory HK system I do? If so which usaspec unit did you install?
bdelima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #158
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelima View Post
I'd like to pick up a usa-spec for my 2003 330i zhp, but can't figure out which one I need. I have the HK system (with the button just above the ashtray). I believe it's the standard stereo for '03 330i ZHP cars. Usaspec.com lists both dsp and non-dsp units as possible choices. Crutchfeild says it takes the dsp variety. Does anyone out there have the same factory HK system I do? If so which usaspec unit did you install?
Hi, according to sna77 (please see post # 51 of this thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
DSP = Digital Sound Processing. An option on the 5 & 7. Never on any e46 3, so no need to worry about it...
If you go to www.usaspec.com & punch in your vehicle then the p/n PA12-BMW should pop up.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #159
bdelima

My Ride: 2010 135i
Thanks Steve for the response. I did go to usaspec.com and punched in my car info, and it came back with *both* part numbers as being options. While I know that my year e46 did not come with dsp in the classic sense, there seems to be some confusion about whether that little button with the speaker on it is what makes the car "dsp". There's really only 2 choices for e46 audio options .. one comes with that button, the other one not. Guess I'll call usaspec today adn see what they say. Just figured someone on this thread must have already tried the usapec with this setup and gotten it working.
bdelima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #160
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
There shouldn't be anymore confusion re the button on 3 series. Button or no button Hk or no Hk, you don't have DSP. I have HK and the "button" and I plugged an aftermarket music adaptor into the trunk cd changer connection. I did NOT get any special DSP version.

I think the actual cars with DSP use an optical digital cable/signal. Perhaps some euro 3 series had a DSP option.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote