E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

View Poll Results: Left Turn Lane
Wait in the middle of the intersection 47 75.81%
Wait behind the line 8 12.90%
It depends (explain) / Needs more Boxxy 7 11.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Left Turn Lane (must yield to oncoming traffic) Situation...

Here's the situation:

I pulled into a left turn lane where my light was green, but there was a dense pack of cars steadily coming the other direction. It wasn't a left turn arrow, so I had to yield of course.

Since I could see there was no opening for me to go through soon, I waited at the crosswalk as to avoid being stuck in the intersection. (I HATE when people do this, and sometimes end up blocking the intersection if traffic on the cross street is stopped - leading to lots of honking, etc.).

Naturally, there's some guy behind me honking and making hand gestures . There wasn't a big line of cars behind me or anything, what did he expect, me to drive into oncoming traffic?!

Anyway, I notice a lot of people doing this thing where they drive out into the middle of the intersection, wait and wait, then it turns red, and they try to sneak through as the other traffic already starts going. I think it's stupid, but multiple other people I have spoken to think otherwise.

What's your take?

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Allure
Banned

My Ride: Is Slower Than Yours
I choose A, final answer.
Allure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
One car is ok. Because during the yellow-then-red sequence, there's enough time/room for one car to make the left before the cross traffic starts to roll through the intersection.

If I'm the second car, I just wait and if there are pedestrians, I wait behind the crosswalk.

I thing I miss about Tucson (maybe all of AZ) is that the left turn arrows FOLLOW the green, instead of being before them. That way, you don't worry about being stuck out in the intersection when the cross traffic light turns green.

Good for you for being considerate to the cross traffic and not wanting to block the intersection, though.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
southpaw

My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
One car is ok. Because during the yellow-then-red sequence, there's enough time/room for one car to make the left before the cross traffic starts to roll through the intersection.

If I'm the second car, I just wait and if there are pedestrians, I wait behind the crosswalk.
This.

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
dmon_101

My Ride: has sexy fogs/shoes
Send a message via AIM to dmon_101
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
This.

Dealer Programmable Options | Projector Fogs FTW
There are a lot of Fs and too many Ks in the F/M/K scenario <- posted before I met my wife
To answer your question, it's something you can find by searching the forum or using Google
dmon_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Wes

need moar boxxy
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
w0w

My Ride: '02 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
this.
+1
Old 08-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post

I thing I miss about Tucson (maybe all of AZ) is that the left turn arrows FOLLOW the green, instead of being before them. That way, you don't worry about being stuck out in the intersection when the cross traffic light turns green.

Good for you for being considerate to the cross traffic and not wanting to block the intersection, though.
I agree, yet I all too commonly see 2 or 3 cars out there, and with oncoming cars barely making the red, it just looks unsafe

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
mkodama

At least one car must be in the intersection and be ready to make the left turn. That way, before the light turns red, at least one car will make it through as opposed to staying behind the crosswalk where nobody will make it through.

Only time I would stay behind the crosswalk and not go into the middle is if the street I'm planning to turn onto is full of other cars and making the turn would leave me stuck in the intersection.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #10
mindofarock

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
At least one car must be in the intersection and be ready to make the left turn. That way, before the light turns red, at least one car will make it through as opposed to staying behind the crosswalk where nobody will make it through.

Only time I would stay behind the crosswalk and not go into the middle is if the street I'm planning to turn onto is full of other cars and making the turn would leave me stuck in the intersection.
I don't care how many people honk, if the street I'm turning into is full I'm not going to take it. That's a ticketable offense.

Blocking intersections = Srs Bsns.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #11
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindofarock View Post
I don't care how many people honk, if the street I'm turning into is full I'm not going to take it. That's a ticketable offense.

Blocking intersections = Srs Bsns.
couple hundred dollar fine around here.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:48 PM   #12
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
i was the guy trying to force you into oncoming traffic

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #13
Dan99

My Ride: 2001 330xi
this is common sense if u ask me; option a.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #14
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Here's the situation:

I pulled into a left turn lane where my light was green, but there was a dense pack of cars steadily coming the other direction. It wasn't a left turn arrow, so I had to yield of course.

Since I could see there was no opening for me to go through soon, I waited at the crosswalk as to avoid being stuck in the intersection. (I HATE when people do this, and sometimes end up blocking the intersection if traffic on the cross street is stopped - leading to lots of honking, etc.).

Naturally, there's some guy behind me honking and making hand gestures . There wasn't a big line of cars behind me or anything, what did he expect, me to drive into oncoming traffic?!

Anyway, I notice a lot of people doing this thing where they drive out into the middle of the intersection, wait and wait, then it turns red, and they try to sneak through as the other traffic already starts going. I think it's stupid, but multiple other people I have spoken to think otherwise.

What's your take?

dude..i hate people like you. come to nyc (where real men drive) and see how pissed they'd get at you. if everyone did what you did in my city, no car could ever turn left again
Old 08-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #15
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
if there is a lot of cars then u wait behind. if a couple then u should go in middle.

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:02 AM   #16
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post

dude..i hate people like you. come to nyc (where real men drive) and see how pissed they'd get at you. if everyone did what you did in my city, no car could ever turn left again
OP spent most of his life growing up in a town with little traffic and now he is living in LA.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:05 AM   #17
jailonacs99

My Ride: 2011 335is
In CA, as the light is changing, a reasonable (1 to 2) amount of cars completing a left-hand turn have the right of way before cross-traffic is allowed to proceed past them. Basically, if you're in the intersection before the light turns red you're allowed to complete your turn.

If you see that the perpendicular lane you would be turning into is full, thus leaving you in the intersection, then you don't want to pass the crosswalk. Otherwise, it's perfectly legal to wait in the intersection to complete your turn as the light is turning red or just after if you're already in the intersection.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:06 AM   #18
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
OP spent most of his life growing up in a town with little traffic and now he is living in LA.
i hope they tear him a new one
Old 08-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #19
dmon_101

My Ride: has sexy fogs/shoes
Send a message via AIM to dmon_101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
In CA, as the light is changing, a reasonable (1 to 2) amount of cars completing a left-hand turn have the right of way before cross-traffic is allowed to proceed past them. Basically, if you're in the intersection before the light turns red you're allowed to complete your turn.

If you see that the perpendicular lane you would be turning into is full, thus leaving you in the intersection, then you don't want to pass the crosswalk. Otherwise, it's perfectly legal to wait in the intersection to complete your turn as the light is turning red or just after if you're already in the intersection.
I wonder what all the red-light cameras in my neighborhood would think about that

Dealer Programmable Options | Projector Fogs FTW
There are a lot of Fs and too many Ks in the F/M/K scenario <- posted before I met my wife
To answer your question, it's something you can find by searching the forum or using Google
dmon_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:09 AM   #20
blownE30M3

My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
That's what we like to call a Los Angeles left.

Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote