E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
swapping CCFL angel eyes to LED question

I got tired of replacing the ballasts on my predator chromiums so I bought some 81 LED AEs. It came with just the rings, 4 butt connectors and 2 splice connectors. I'm not sure about how i'm supposed to use these connectors as there was no directions. I'm thinking I have to just delete the ballasts/inverters and wire these directly to the positive and negative previously connected. Is this correct? I'm going to be soldering all connections.

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Each ring will have a white and black wire coming out the back. On the driver's side, take the black wire from the inner ring, black wire from the outer ring and connect it to the brown or black wire on your wiring harness (negative). Then take the two white wires and do the same to the red positive wire on the harness. Repeat for the passenger side. I recommend using butt connectors or soldering these connections.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
cool
thanks nick

I pm'd Jon but I was too impatient to wait for an answer so I asked here lol.

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
Make sure you fit the rings and run the black and white wires out of your headlight first before connecting them up or you might have problems if the hole in your headlights isn't very big. I ran into this problem last night when doing mine.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Each ring will have a white and black wire coming out the back. On the driver's side, take the black wire from the inner ring, black wire from the outer ring and connect it to the brown or black wire on your wiring harness (negative). Then take the two white wires and do the same to the red positive wire on the harness. Repeat for the passenger side. I recommend using butt connectors or soldering these connections.
Why is it wrong to delete the ballasts on the Predator Chromiums, and probably use a smaller fuse, say 5A, to power the A/E's?
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
Many330i

^^^^
Old 09-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

The Predator Chromiums are a CCFL kit and require a ballast. I was talking about the LED kits which direct connect to the harness and have no ballast.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
and for the LED AEs you only need a 2amp fuse.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
Many330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
The Predator Chromiums are a CCFL kit and require a ballast. I was talking about the LED kits which direct connect to the harness and have no ballast.
I heard you but my question still remain...what if I want to delete the ballast on the CCFL's - what are the consequences if I use say a 5A (or less like 1A) fuse without those suckers? Will I burn the halos or something?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:10 AM   #10
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
I heard you but my question still remain...what if I want to delete the ballast on the CCFL's - what are the consequences if I use say a 5A (or less like 1A) fuse without those suckers? Will I burn the halos or something?
The halos will not be powered without the ballast/power converter, they are required for a CCFL setup.