E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
wadw

My Ride: 323i 2000 Sedan
Window goes only on one direction

So I have been troubleshooting my BMW 323i 2000, for quite a while and it makes no absolute sense. I am not so familiar with car wiring etc but I have electrical engineering background so I know few things.

The current that comes out of the window motor wires is only for one direction.
It is the left side passenger window (US model)

I tried changing switches between one that I know to work and another switch.

I tried placing the motor in another window to see if it is working and it is.

The main concern is that the current is going towards one direction and this problem exists with the lock actuator for another door on the same side (Left side). The lock only unlocks but doesn't lock so I have to do that manually.

Moreover the same issue exists with the fuel door lock actuator, the actuator only unlocks but doesn't lock.

I preformed the same troubleshooting to every motor and I am not so sure if the problem is related but my first conclusion was that the main relay of the car is broken in some way. But I don't know where that relay is and how it is called.

Ask any clarifications you wish. I will post pictures of the progress.

Any help? Thanks
wadw is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
-lynel-

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
are these the only issues you have? nothing else niggling like dash lights staying on, or indicators not flashing?

with your background you will be able to read diagrams better then someone like me, so chase down the k-bus pinout and wiring diagram online and see if there is a common bus these issues share on the k-bus and have a look. The k-bus has all kinds of weird things go wrong from central locking to lights indicators and and climate control.
-lynel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
wadw

looks like it is the general control unit that is the common link between all of these. But I am not sure how to confirm that.

Will the general control unit burn if I operate it with half the cables connected in order to test where is it the affected areas?
Old 05-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
nidnarb

My Ride: 323i Touring
I have this same problem in my 2000 323i wagon. I had replaced the door actuator and the rear window motor and both still dont work. I called and talked to Scott about it and I'm sending him my GM5 to get fixed. I would recommend the same as he can diagnose it and fix the same problems you have as me.
nidnarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
wadw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidnarb View Post
I have this same problem in my 2000 323i wagon. I had replaced the door actuator and the rear window motor and both still dont work. I called and talked to Scott about it and I'm sending him my GM5 to get fixed. I would recommend the same as he can diagnose it and fix the same problems you have as me.
I already spoke to scott, he said it is partially working its most likely not the GM5. I will probably reach out to him again.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Commando

My Ride: '02 325Ci MT '04 M3
Its the GM5 relays. Easy to DIY.
Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
nidnarb

My Ride: 323i Touring
I will say this again. I had the exact problem, sent to Scott, 6 of my 8 relays in my GM5 were bad. This is after i replaced my regulator and my lock actuator.
nidnarb is offline   Reply With Quote