E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 02:33 PM   #21
zaharias

My Ride: Now has a 3lt :P
Very nice thread and well done conversion stuartjohn24

I have a 16V 318ci (2lt 4cylinder 143ps 2002 model)
Iam thinking of doing a complete M54B30 engine transplant with all the necessairy stuff.. My car is already drive by wire and cooling system seems to be the same except some new radiator hoses that seem to be needed.. That means less parts needed..
I think it will be an easy DIY for me..

As i read above, you got keys and ecu from the 325.. When everything was fitted, did the car started at once with no issues and failures? You used the 325 engine keys? (of course afterwards you can program your key so that you don't have to carry two keys..)
Old 04-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #22
stuartjohn24

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Thanks for the nice comments!

You have the valvetronic engine, yes i think it will be simpler for you if you already have some of the parts required!

The EWS, this is always a subject of debate! I purchased an ECU, matching EWS two keys and the ignition lock barrel.

Basically all i did was:

1. Removed the old ECU and fitted the new 325 ECU (from the breakers)
2. Removed the old EWS unit (from under the dash) and fitted the new matching one for the 325 ECU
3. Removed the old lock barrel (insert the old key, turn to pos1, you will notice a small hole approx 1mm in diameter next to the key entry, insert a small drill bit until you hear a click, then pull they key and lock from the steering column, simply push in the new lock)

I re-connected the battery, inserted the new key, turned the ignition on, cranked, and it started first time!

Yes im using the new keys that came with the new ECU and EWS.

The immobiliser system on these cars is very clever and unfortunately I do not know of any cost effective work around! (i.e. cheaper than buying a second hand set!)

Hope this helps!
stuartjohn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #23
zaharias

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
Thanks for the nice comments!

You have the valvetronic engine, yes i think it will be simpler for you if you already have some of the parts required!

The EWS, this is always a subject of debate! I purchased an ECU, matching EWS two keys and the ignition lock barrel.

Basically all i did was:

1. Removed the old ECU and fitted the new 325 ECU (from the breakers)
2. Removed the old EWS unit (from under the dash) and fitted the new matching one for the 325 ECU
3. Removed the old lock barrel (insert the old key, turn to pos1, you will notice a small hole approx 1mm in diameter next to the key entry, insert a small drill bit until you hear a click, then pull they key and lock from the steering column, simply push in the new lock)

I re-connected the battery, inserted the new key, turned the ignition on, cranked, and it started first time!

Yes im using the new keys that came with the new ECU and EWS.

The immobiliser system on these cars is very clever and unfortunately I do not know of any cost effective work around! (i.e. cheaper than buying a second hand set!)

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply my friend..

Iam about to begin and iam trying to find what problems will i face so that i will be ready to solve them..

Iam waiting for the engine and all the rest to come..
Old 05-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #24
zaharias

Is there any DIY on how to take out the ingnition switch..??
Old 05-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #25
zaharias

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharias View Post
Is there any DIY on how to take out the ingnition switch..??
?????????
Old 07-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #26
zaharias

Question emission control pump question??

Guys, does anybody know something or gone this through??
My older engine HAD an emission control pump and the M54B30 now doesn't have it, if i leave it unplugged, will i have a CEL guys..??
Thank you!!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #27
stuartjohn24

hi, sory for not being on here in such a long time! I guess you have sorted the ignition switch?

if not, put the key in, turn to pos 1 or 2 i cant remember off hand, you will see right next to where they key inserts there is a little hole, push a small drill bit through 1 - 1.5mm in diameter. gently apply pressure and you should feel it click in. now pull the key and lock from the steering column. it will come out with the immobiliser pick-up ring.

As for your emission pump? you are fitting an engine that dosent have it? but you still have the wiring in the engine bay for the old one? in that case leave it unconnected, it wont do any harm.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:22 AM   #28
zaharias

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
hi, sory for not being on here in such a long time! I guess you have sorted the ignition switch?

if not, put the key in, turn to pos 1 or 2 i cant remember off hand, you will see right next to where they key inserts there is a little hole, push a small drill bit through 1 - 1.5mm in diameter. gently apply pressure and you should feel it click in. now pull the key and lock from the steering column. it will come out with the immobiliser pick-up ring.

As for your emission pump? you are fitting an engine that dosent have it? but you still have the wiring in the engine bay for the old one? in that case leave it unconnected, it wont do any harm.

Hope this helps!
It's ok mate.. I sorted it out.. Yes, the emission pump plug is unplugged right now and i have no error..
As for the keys, i didn't change them with my old ones and i haven't touched the ignition switch.. I send my keys-ecu-ews to a guy and programmed-paired them and iam fine..
The only problem that i have is that the battery at one of my keys died and i have to read here what to do..
Thanks!!
Old 02-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #29
zaharias

You left the cluster from the 318 or you changed it also with a 330 one (or you reprogrammed the 318)?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #30
stuartjohn24

Hi, nice! how much did that cost? so he is able to program the old key to work with the new ECU?

As for the cluster... ive had a few in it! I had an M3 one in there for a while, and change the indicator stalk as I didnt have the on board computer function. It worked ok, even on the 4 cyl, and on the 6 cyl, the one I have in there now I think is from a 320, im not exactly sure I got it from a breakers, it had a similar mileage to mine and a lockwood dial conversion.

I know you can re-program them for use with a 6cyl I would suggest thats the better option!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #31
zaharias

Hi mate. He charged me 300 euro to program the 2 master keys and pair them with the ecu-ews, i know its alot but i did n't want to change my ignition switch and have 2 keys. I know that you can re-program the cluster to work with the 6cyl and i think that i need to, cause my battery light in the cluster doesn't stay on when the key is at position 2. The alternator charges the battery and the car is working fine with no errors.. So i believe i have to program my cluster cause i haven't..
Old 03-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #32
Be.M.w.e46

My Ride: 323ci
this is a suspicious lot lol
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...3-rear-t75415/
Be.M.w.e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #33
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
I spot this car regularly. Always wondered what it was underneath.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #34
cassa-d

pm sent
cassa-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #35
mikeldoroba

My Ride: 318ci
hello i know this is a long time ago but i am going to do the same thing and would like your help i am thinking of geting a 330ci as a doner car and useing all the parts i need suspetion and drive sharfts and engine as well as ecu and what not but can i keep the rear diff and i think with a 330ci it might be fun but can you get in touch with me i would be gratful i live in the uk
mikeldoroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #36
mikeldoroba

My Ride: 318ci
i would really like to talk to you if you can get in contact with me would be a good help
mikeldoroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #37
mickydix

My Ride: bmw e46 318ci
HELLLPPP!!! I am doing the same I have the same car as you, same engine to do the conversion but im unsure on the drive by wire.
mickydix is offline   Reply With Quote