E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
gettin leid

My Ride: you
Deepest fear quote: afraid to succeed (thoughts wanted)

What do you guys think of the quote from the movie: "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

????
edit:
its from the movie "Coach Carter" but original author below
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Marianne_Williamson

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others

that part confuses me...

Last edited by gettin leid; 09-01-2009 at 08:29 PM.
gettin leid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Is that a Land Before Time 4 quote?
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Jerk_circus

My Ride: gets 70 m/gallon
I think it was Finding Nemo
Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin leid View Post
What do you guys think of the quote from the movie: "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

????
I could deal with being powerful beyond measure ...it would be cool to be a god.

I don't agree with it at all. It sounds like an excuse for people that have accepted mediocrity in their life.
Raymond42262 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
My biggest fear is being stung by a killer poisonous cone shell while diving. Dunno about that "powerful beyond measure" stuff.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Yeah... that's not my deepest fear at all, my deepest fear is what Class of '10 will be like.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
Parish_Rane

My Ride: '02 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
Yeah... that's not my deepest fear at all, my deepest fear is what Class of '10 will be like.

Deepest fear of mine would definitely not be that, my fear is to be average.
Fuk banks, who invented them? Useless sh!t, that's all I can say. I always deal with cash, with real money, not some numbers in a computer.
Parish_Rane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
A song lyric that really sticks in my head is "it's easier not to be great," from the song I Alone by Live. Most people are content with working for someone else and letting others shape society. It really does take a concerted effort from a person to have an impact. So, I don't really think it's a fear necessarily, but that you have to work your ass off to do great things and for most people it's asking too much.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
powerful beyond measure huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:51 AM   #10
gettin leid

My Ride: you
yeah.. i thought it was a stupid post.. guess you guys confirmed it.
gettin leid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:19 AM   #11
davyb

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330ci
i completely agree with what Parish Rane said,, biggest fear is of being average,,,
if the human race was afraid of being powerful, we would be perfectly happy with not exploring space and whatever else,, if we were afraid of being powerful, would we not still be "cavemen"?
davyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin leid View Post

????
edit:
its from the movie "Coach Carter" but original author below
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Marianne_Williamson

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others

that part confuses me...

The quote really seems to be about the fear of standing out from the crowd.

I would agree that standing out from the crowd is probably one of the more significant and widely shared fears out there. That's why so many people have a fear of public speaking. That's why people try so hard to dress in style, acquire trendy gadgets, and generally "fit in".

People who actually do make an effort to do their own thing and maybe chase a far out dream or hone a bizarre talent are actually pretty rare and are usually held in pretty high regard. Consider: ancient explorers, military tyrants, captains of industry, artists, musicians, etc.

Humans are capable of immense creativity but we often tone ourselves down so that we may be more easily accepted by those around us. I can see how this could be considered an act of caving to the insecurities of others.

Proably because deep down we are herd animals. It's OK to take a few steps away from the herd to establish your identity and make modest personal gains but eventually almost everyone reaches a point where they'd much rather run back to the herd rather then take another step away. It gets too risky. Which really just boils down to fear.

So yah, being inadequate and being "powerful beyond measure" are both significant fears that we all share. But the fear of being powerful beyond measure is probably the more widely shared and definitely the more harmful of the two.

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #13
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Makes no sense at all.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish_Rane View Post

Deepest fear of mine would definitely not be that, my fear is to be average.
Once you stop caring so much about what other people have you will be free of that fear. You'll accomplish things because you want to - not because you're afraid to look bad compared to other people.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote