E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #1
Kris.R

My Ride: 2012 Dodge Charger
Thumbs Up DIY: Infamous Squeaky/Whistling Brake Pedal

So I went through several of threads trying to find a cure for my issue. A brake pedal that would make a whistle type sound when the brake was applied and released. Everyone that had success with the noise being gone stated that the dealer changed the brake booster under the CPO and the sound went away. Since a brake booster is a pain in the ass to overhaul and wouldn't even seem that it would be the brake booster itself made me think that it was much more simple than that. Well, I certainly did find out that it was much more simple than that.

Parts to Purchase:
You will need part #4 and #5 from the diagram below.
The part number for #4 is 34336765316 (Gasket)
The part number for #5 is 34331160183 (Non-Return Valve)
Both parts cost around $20 from the dealership.

You will need to purchase a hose clamp like the one below.

Replacement Procedures:
- You will need a pair of plier cutters to cut the old clamp.
- After you have removed the old clamp, gently pull on the hose with the Non Return Valve connected to it and out of the brake booster.
- Now take a pair of adjustable pliers and clamp the old Non Return Valve and twist left to right while pulling it up and out of the hose.
- Once you have accomplished that, insert the new Non Return Valve by hand into the hose.
- Next, you will need to replace the Gasket on the brake booster from where you pulled the Non Return Valve.
- Once you've done that, go ahead and plug the Non Return Valve into the Gasket hole and clean up.

Now start your car and pump the brakes, guess what? No more whistling from the brake pedal!

*Everything provided in this DIY is at your own risk and I am not in any way responsible for your mistakes or broken parts resulting from non experienced persons.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

-Abraham Lincoln-

Last edited by Kris.R; 09-03-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Kris.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Chad44

My Ride: 03' Imola 330i ZHP
Why did I find this only after I just ordered my new booster? I would have happily tried this first... and still may.
Chad44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
djames00

My Ride: 328Ci
Question, there is a noise coming from the area of my brake booster, but it stays on all the time. I had to disconnect the battery to make it stop. Everything I have read about my brake pedal being stiff, and my codes (evap cap leak, 02 adaptation limit, ASC1, EGS1) point to vacuum leak, but I wanted to know if anyone else has had this combination of problems.
djames00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
yupi28

My Ride: BMW 325i 2001
Im having a similar problem i just got back from the shop and they told me i need to replace my break booster, i have a whistling sound coming from the brake pedal (inside the car) the sound only comes on when im NOT pressing down on the pedal.
whenever im pressing down on the pedal the sounds goes away.
The only reason why i refuse to think is the booster is because i feel no difference when i brake, it doesnt feel hard or anything.
Guys please help me out
Thanks in advance
yupi28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
yupi28

My Ride: BMW 325i 2001
I hope this is my problem

yupi28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
miclipse

My Ride: 330i
You can get to the brake booster from inside the engine. Here's a pic.
miclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
Itzed

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yupi28 View Post
Im having a similar problem i just got back from the shop and they told me i need to replace my break booster, i have a whistling sound coming from the brake pedal (inside the car) the sound only comes on when im NOT pressing down on the pedal.
whenever im pressing down on the pedal the sounds goes away.
The only reason why i refuse to think is the booster is because i feel no difference when i brake, it doesnt feel hard or anything.
Guys please help me out
Thanks in advance
I have the same issue with my 2004 325xi. I notice no performance problems or issues, but I have this annoying whine/whistle coming from the brake pedal area that goes away immediately as soon as I touch the brake pedal. It has to be vacuum, no?
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
TMoNeE

My Ride: 03' 325i
Ugh this problem has been making me crazy for like 2 months, THANK GOD I FOUND THIS THREAD, thanks for posting the fix!!
Old 11-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
TMoNeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzed View Post
I have the same issue with my 2004 325xi. I notice no performance problems or issues, but I have this annoying whine/whistle coming from the brake pedal area that goes away immediately as soon as I touch the brake pedal. It has to be vacuum, no?
It is vacuum, its vacuum getting where it shouldnt be because the non return valve is failing. At least in the TS case
Old 11-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
Itzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoNeE View Post
It is vacuum, its vacuum getting where it shouldnt be because the non return valve is failing. At least in the TS case
Is the return valve something that can be repaired by itself?
Old 11-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
TMoNeE

Quote:
Is the return valve something that can be repaired by itself?
No, but they are like 8 dollars at the dealership
Old 01-31-2011, 02:24 AM   #12
rsintopaz330

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoNeE View Post
No, but they are like 8 dollars at the dealership
Did it work for you? I tried this fix but still hear the noise.
rsintopaz330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
Nando779

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
Thanks Eazy, doing it this weekend.
Nando779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
e46_33Oci

My Ride: 330ci
I have this same exact problem. The High pitch whine comes on when the car gets hot and goes away if i rest my foot on the brake pedal. It would sometimes stay on after i turn off the engine and would last up to 15 sec. To the people who have tried this fix, please post your feedback on how the fix went.
e46_33Oci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
scarabsport

My Ride: E46M3
I tried the fix on my '02 325, ordered the seal and valve, but it doesn't seem to have had any effect.

It would seem there are different brake pedal "squeaks" folks encounter.

Like EasyE46 mine squeaks only upon releasing pressure on the brake pedal after having pressed it. Like others I don't notice any loss of braking power. And like others it drives me crazy.

Searching all over the Web it appears most but not all folks think the booster is the culprit, but I've had no luck finding a DIY on replacement.

So I suppose I have two queries:

1. Anyone have any suggestions I could try before attempting a booster replacement, and

2. How difficult is a replacement, and how much would an indie shop charge? (I guess that's 3 queries)
scarabsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #16
Itzed

Still watching and waiting for someone to find a fix for this. Anyone notice it's worse at certain warmer temperatures? Mine is not much of a problem in the cold winter until it gets warmer.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #17
e46_33Oci

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Still watching and waiting for someone to find a fix for this. Anyone notice it's worse at certain warmer temperatures? Mine is not much of a problem in the cold winter until it gets warmer.
my 330 has the same problem. it gets worse as temperatures get warmer.
e46_33Oci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #18
scarabsport

My Ride: E46M3
Still no answer. As Pooh would say "Oh Bother".

For those who have the diagnostic skills I sorely lack: In reference to the last two posts re the heat factor affect on the whistle, being in Florida it never goes away. I have no idea why. Every single time you press the brake pedal it squeak/whistles upon release of the pedal except if it is in park and you repeatedly press the pedal it goes away until you go to D and then it's back....no more vacuum left to whistle? But the engine doesn't stumble or change rpms.

I am about ready to go ahead and put a new servo in but am concerned it may be a 10 on the difficulty scale and my ability is a 7 at best. Any input on the difficulty level?

Maybe we should do a conference call with Click and Clack (JK)
scarabsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #19
Itzed

I partially solved this by trading cars with my wife, so I don't have to listen for it or bother with fixing it! Seriously, it is getting a little warmer out now so I am banking that my wife (who never hears car noises or ever feels car issues) might even notice it, since I pointed it out to her last summer. So if you can wait another couple weeks, I will be attempting this valve fix myself and will report what I find. One thing to keep in mind is that there seems to be absolutely no detrimental effect on performance in any way, so don't let your impatience get to you and spend a lot more money and time than you might have to. I will admit it is annoying though.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
vscotta

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Tried this fix. No dice! Darnit!

I should have posted this sooner. Sorry.

I was pretty pumped to find this link thinking i had finally found the cure for this extremely annoying whistling sound. I will say it may be slightly improved. Instead of only going away when I depress the brake pedal it now tails off under acceleration. Makes sense due to increased vacuum pressure. Just wondering if my only recourse now is changing the brake booster? Any other culprits?

Have been unlucky in getting the shop to reproduce since I try and bring it in only when I have a serious problem and the last few times it's been in winter or at least cooler since AZ winters are much warmer than most other places. They have not been able to reproduce it. I'll get it nice and warm and take the tech for a drive on Monday.
vscotta is offline   Reply With Quote