E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #41
ttrinh9

My Ride: BMW e46 330i
So did this DIY help anyone else here?? I have this high pitched whistle when car is warmed up.. It goes away as soon as I step foot on the brakes.. And comes back when I release.. Just looking for some successful feedback from people.. Thanks !

Last edited by ttrinh9; 10-18-2011 at 08:50 PM.
ttrinh9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #42
9Benua

My Ride: 02 330i
I got the whistle noise. It's gone when I slightly step foot on the brakes. Does it mean an easy fix or replacing the brake booster? My brake is working fine for now. Beside the annoying noise, will it somehow affect my brake? Is there any danger ignoring it? Money is a bit tight and I probably will need to do this next year instead if it's indeed the brake booster which will need to be replaced.
9Benua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #43
Itzed

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Benua View Post
I got the whistle noise. It's gone when I slightly step foot on the brakes. Does it mean an easy fix or replacing the brake booster? My brake is working fine for now. Beside the annoying noise, will it somehow affect my brake? Is there any danger ignoring it? Money is a bit tight and I probably will need to do this next year instead if it's indeed the brake booster which will need to be replaced.
I have lived with this for about a year and a half now, with no change in the sound, and no perceived negative effect on braking. However, I must state that YMMV, and for safety sake, you take your own chances and make your own decisions. We only hear it in the warm weather, and I gave the car to my wife, who turns up the radio. I am sure that I'll replace the brake booster next spring.

Ed
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #44
king2218

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Is there a danger in ignoring this? I have had the noise for about a year now
king2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #45
crazydave

My Ride: 2002 e46 330i
I had the whistle sound and a crumple sound during the release of the brake pedal.

It had been 5 years since I had a brake bleed (way overdue) so I did one this past weekend.

So far the bleed solved the noises.

I pumped the pedal until the creaking noise stopped, while at the same time, using a pressure bleed tool from Bavauto.

Time will tell if the sounds stay at bay.
Sent from my HERO200 using Bimmer
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #46
subliminalaudio

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris.R View Post
So I went through several of threads trying to find a cure for my issue. A brake pedal that would make a whistle type sound when the brake was applied and released. Everyone that had success with the noise being gone stated that the dealer changed the brake booster under the CPO and the sound went away. Since a brake booster is a pain in the ass to overhaul and wouldn't even seem that it would be the brake booster itself made me think that it was much more simple than that. Well, I certainly did find out that it was much more simple than that.

Parts to Purchase:
You will need part #4 and #5 from the diagram below.
The part number for #4 is 34336765316 (Gasket)
The part number for #5 is 34331160183 (Non-Return Valve)
Both parts cost around $20 from the dealership.

You will need to purchase a hose clamp like the one below.

Replacement Procedures:
- You will need a pair of plier cutters to cut the old clamp.
- After you have removed the old clamp, gently pull on the hose with the Non Return Valve connected to it and out of the brake booster.
- Now take a pair of adjustable pliers and clamp the old Non Return Valve and twist left to right while pulling it up and out of the hose.
- Once you have accomplished that, insert the new Non Return Valve by hand into the hose.
- Next, you will need to replace the Gasket on the brake booster from where you pulled the Non Return Valve.
- Once you've done that, go ahead and plug the Non Return Valve into the Gasket hole and clean up.

Now start your car and pump the brakes, guess what? No more whistling from the brake pedal!

*Everything provided in this DIY is at your own risk and I am not in any way responsible for your mistakes or broken parts resulting from non experienced persons.
=========================================================
sorry for reviving this old tread .

i will try this today . i went to the bmw and i spend 14 dlls for supplies and 1 dll for the clamp at napa.

lets see how it goes.

one question !! when i pull the hose will some liquid will be lost?

do i need to buy brake fluid ?

also i saw someone said to clean

is also necessary to clean the dc as someone else recommend here ?
subliminalaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #47
androofoo

My Ride: 03 BMW M3
^how did it go?

im getting a noise only when releasing the brake pedal. high pitch squeaking noise.
androofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #48
fire_andre

My Ride: E46 318i M43
my mechanic say that he maybe can solve the high pitch noise from brake booster when the brake not use and the noise gone when we step on the brake pedal without changing the brake booster.

he say that he will dismantle the booster and change the seals (/or parts?) in it. and it will cost me only USD$40-50 (cheap labor in Indonesia ). i will do the service about 2 or 3 weeks later because next weekend i have scheduled for vacation with my wife and friends .

so, next month i'll post the result after my mechanic fix it.
fire_andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #49
fire_andre

My Ride: E46 318i M43
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_andre View Post
my mechanic say that he maybe can solve the high pitch noise from brake booster when the brake not use and the noise gone when we step on the brake pedal without changing the brake booster.

he say that he will dismantle the booster and change the seals (/or parts?) in it. and it will cost me only USD$40-50 (cheap labor in Indonesia ). i will do the service about 2 or 3 weeks later because next weekend i have scheduled for vacation with my wife and friends .

so, next month i'll post the result after my mechanic fix it.
finally my brake booster is repaired, but unfortunately i can not post any picture because it was brought by my mechanic to a workshop that had a device that can pull out the seal and replaced with new seal with the device.

my mechanic alone with common tools can not remove or place the seal to the brake booster.

it cost me about us$33 (the workshop fee) and us$22 for my mechanic (his job is brake booster removal and replacing it back).

sorry that i can not give more info, but one thing for sure that the brake booster is repairable.

Last edited by fire_andre; 04-10-2012 at 01:27 AM.
fire_andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #50
ttrinh9

My Ride: BMW e46 330i
Any more input on this issue guys?
ttrinh9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #51
molten330ci

My Ride: 2002 330Ci - Red/Tan
couldn't stand the squeaky! sold it.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #52
NJfistpumpin

My Ride: 2003 OG M3
This is bothering me big time... You say sell it, I'd rather light it on fire...
Old 05-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #53
molten330ci

My Ride: 2002 330Ci - Red/Tan
Hah...I know how you feel, about a $600 repair done at dealershit.

Last edited by molten330ci; 05-05-2012 at 11:30 AM.
molten330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #54
NC BMW fan

My Ride: 2003 325I
I'm a new member here and first let me say this site is fantastic! There is a lot of great info here that has helped me work on my car. I have this same whistle/hissing noise on my car. I just took it to my mechanic today. Several things he pointed out that were mentioned on here. 1) it's a small vacuum leak in the brake booster due to a torn/work gasket. 2) the typical (according to him) culprit is a rubber gasket on the INSIDE of the firewall where the arm goes into the booster body/neck. I don't know yet if that gasket can be replaced or if a new booster is the only option.

I watched him trying to diagnose the problem. Unscrew the oil fill cap, but leave it on the valve cover. Gently lift up on it and feel if there is any vacuum resistance. There should not be. If there is, you have a vacuum leak AND the brake booster vacuum line attaches on the valve cover side of the engine. Not the intake side as most others do. I hope he's correct on this. I appreciate the $183 Pelican Parts heads up. My guy quoted me $900 parts and labor.
NC BMW fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #55
mxsoto15

My Ride: GSXR750, 2001 325Ci
I just had the same problem. Had the noise and when I would step on brake it would go away, also when I would open the oil cap it would go away. Saw this thread and bought the valve from my dealer for $11. Took me 5min. Fixed that annoying noise!!!! Thanks Kris.
mxsoto15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #56
NJfistpumpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsoto15 View Post
I just had the same problem. Had the noise and when I would step on brake it would go away, also when I would open the oil cap it would go away. Saw this thread and bought the valve from my dealer for $11. Took me 5min. Fixed that annoying noise!!!! Thanks Kris.
So I'm assuming the fix was easy? Any. Chance you have a couple pictures from the quick fix? I wanna do this next weekend and finally get rid of that absurdly Annoying noise
Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #57
dozug

My Ride: 1990 300zx twinturbo
has anyone resolve this? im the one who having the issue with the vaccum noise inside the car when i turn on the car and would go away if i apply brake or drive the car..

i have been having this nearly two years but yeah my brake works fine too.. I will try the replacing the parts above, but every mechanic i take it to say that I have to replace the booster, and quote me around $400~500.
dozug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #58
NC BMW fan

My Ride: 2003 325I
I have not bought the gasket yet to try it, but I have taken it out to inspect it. The gasket is intact so it looks like a new booster for me, but I'll spend the $10-$12 first to make sure. I'll let you know once I do it.
NC BMW fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #59
xxilikericexx

My Ride: E36 M3, E46 325i
Was anyone able to fix thier issue with a pedal that makes a crumpling/whistling sound only when depressed?
xxilikericexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #60
NJfistpumpin

So I was at Motorcepts in queens last week and Leo listened to the noise and said it was the brake master cylinder. That it's slowly starting to go and the whistle that you hear is vacuum leaking out and that it isn't completely bad until you hear a much louder whooshing sound. He said you can last 10-15 k miles with that before it should go bad. Hope this helps you guys I'll be getting it fixed within the next month..